Suggestions for a coffee in Piazzale Roma

Misty1937

Thanks to CC I have formed a lovely email friendship with a member from another country:). To date we have not met in person but our paths are about to cross. Our ships berth on the same day and we would like to get together in Piazzale Roma or nearby for a coffee and chat. Are there any coffee shops or the like in the area please where we can sit and have a quiet get together:confused:.

Thanks in anticipation, I am sure some of you wonderful people will be able to help us.

Cheers, Misty

I don't recall the name of the place, but there was a decent sized restaurant with a sidewalk cafe type seating, at Piazzale Roma, right across the street from the Vaporetto stop. Keep in mind, a coffee will probably be about 5 EUR each and they usually charge a 5 EUR seating fee. It might be easier to meet at the Vaporetto stop and then cross the street to the cafe, to make sure you meet up and don't miss each other. Piazzale Rome is a very busy square with lots of buses, taxis, cars, and people. Then depending on when you are there, the weather could be bad too. It was pouring rain when we were there, so that complicated getting around the square somewhat too. Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Good points, agabbymama. Perhaps not as easy to find a suitable cafe as appeared at first sight!:( Can anyone recommend a hotel in the area which might allow people to sit in their lounge or restaurant over a coffee? I know this was possible in the Lake Garda area where all the little hotels welcomed passing guests for a cool drink or a coffee.

Any other suggestions for a suitable meeting place? Perhaps in a side street off the Piazzale?

Thanks Agabbymama, that is really helpful advise. I had not thought about all the traffic but now you have alerted me to the fact we would probably be partaking of exhaust fumes as well as coffee, yuk. Thanks too Scotswoman what a brilliant idea of a hotel or similar. What a wonderful site this is with so many people willing to help, I look forward to any suggestions.

Cheers, Misty

Thanks copperski that sounds a good idea. Also with shops there we can browse if we want to fill in time waiting for each other. I notice they sell Murano glass there, is anyone aware how the prices compare.

Many thanks, Misty

Piazzale Roma is not the place for any kind of romantic liason :) It's purely functional; basicically a coach car park and taxi rank and the place where flight passengers from Treviso airport first arrive in Venice. Take the vap #1 to Accademia and enjoy each others company in one of the quietest and most pleasant quarters. It's only a two or three stops from Piazzale Roma. The Peggy Guggenheim museum is just around the corner and even if art doesn't usually rock your boat that musem might. I'm leaving for my cruise in 8 hrs! :eek::)

Piazzale Roma is not the place for any kind of romantic liason :) It's purely functional; basicically a coach car park and taxi rank and the place where flight passengers from Treviso airport first arrive in Venice. Take the vap #1 to Accademia and enjoy each others company in one of the quietest and most pleasant quarters. It's only a two or three stops from Piazzale Roma. The Peggy Guggenheim museum is just around the corner and even if art doesn't usually rock your boat that musem might. I'm leaving for my cruise in 8 hrs! :eek::)

Hello Saturated

What a pity I saw this post too late to wish you bon voyage, I do hope you check in again on your return. Your post gave me a wonderful laugh when you referred to a "Romantic Liason". My new found friend is, like myself, a Grandmother. I am sure our husbands would be highly amused too at the thought of a romantic liason. Regardless, thank you so much for your input which is well worth considering. As so often can happen one can misinterpret the written word so I hope this does not occur here as I am not ofended in any way and I really did enjoy my laugh as it was a grey cold windy winters day here. By the same token I hope you do not take offense as none is meant. I hope to receive a reply on your return and hear about your wonderful cruise.

Cheers, Misty

If you change your mind, there is a nice little hotel right there:

http://www.cadoge.it/index.htm

You could email them and see if they will allow you to rendezvous in their breakfast area. When I stayed there, everyone was quite nice.

Thank you so much Sargent Schultz for that good idea. I have looked at the web site and will confer with my friend to see what she wants to do.

Cheers, Misty

I stayed at Ca Doge in Piazzale Roma. I hesitated to offer that suggestion, as we were supposed to have a Continental breakfast with our room, but when we went down to the breakfast room, it was like we surprised them that we wanted breakfast. And we even had our own coffee, just wanted hot water.

While the staff was okay, they were not overly friendly. From our two day stay, I would not think they would welcome folks not staying at the hotel. It's not a restaurant, it is truly just a small breakfast room.

I stayed at Ca Doge in Piazzale Roma. I hesitated to offer that suggestion, as we were supposed to have a Continental breakfast with our room, but when we went down to the breakfast room, it was like we surprised them that we wanted breakfast. And we even had our own coffee, just wanted hot water.

While the staff was okay, they were not overly friendly. From our two day stay, I would not think they would welcome folks not staying at the hotel. It's not a restaurant, it is truly just a small breakfast room.

Thanks for that, sounds as if we should give it a miss.

Cheers, Misty

I stayed at a hotel that is adjacent to the Piazza Roma, called Hotel Arlecchino · Fondamenta Delle Burchielle Santa Croce 390 · 30135 Venezia, Italia Tel. +39 041 710723 You can check out their website hotelarlecchino.com or send them an email at info@hotelarlecchino.com

They have a small area where they serve an absolutely wonderful continental breakfast (or maybe I was just starving that morning!). You might want to ask them how much they would charge you and your new found friend to have breakfast there. You can start your day meeting her there and then continue down on the Vaporetto if you desire. In the alternative, contact the Best Western Hotel Olimpia which is also adjacent to the Piazza Roma. I believe they will also have a small restaurant and you can ask them if you can eat in their restaurant.

I stayed at a hotel that is adjacent to the Piazza Roma, called Hotel Arlecchino · Fondamenta Delle Burchielle Santa Croce 390 · 30135 Venezia, Italia Tel. +39 041 710723 You can check out their website hotelarlecchino.com or send them an email at info@hotelarlecchino.com

They have a small area where they serve an absolutely wonderful continental breakfast (or maybe I was just starving that morning!). You might want to ask them how much they would charge you and your new found friend to have breakfast there. You can start your day meeting her there and then continue down on the Vaporetto if you desire. In the alternative, contact the Best Western Hotel Olimpia which is also adjacent to the Piazza Roma. I believe they will also have a small restaurant and you can ask them if you can eat in their restaurant.

Thank you so much, they both sound and look really nice. I will check with my friend before making any commitment. We will have had breakfast on the ship before we disembark so I guess it is only a coffee and perhaps a cake for those who want to be naughty but I will certainly follow up on those.

Cheers, Misty

Are you thinking about the Hotel Arlecchino? I stayed on the top floor in a very small room (it was only me). I am 55 years old and found the location very convenient with all my luggage. I took the very inexpensive city bus from the airport to the PR and then I only had to carry my luggagge down a few brief steps to the Hotel. My room was on the top floor, but they have an elevator, which seems to be a problem with some of the smaller hotels. I didn't hear any noise, but I live in NYC, so I am probably more tolerant of city noises than others may be! However, if you put me on a farm, the birds, roosters, etc that start screaming at the crack of dawn drives me nuts! To each his own.

Seriously, I loved the location because someone was getting off the ship first thing in the morning to meet me and this hotel is about the closest you can find to the port. The vaporettos stop at the PR. I downloaded Rick Steves' audio guide of Venice onto my ipod and we listened to his tour as we slowly went down the Grand Canal that morning.

We also stayed at the Arlecchino Hotel precruise, and I definitely recommend it. When you take the airport bus to P. Roma, it is very easy to find the hotel and is easy to walk to with luggage. You can see it when you get off the bus. The people at the hotel were very friendly, and our room was very clean. It is right on a small canal and we had a nice lunch at the outdoor tables next to the water.

As stated earlier, I stayed two nights at Ca Doge right in Piazzale Roma. While it's true there is a lot of traffic, once the balcony door was closed, you couldn't hear it. The noise proofing really works.

We found it convenient as the Co Op stores are at Piazzale Roma, the Vaporetto stop is there, taxis are there, and the bus to the airport is right there. There is also a visitor booth right outside the hotel.

I looked at Arlecchino and Olympia, but I couldn't get a guaranteed twin room, so finally settled on Ca Doge.

Archived