Suggestions please

jessieknj

Good morning.

We've just found out that we can take a vacation in January :D We will be going to Disney in December and now will be in FL again the end of Jan and would like to take a cruise.

I have only been on one cruise (disney wonder) and we enjoyed it but Disney is extremly expensive and since we're not Disney nuts I think we could enjoy another line just as much.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good cruise out of FL (we will be in west palm) for a family of 3 (ages 34,32,3) that wouldn't break the bank. We would do a balcony since my son goes to sleep early. My in laws (60ish) may come as well.

Also do you normally use a travel agent or book with the cruise line yourself?

Thanks in advance for any help.

We book with a TA and if you are relatively new to cruising they really can be a big help to you.

There are many cruise lines to consider. A few to check out are Princess, Celebrity and RCI. Of course there are many others.

Keith

Hi,

I found the following sites very helpful.

www.*************.com. You nominate a price and other cruise companies reply with competitive prices. Quite helpful.

Also a Company www.cruises-n-more.com seemed to have cruises than any other cruise companies I checked with. I have sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean and found them both good - was disappointed with Carnival.

Suggest you don't book too far in advance. About 6-8 weeks before the date you will find prices begin to drop.

Regards - Geoff.

I usually book directly with the cruise line. Here is what works for me. I go to a travel site that lists all cruiselines, put in my dates and see what comes up. Then I come back to this site and look up reviews for the ships and itineraries that interest me. Since I have kids, I look for reviews that have "family" in the title because they usually include kids and will give valuable info about the kid programs.

I guess an experienced TA would be able to give this information, but I have found that they usually just quote what's in the brochure about the kids clubs. You get a much different feel when you read the reviews on here.

A few suggestions. First, we need to know a bit more about you and your family. I don't mean personal details, of course. However, what works for one, doesn't suit others. Here are some things that will help us: Activity levels and likes/dislikes; type of ship prefered (mega with every known amenity, mid-size and perhaps elegant, smaller with more "old cruise" feel, or perhaps some combination); departure port preferred (if any); weather/water temp preferred (if any--the more south you go, the warmer it will be, especially in the winter); length of cruise; budget (again, not details, but are you looking for the least expensive option possible or are you looking for a nice cruise that won't break the bank--it is possible to find both, but it takes time and effort).

On the "time and effort" front, my other suggestion is to talk to a TA who specializes in cruises. He or she can help guide you toward the ships and itineraries that will please you best. Once you narrow it down, then it will be easier to give you our advice (for what it's worth).;):D

You don't need to book with a TA if you don't want to. We rarely do, but we also generally know what cruise lines/ships, itinerary, and activities work for us. A couple of thoughts: There are so many options that it can seem overwhelming. To give yourself some ideas about the differences between the cruise lines, I suggest you read several reviews about each one that you are considering and specifically read the informational reviews by CC (professional review, if you will) of the cruise lines and ships. You can access those easily by selecting the "Reviews" tab on the CC home page.

And welcome to CC!

beachchick

Crud! I thought of something else and missed the edit window:

Excellent choice on the balcony cabin! If you find a super deal (which could happen), you might want to consider a mini-suite. On most cruise lines, a mini-suite will not net you any of the full suite perks (or perhaps a few such as priority boarding, but not the "main" ones). However, it will give you more room, usually a bathtub, and generally a larger balcony. Also, some people love the aft cabins because on some ships the aft balcony cabin balconies are quite deep and huge compared to those on the sides. We prefer mid-ships, but that's just us. Also, we love RCI for their many options for children and adults alike. OTOH, Princess, Carnival, and Celebrity are good for that too if you select one of the newer ships. Some ships do not have much in the way of adults-only venues, while others do. Your son is old enough for the children's programs, so it might be nice for him to have fun there sometimes while you and your husband have some quality time on your own. A note: RCI's children's program does not allow children who need any help whatsoever with potty needs. No diapers, no pull ups, no help with taking care of business in the bathroom. Children train at different ages, so I never assume that a 3-y/o will be fully potty independent.

beachchick

Topics like this you get lots of ideas and many CC feedback on which is the BEST line.

There many factors to take in effect.

1. Budget foremost for many.

2. Activities - What does you family like.

3. Kids camps - for thoose with kids.

4. Ports - What ports do you want to leave from and visit?

RE: the TA. We have booked direct and via a TA. We will only go with a

TA. But if you do you need to ask a few questions in email/writting. Many

have hidden charges. What if the price drops if the cruise line will give you

the drop will the TA charge you a service fee. If you cancel with the TA charge

you a fee on top of the cruise line? Will they limit # of times they call the

cruise line? If they have these restrictions, find a new TA. They earn the $

on the commissions. If they try to get more $$ on these fees you need to

think twice.

I find the TA has helped me out and saved $$ with OBC which the cruise line

will not give. There is many lines which limits the discount they can give. But

they can give you OBC, book a excursion, etc.

Archived