Glacier View Sea Kayaking in Juneau

travelingmomof3

Can you tell me if these kayak are very stable? My husband is very nervous about capsizing in his kayak and falling into the cold water. He can't swim so he's concerned (I think he swims fine - he's just a nervous person - LOL). I thought it was cute that he asked me to post the question here since he knows how helpful all the cc people are and we value your opinions. Thanks!

The two-man sea kayaks used on our tour with SE Sea Kayaks from Ketchikan were very stable. DW had similar concerns (in addition to fitting in the seat), and she was very happy with the results. I assume they use the same or similar boats in Mendenhall Lake, which is where you will be paddling.

I assume they use the same or similar boats in Mendenhall Lake, which is where you will be paddling.

Just to clarify, you are not in Mendenhall Lake for this excursion. You're out in the ocean, thus the name, sea kayaking. You do view the glacier, only from much further away than the lake. The 'ocean' though, is not the open ocean, but the channel which is generally smooth unless it's windy.

I haven't gone with this group, but I've seen them several times while out on the beach, and I believe they put you in in a wetsuit, so even if you do go in, it's not going to be like being dunked in icewater. You also have a flotation device, and the group has one or two kayaks with the guides, keeping an eye on everyone.

I find kayaks to feel stable once I'm in; entry may be the scary part. But I've never heard of any incidents with the kayak group--just don't let your husband see my post about the river rafting group going in the drink this week. ;)

It's such a unique experience to be that low in the water; there's a lot of sea lions and eagles out in the area--I think it's well worth getting over all anxiety.

Archived