Should we book excursions in advance or wait to see what the weather is like?

travelingmomof3

I have to say, I have NEVER put this much thought and time into booking excursions! I am so torn about booking any in advance because if the weather isn't good then I don't want to spend soooo much money. Don't get me wrong, I am expecting rain and I am OK with that if it happens - I would just take some cheaper tours myself with the family. I don't want to sound cheap here but I have a family of 5 to pay for - if I pay $1000 for an excursion and then it's rainy and foggy and we can't see anything I will be upset. I know we REALLY want to do the heli/glacier tour though so I am wondering if I should book that in advance or wait until the day of to see what the weather is like - since I will have a second chance the next day in Skagway if the weather in Juneau is bad. I called two separate companies that have good reviews here - TEMSCO and Coastal Helicopters and they both had pretty much the whole day available and we will be in Juneau next Sat! So do you think I should wait until the day of and just call them that morning? Help me decide PLEASE!!!

We just got back from a cruise this week and I have to tell you the weather changes by the minute in Alaska! I did not believe that til we got there. Even from one area of town to another. So you really just have to go for it and hope for the best. The only thing of our s that got cancelled was the flightseeing tour we had scheduled at Talkeetna. But from what I experienced and have heard from others, most companies realize how quickly the weather changes and they are good about allowing you to canel and give u a refund. However. I would get that in writing from any company you go with.

Also, excursions fill up quicky so I would not wait til the last minute. Good luck and have fun!

Check the cancellation policy for any tours first. Most will refund if they have to cancel due to weather for safety reasons. If they are refundable, I'd definitely book ahead. Saves a lot of time booking last minute. And what if those that have space now are filled up by tomorrow? Then you are looking all over again.

Archived