Cell phone in Ireland

ohfan

I have contacted my cell phone carrier and my cell phone will not work in Ireland. If I want to call back to the states or call locally(Ireland) how might I do that? We are planning to rent a car and may need help if there is a problem along the way. A friend suggested I buy a cheap phone and minute plan there, but that seems like a lot of money. Another option could be to use the ships cell system, but If I'm out or range, I'm out of luck. I could upgrade my phone also. Any ideas? Thanks

I have contacted my cell phone carrier and my cell phone will not work in Ireland. If I want to call back to the states or call locally(Ireland) how might I do that? We are planning to rent a car and may need help if there is a problem along the way. A friend suggested I buy a cheap phone and minute plan there, but that seems like a lot of money. Another option could be to use the ships cell system, but If I'm out or range, I'm out of luck. I could upgrade my phone also. Any ideas? Thanks

If the problem is that you have ATT or T Mobile (GSM based) but do not have a multi band phone it is cheap enough to get one on ebay and slip your SIM card in. If you get an unlocked phone (quad band) you can get a prepaid sim from someone like globalroaming.

I have been an advocate of prepaid phones for a long time, but I am more and more realizing that though cost per minute is more there is a convenience factor in the home phone. Biggest down side to your stateside phone is that people will call you at inconvenient times like Midnight or later.

If you have an unlocked phone that will accept any SIM card, just go into a Meteor store when you arrive & ask for a free PAYG (pay as you go) SIM. You will have to top it up with €10 call credit, but that is the lowest outlay option available to you.

In Ireland the main mobile phone operators are Meteor, O2, Vodafone & 3. You may be able to pick up a free SIM from any of these operators, but I definately know that Meteor gives them away because I have one.

http://www.meteor.ie/store_locator/ Click on this link to find a Meteor store. You can also order them online, but they may not deliver overseas. Maybe get one sent to your first night hotel??

This will only work if your phone is unlocked, so check with your provider before you leave. They should be able to unlock it for you, but may charge a fee.

Archived