St. Lucia Snorkeling

loves2cruz

Looking for best place to snorkel off beach or perhaps even do a boat excursion.

I've heard that Anse Chastanet and also Anse Cochron are good. Has anyone been to either one lately?

How far from the port are these places? How much taxi fare?

If you know of a boat excursion that is really good that would be fine too.

Thanks

I just emailed scubastevesdiving.com to find out what sites he uses. We had considered going to Anse Chastanet by taxi, but it seems that the trip would be long and fairly pricey. I will let you know what I hear. His price is 50 USD pp and the trip is 5 hours or so. Carnival's snorkel excursion was 2 3/4 hr for about the same price.

I was in St Lucia for a week in April. My hubby did a few dives and I snorkeled a couple of times. We went down by the Pitons, which is supposed to be be the best spot. We thought it was "OK"--

It seems like it is a big trip to Anse Chastanet and wondering if it is worth the time and expense to get there.

Where have you snorkeled in the past that you thought was really very good to excellent?

We've snorkeled in Hawaii at Molikini crater, fabulous. We also snorkeled in Kona at kealakekua Bay by Captain Cook's monument prior to the earthquake, beautiful colorful coral and loads of fish.

In the past we have snorkeled Coral Gardens and other places in Grand Cayman that was just fabulous, although the last time there wasn't as good as years past.

Just wondering where anyone has had fantastic snorkeling. Seems harder and harder to find with all the reefs getting damaged.

I think if you've never experienced crystal clear waters with spectacular coral and fish it's hard to say what is really really good. I think Hawaii spoiled us.

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

Was there about 18 months ago and had a time to snorkel after a great boat ride to view the Pitons. We stopped near a beach area - no reef - and the snorkeling was poor. Water visibility was marginal and there were only a few fish to see. Are there reefs there? I wouldn't pay any money to snorkel from what I saw. But the boat ride (and drinks) was fun; it just wasn't any kind of a snorkel trip to write home about.

In December 2008 I did a snorkel excursion with Dive Fair Helen. It had been raining for a few days so the water visibility was not that great with the muddy runoff from the rivers. Still managed to see fish and coral. Apparently the conditions are usually better than this. I would like to go back to St. Lucia to see more!

Here is one of my photos from St. Lucia:

St%20Lucia.jpg"

Attention: Luvs2cruise

We have snorkeled at all the places you mention-- all of them a far superior to the snorkeling at St Lucia.

You could go to Fort Rodney and do a great hike-- there is some snorkeling at the beach at Fort Rodney-- it is $6 a person to get into Fort Rodney. I think about a 20 minute ride from the port area.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to St. Lucia 2 years ago, on a land trip. Stayed at the Jalousie Plantation right between the pitons (volcanoes). The snorkeling was right off our beach, and I thought it was great. It was right on the side of one of the pitons. Lots of fish, coral, saw a barracuda, and a moray eel. I haven't been snorkeling anywhere else, so I thought it was great, but nothing to compare it to. Cruising to Cozumel in Dec. and then I will!

In December 2008 I did a snorkel excursion with Dive Fair Helen. It had been raining for a few days so the water visibility was not that great with the muddy runoff from the rivers. Still managed to see fish and coral. Apparently the conditions are usually better than this. I would like to go back to St. Lucia to see more!

A little more info about Dive Fair Helen:

Feb 12 2008– St Lucia: Full day snorkel with Dive Fair Helen.

http://www.divefairhelen.com/cruise_ship_special.htm

Boat meets us at ferry dock just across from cruise ship. Bumpy ride to dive shop at Marigot Bay. Ten snorkelers and nine divers board boat and head for Anse Cochon. Excellent marine life. The reef could be easily accessed from the Tiki Village beach. Lunch is served on board, then a second stop at Richmond’s Trench. Large coral formations on each side are near the surface. A good day with an excellent operator. A big thumbs up for DFH.

• 3 months later...

In Anse Chanteanet the snorkeling was pretty good. We booked a tour there for $50. It was a boat that took us there and left us, came back to get us later....I thought it was overpriced. The food was overpriced in the one place there to eat.

Thanks. Anyone been to Ti Kaye Village in Anse Cuchon?

We really like the snorkeling at Anse Cochon, we've been there 3 times so far. First time we booked directly with Ti Kaye. Then they developed Island Divers to handle their scuba/snorkeling, and the day trip activity, and we've used them twice. This year we've booked with Frank to take us there. There are two sides to the cove, and each has a distinctly different, but interesting, snorkeling opportunity.

Been to TyKaye twice. They have a first class operation. You can email them ahead of time and they will book you with no deposit. I believe it was $80.00 for a day pass. They pick you up at the ship by boat and take you right to TyKaye. (you do not want to ride around in a taxi on StLucia) You can rent snorkle gear and get full use of the resort and facilities. You even get a full lunch and beverage. I have taken 5 other couples there and we all love it. Oh yeah the snorkeling is great too. They also have a full dive facility. I have many great underwater shots from there. Hope you go.

Kevin:cool:

Been to TyKaye twice. They have a first class operation. You can email them ahead of time and they will book you with no deposit. I believe it was $80.00 for a day pass. They pick you up at the ship by boat and take you right to TyKaye. (you do not want to ride around in a taxi on StLucia) You can rent snorkle gear and get full use of the resort and facilities. You even get a full lunch and beverage. I have taken 5 other couples there and we all love it. Oh yeah the snorkeling is great too. They also have a full dive facility. I have many great underwater shots from there. Hope you go.

Kevin:cool:

Island Divers is great value for the money, and they're very nice people, too. We've used them twice. The only reason we aren't using them this year is because when I contacted them they said our ship arrived in port too late for them - 9:00 am. So, I contacted a guide we had used and liked in the past, Frank, and he's taking us. I have no qualms about letting Frank drive us there - he's driven us all over the island. Island Divers did write back offering to be more flexible (we ended up with enough folks to nearly fill their dive boat), but by that time we had made alternate arrangements.

Archived