For those of you who have read Cruise Confidential

Jeafl

i recd a kindle for xmas and loaded this book into it as my first purchase in preparation for my upcoming cruise. i was only going to peek at it...read one little chapter....just a tease....well, now i have to find a replacement. i enjoyed this book and now i am in a fabulous cruise mood.

i do not eat all the courses...never mind seconds and thirds but always am flattered the waiters remember my nightly hot tea and preference for fresh berries.

the most amazing waiter experience i had was in 1996 on the fascination. i was severely suburned in aruba and felt horrible at dinner. i left early to go lay down. it was not long before there was a knock on my door and to my great surprise our waiter had sent down a full bowl of sliced cucumbers to cool the burn. i believe his name was ian and he was such a nice guy. i like to talk to the waitstaff...hope i have never caused a problem without knowing it.

thank you brian for this entertaining book....

Are you kidding, that was one of the sweetest personal experiences I have ever heard! These forums are wonderful opportunities for dialogue between readers and authors. I like the fact that my book gets people discussing. Alas, so many judge a person by his coping mechanisms and not his performance! Your experience reminds us all of just how wonderful these crew members are.

I have never seen my husband sit down and READ a book. Browse hunting catalogs, gun magazines, fishing magazines - yes. Read a story NEVER! Read a story on a cruise ship DOUBLE NEVER!!

ATTENTION: The ONLY book my husband has read cover to cover was CRUISE CONFIDENTIAL in our entire marriage. He loved it and I even have a picture of him sitting on the cruise balcony reading it that I sent to our grown children because they would have never believed me. He even purchased some HIMSELF (another first I buy all the gifts) to give to friends as gifts. Please write a sequel, we loved your book

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to like this book and was excited about reading it... but it was complete garbage and it was obviously fake. I refuse to believe that every single employee on those ships is a sex-crazed alcoholic.

It was 370 pages of a guy stroking his overinflated ego and insulting fellow Americans. And I can't believe the way that he portrayed the crew members as talking about Americans. They think we all own guns, yet WE are the ignorant ones? Okay, that makes sense. :rolleyes: Then the crew members complain that the guests all go to the Lido deck when they first get on because they all want to eat. Well, duh - that's what it's there for. What do you think they're going to do when they're hungry? I think the crew members in the story (yes, story) were way more guilty of stereotyping than any American I've ever known.

It's like they see every little thing the passengers do as "selfish" and "ignorant" - did they forget that these people are on vacation? Maybe they are just jealous that these people actually get to go on vacation. I'm sorry for them that their life is hard, but that doesn't change the fact that I worked hard for the money to spend on my vacation and I want to have a good one.

While I agree that there's certainly a fair share of crazies who go on the cruises and demand that everything be their way, most people just plain don't know that it's that hard for the employees. I mean, who would know that there isn't enough silverware and the waiters have to steal from each other?

And if that's the case, how on earth is it our fault?? If there's not enough tableware, maybe that's Carnival's fault and not ours.

Note that I'm not saying we passengers should be demanding, but we should expect a decent vacation for the money we spend. The author acts like people are selfish and demanding even when they just want a good vacation.

I wanted to like this book and was excited about reading it... but it was complete garbage and it was obviously fake. I refuse to believe that every single employee on those ships is a sex-crazed alcoholic.

It was 370 pages of a guy stroking his overinflated ego and insulting fellow Americans. And I can't believe the way that he portrayed the crew members as talking about Americans. They think we all own guns, yet WE are the ignorant ones? Okay, that makes sense. :rolleyes: Then the crew members complain that the guests all go to the Lido deck when they first get on because they all want to eat. Well, duh - that's what it's there for. What do you think they're going to do when they're hungry? I think the crew members in the story (yes, story) were way more guilty of stereotyping than any American I've ever known.

It's like they see every little thing the passengers do as "selfish" and "ignorant" - did they forget that these people are on vacation? Maybe they are just jealous that these people actually get to go on vacation. I'm sorry for them that their life is hard, but that doesn't change the fact that I worked hard for the money to spend on my vacation and I want to have a good one.

While I agree that there's certainly a fair share of crazies who go on the cruises and demand that everything be their way, most people just plain don't know that it's that hard for the employees. I mean, who would know that there isn't enough silverware and the waiters have to steal from each other?

And if that's the case, how on earth is it our fault?? If there's not enough tableware, maybe that's Carnival's fault and not ours.

Note that I'm not saying we passengers should be demanding, but we should expect a decent vacation for the money we spend. The author acts like people are selfish and demanding even when they just want a good vacation.

Huh...I'm not even sure if you and I read the same book??:confused::eek:

That's possible. You may not have read Cruise Confidential.

Yep, that's the book I read. I guess it's more shocking how different our responses were to the author's experiences. I am an American, I *gasp* eat on a ship, and I found not one part of his book to be offensive to me.

To each their own, I guess...:rolleyes:

As do I.

Brian-

Haven't gotten to read your book yet, but plan to. We feel like we have a personal interest because we were at one of your tables on what was I believe your final cruise as a waiter (New Year's on the Legend either 2003 0r 2004 -right?) Looking forward to a good read!

ROFL! Sounds like Bruns hit a little too close to home with this one. :D ;)

Possibly this poster? Yikes. I'm not saying that you can't take whatever you want away from that book, but it's all from his experience... Not the experiences of the cruisers. You weren't there, you don't know for sure what he did or didn't go through :rolleyes:

What a great post...it says it all..thank you:)

Personally, I am still amazed that some of the posters here think that they are talking to the author:D My screen name is Cruisin6...do they think they are talking to Tom Cruise? :D

have read and enjoyed the book, also having met and become friends with some of the staff on various ships I have no doubt in my mind of what was written by the author. I do hope there is a sequel in the making.

I too have no doubt that it was defintely a NON-Fiction book...and that is too bad...because the way the author depicts the pax is not so nice....but he doesn't do anything to make me think any more highly of the crew either.

i recd a kindle for xmas and loaded this book into it as my first purchase in preparation for my upcoming cruise. i was only going to peek at it...read one little chapter....just a tease....well, now i have to find a replacement. i enjoyed this book and now i am in a fabulous cruise mood.

i do not eat all the courses...never mind seconds and thirds but always am flattered the waiters remember my nightly hot tea and preference for fresh berries.

the most amazing waiter experience i had was in 1996 on the fascination. i was severely suburned in aruba and felt horrible at dinner. i left early to go lay down. it was not long before there was a knock on my door and to my great surprise our waiter had sent down a full bowl of sliced cucumbers to cool the burn. i believe his name was ian and he was such a nice guy. i like to talk to the waitstaff...hope i have never caused a problem without knowing it.

thank you brian for this entertaining book....

Now that is a waiter that knows how to get a tip!!!! Took him very little effort and you were very happy!! nice!:)

I really enjoyed this book. I read it about a year ago, and after 20 cruises with carnival, I don't doubt a word the author wrote. I thoroughly enjoy meeting many of the crew and after spending time with some over the course of a week, had the opportunity to treat them to a day out! A group of us chartered a sailboat and invited a few along (those who had the day off). It was our treat, the only rule was they weren't working! They were told not to entertain, impress, or act like they were working in any way! We had a blast! I think they had a great opportunity to cut loose for a day!

You would be surprised what people do who are cooped up and working very long hours! Oh the stories I could tell about a medical residency!!

Good Job Brian. An enjoyable read!!:D

What a great post...it says it all..thank you:)

Personally, I am still amazed that some of the posters here think that they are talking to the author:D My screen name is Cruisin6...do they think they are talking to Tom Cruise? :D

I have no doubt that "author" on this board is actually the author. I also think he obviously has a thick skin and won't care half as much about my comments as a few people here did. We are all entitled to our opinions, after all, and mine just so happened to be negative.

I am 3/4 of the way through Cruise Confidential and I am definitely going to tip better. I have only been on two cruises and this has definitely opened my eyes. We had the pleasure on Triumph to speak to Ketut and Reni on Lido deck and although we didnt understand the whole concept at the time of tipping and such since we were newbies, I feel terrible. These wonderful people actually told us that we are welcome to stay with their families if we are ever in Indonesia and we welcomed them to stay with us. We are planning on a cruise next year (the last ones were Fantasy in 2004 and Triumph 2007) and I promise you...these folks will be well taken care of. How do these guys possibly sleep such a small amount of hours and can remember our names, our favorite things and overlook the fact that we moved our bed in our stateroom because we didnt like it on "that" wall. Ugh. I will be a better cruiser because of this. This book is going to another cruise fiend tomorrow when I finish it. I had no complaints before and I will flog anyone I see complaining in the future. Whatever happened to the poor girl who had the strange rash and had the nervous breakdown. And I hope the Roundell's read this and realize how HORRIBLE they really are. *stepping off soap box*

I promise never to take another wine glass. Promise.

have read and enjoyed the book, also having met and become friends with some of the staff on various ships I have no doubt in my mind of what was written by the author. I do hope there is a sequel in the making.

Bahama Mama....will you do me a favor and ask the name of the Chief Engineer for me please....we are taking this cruise in 3 weeks and want to know if it is the same chief as last time, his name was Verdoliva...thanks in advance

Carol and Dave

Originally Posted by Pollensalta viewpost.gif

So you didnt like the book huh. I enjoyed it for a different perspective on cruising from the crew's point of view.

• 1 month later...

I just finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it. My son is now reading it and my husband will after that.

I enjoyed seeing the few photos on his website of some of the people depicted. I am curious if Brian had to get signed "releases" or whatever from those people, or Carnival for that matter. Just wondering what happens if you write about someone and they dispute what is said...? (thinking of if a person spoken about considers what was said to be litigous....)

I definitely believe the stuff about the drinking and sex... have you never been to college? Also, when you have sheltered people and they suddenly are away from home in that kind of environment.... plenty DO go crazy and catch up on the adolescence or college experience they missed.

And remember, it is Brain's perspective. Had his religious room mate written a book, it surely would have represented a different point of view.

The book is a good beach read... light, interesting, funny....

Jennifer

Carnival Triumph, July 2010 7 days Eastern Caribbean

Archived