Vitran

GTJ

Is there a printed bus timetable and/or route map for the Vitran transit bus system?

Various comments have been posted here and elsewhere that provide very general information, such as "unreliable service," and "service every two hours," but nothing specific. The comments are generally unsupported and, if like comments made about the local transit service where I live, "unreliable service" might simply mean that the buses are not scheduled as often as the user would like them to be scheduled. The Vitran service is operated by the V.I. government through its Department of Public Works, but the department doesn't even have a website up. It is very unusual for a transit system in the United States to have nothing available for its potential passengers to consult. Perhaps Vitran is trying to hide something from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA being the conduit by which the federal government channels assistance to local transit systems)?

I've used Vitran while in Charlotte Amalie, but without an understanding of where and when it operates. Are there any other users of Vitran here who can enumerate the routes and the locations of route terminals?

(Please refrain from giving advice about avoid the bus and using taxis instead . . . I don't particularly like having to rely upon taxis, and besides, it is my tax money that is being used to support Vitran.)

Thanks for any reliable information!

FORGET Vitran!!

It is not a reliable form of transportation here. There is no schedule available on-line or otherwise for a reason.........cause there is no schedule.

The now $2 jitneys/safari open air shuttles have taken up the slack and cover from town to red Hook. One of those pass by every 5-10 minutes.

If you happen to be standing at a Vitran bus stop when goes by consider yourself lucky.........otherwise jump in the first $2 jitney that goes by......and also stops at the Vitran bus stops.

Perhaps I did not make sufficiently clear that I'm looking for information, not advice.

Schedules

There are very few transit systems in the United States that don't have a schedule. Even in places like New York City, where many people believe that there is no schedule for the subway trains, there are schedules for the subway trains (and with some effort those schedules will be found on line). A schedule is necessary not only to provide regularity to service but also as a basis for paying the bus drivers. In the case of Vitran WSTA radio reported earlier this year (March 27, 2009) that:

"VITRAN is changing the bus schedule. Fewer Sunday bus runs. On Sundays VITRAN busses will operate on St. Thomas and St. Croix from 7:00 AM to 4:00 PM Same hours for [paratransit]. No change on St. John."

See http://www.wsta.com/news/default.aspx?storyid=7117.

Last year the station reported (April 16, 2008):

"VITRAN announced they are extending bus service during St. Thomas Carnvial from Monday April 21 to Saturday April 26. There will be additional bus runs from the bus depot to Donoe and Hidden Valley at 9:15, 11:15 and 1:15. To Tutu at 9:05, 11:05 and 1:05 AM. To Bovoni at 11 pm and 1 am and to Bordeaux and UVI from Schneider Hospital at 9;10, 11:10 and 1:10 AM."

See http://www.wsta.com/news/default.aspx?storyid=6908.

Clearly there are schedules for Vitran. The only question is how the schedules are published.

Tax Support

But perhaps most importantly, I am a U.S. taxpayer who provides financial support to Vitran. While others may prefer to travel by taxi or other means I have a preference of riding public transit buses. The degree of federal taxpayer support can be seen from the August 2009 report of FTA active projects in the Virgin Islands . . . over 5.7 million dollars from U.S. taxpayers (figures shown are authorized disbursements):

Bus Facility on St. Thomas and St. Croix, $491,839

St. Thomas Bus Replacement Purchase, $297,000

Bus purchase & related parts, $392,000

Close out amendment, $35,000

Construction/Vehicles, $2,026,081

Construction/Vehicles, $1,189,231.00

Bus shelters, Bus stop signs, $1,284,112.00

TOTAL ACTIVE PROJECTS, $5,715,263

See http://ftateamweb.fta.dot.gov/static/FTAreports/2009_reportfiles/2009reports.html.

The next time I visit Charlotte Amalie I want to see what my taxpayer dollars have been buying.

I see you've got the symbol for the number 7 subway line in NY that services Flushing. Did they model Denzel's character in Pelham 1 2 3 after you?

Yes, there is a schedule, but I think they stopped publishing it a few years ago. I think people thought it was a contract, and expected them to follow it to the letter, and there's no way they could. I think they also figured it would save a few dollars by not printing it.

I'll try to explain it as best I can.

There are two types of busses - city and country. The city busses go from UVI to the hospital in a continuous loop. There are two city busses - one that goes to the airport, and the other that doesn't (can't remember what it substitutes). I think these run every hour (they run more frequently than country busses, because their route is shorter), though I don't see them as often as it seems I used to. But I'm not sure what time of the hour they're supposed to run.

There are several country busses. Bovoni, Bordeaux, Hidden Valley. There used to be Red Hook, but I don't remember seeing it in a while. Oh, and the VITRAN on St John also runs every two hours, leaving Cruz Bay at approx 30 minutes after the hour or whenever the ferry they're supposed to be serving comes in. I think they're on the odd two hours from Cruz Bay.

The ones from town leave at approx 11, 1, 3, and 5 or maybe 10/15 minutes after going east. If it's about 15 minutes after, and the bus hasn't shown up, I call VITRAN and ask if the bus is running. I always get a quick, courteous, honest response. They don't have any/many back up busses, so if one breaks down, that's when you need to have your backup transportation.

You can see your tax dollars at work in front of Yacht Haven Grande near Wendy's. There's a new bus shelter there. Previously there wasn't an area for the bus to pull over and no seating while you waited. You would have had to see it before to really appreciate the new set up.

I see you've got the symbol for the number 7 subway line in NY that services Flushing. Did they model Denzel's character in Pelham 1 2 3 after you?

It is an avatar that is quite clear to most of my neighbors and many others that have visited New York City, but likely to be completely opaque to most others . . . almost a "secret handshake" in that regard! But I have not seen the latest re-make of the film. When the original was filmed in the 1970s it was the perfect timing. Everything else in NYC was out of control and falling apart so the idea that that a subway train would be hijacked was right on target. This new remake seems as though it is too sterile. I understand that at least one scene was filmed on the platform at Grand Central Station on the no. 7 train, even though all of the action is supposed to be on the no. 6 train. I'm on the no. 7 regularly since I reside in Flushing.

Yes, there is a schedule, but I think they stopped publishing it a few years ago. I think people thought it was a contract, and expected them to follow it to the letter, and there's no way they could. I think they also figured it would save a few dollars by not printing it.
That could very well be, in which case the schedule would be published only to the extent that it is posted in the bus drivers' room at the garage and not otherwise printed for general distribution. But even with a desire to save some dollars it really doesn't make sense not to use the internet since a website these days is very cheap. A short time ago York Region Transit, just north of Toronto, Ont., made the decision to not print bus schedules for general distribution, but the reasoning was based on all of the information being available from the operator's web site. See http://www.yorkregiontransit.com. Not only does Vitran not have a website, neither does the Department of Public Works.

I'll try to explain it as best I can.

There are two types of busses - city and country. The city busses go from UVI to the hospital in a continuous loop. There are two city busses - one that goes to the airport, and the other that doesn't (can't remember what it substitutes). I think these run every hour (they run more frequently than country busses, because their route is shorter), though I don't see them as often as it seems I used to. But I'm not sure what time of the hour they're supposed to run.

So if I understand correctly:

There are two buses operating on a city route. Both buses start in the west at the University of the Virgin Islands (I assume from somewhere in the upper campus where the academic buildings are located), then along route 30 to the roadway leading to the passenger terminal at Cyril E. King Airport. One of the two buses then goes to the passenger terminal (and the other bus instead goes to another off-highway location instead of the airport passenger terminal). The continuing along the waterfront on Veteran's Drive until the intersection with route 313 (just before the Havensight Mall and the cruise ship terminal). Turning left onto route 313 to the Schneider Regional Medical Center near the intersection of Sugar Estate Rd and Perimeter Rd. The the bus turns around at the hospital and returns to the university following the same route in reverse. Each of these two buses makes a round-trip each hour (so on average there should be a bus passing by every half-hour).

There are several country busses. Bovoni, Bordeaux, Hidden Valley. There used to be Red Hook, but I don't remember seeing it in a while. Oh, and the VITRAN on St John also runs every two hours, leaving Cruz Bay at approx 30 minutes after the hour or whenever the ferry they're supposed to be serving comes in. I think they're on the odd two hours from Cruz Bay.
I would assume the routes of these country buses would be as follows.

Bovoni: From Charlotte Amalie via Veteran's Drive on the waterfront (route 30), past the Havensight Mall, continuing along Frenchman Bay Rd (route 30) and Bovoni Rd (route 30) to a turn-around point somewhere near the intersection of Bovoni Rd (route 30), Red Hook Rd (route 32), and Turpentine Run Rd (route 32).

Bordeaux: From Charlotte Amalie via Veteran's Drive on the waterfront (route 30), past the university, continuing along Fortuna Rd (route 30) to a turn-around point somewhere near the intersection of Fortuna Rd (route 30) and Meander Pl.

Hidden Valley: Not quite sure where this is.

Red Hook: (If still operating) From Charlotte Amalie via Veteran's Drive on the waterfront (route 30), past the Havensight Mall, continuing along Frenchman Bay Rd (route 30) and Bovoni Rd (route 30). Them along Red Hook Rd (route 32) to a turn-around point at the Red Hook ferry terminal.

Tutu: From Charlotte Amalie via Veteran's Drive on the waterfront (route 30) until the intersection with route 313 (just before the Havensight Mall and the cruise ship terminal). Turning left onto route 313 towards the hospital, then along Weymouth Rhymer Hwy (route 38) to the Tutu Park Mall.

The ones from town leave at approx 11, 1, 3, and 5 or maybe 10/15 minutes after going east. If it's about 15 minutes after, and the bus hasn't shown up, I call VITRAN and ask if the bus is running. I always get a quick, courteous, honest response. They don't have any/many back up busses, so if one breaks down, that's when you need to have your backup transportation.
So is there a central terminal stand downtown where all the country buses begin and end their routes?

You can see your tax dollars at work in front of Yacht Haven Grande near Wendy's. There's a new bus shelter there. Previously there wasn't an area for the bus to pull over and no seating while you waited. You would have had to see it before to really appreciate the new set up.
Given the facilities I recall installation of this and other shelters will be a well-received amenity by the residents and visitors. Maybe some money can be spent on quality equipment and maintenance so that break-downs will not be a routine issue. One of the businesses of my former employer is the installation maintenance of bus stop shelters, while one of the things I do for business is provide consulting services for the scheduling and routing (and the communication thereof) of public transit service. As such I always make it a practice to see and understand public transportation systems wherever I travel. Hopefully I will gain a better understanding when I next visit the U.S.V.I.

There are many bus shelters on the routes - that particular stop didn't have a shelter until recently, and they had to carve out a section of the road to accommodate the bus.

It's up to the commissioners for each department to provide a website. Many of the VI govt depts don't have websites, and there's no central VI govt site, either. Just one of the many dysfunctions.

I think you should contact Dept of Public Works/VITRAN for more info. You can reach VITRAN at 340-774-5678.

There are many bus shelters on the routes - that particular stop didn't have a shelter until recently, and they had to carve out a section of the road to accommodate the bus.

It's up to the commissioners for each department to provide a website. Many of the VI govt depts don't have websites, and there's no central VI govt site, either. Just one of the many dysfunctions.

I think you should contact Dept of Public Works/VITRAN for more info. You can reach VITRAN at 340-774-5678.

You've been quite helpful, more so than DPW has been in the past.

I've looked around some more and there's a new website up related to the 2030 U.S. Virgin Islands Transportation Master Plan. See http://www.usvitransportationplan.com. Within the website are route maps for St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix. While not the best graphics these are the only ones I've seen. I've drawn them out in a manner that's more useful to me, and I'm posting them here for anyone else who might find them useful and/or able to provide corrections.

St Thomas East.pdf

St Thomas Central.pdf

St Thomas West.pdf

You should probably start a new thread "Public Bus on St Thomas" and post the maps and info there. Very few people probably know what Vitran (VITRAN) is.

While all this information is certainly fascinating, it should be noted that VITRAN unfortunitily is NOT a viable (or reliable enough) source of transportation for cruise ship passengers who are only on the island for 7 - 9 hours.

Standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus that may come by in 5 minutes or an hour and a half is not a good way to enjoy this wonderful island.

While all this information is certainly fascinating, it should be noted that VITRAN unfortunately is NOT a viable (or reliable enough) source of transportation for cruise ship passengers who are only on the island for 7 - 9 hours.

Standing at a bus stop waiting for a bus that may come by in 5 minutes or an hour and a half is not a good way to enjoy this wonderful island.

That really depends on what one enjoys doing. Some people might go to St. Thomas to visit the beaches or to go shopping there, and have little desire to spend their time waiting for, and riding upon, the local public transit system. As for myself, I have a collection of over 5,000 bus pictures, and whenever I travel I make sure to take photographs of the local public transportation system. If at all possible I enjoy riding these systems. That was a substantial purpose of my journey to St. Thomas. On the other hand I am completely bored with beaches and most shopping. Within these parameters it is quite clear how how I should spend time on St. Thomas.

I would very much prefer having a reliable bus service that maintains a timetable so that I could better schedule my photography and bus riding without the uncertainty that exists on St. Thomas. Hopefully Vitran will improve the service with their planning effort. But in the meantime bus enthusiasts may simply have to put up with waiting. And in that regard, I think that 7 to 9 hours is probably a good amount of time to be able to study the bus system on the island.

When I last made an extended itinerary throughout the Caribbean in 2007, I was able to spot much more regular bus service on other islands. Perhaps the most developed is in Barbados, where there are regular departures by both the state-operated and privately-operated bus companies. The state-operated company has a website with detailed schedules and somewhat-informative route descriptions, and I was able to visit and enjoy their bus system quite a bit. Other reasonable systems were in Aruba and Curaçao, where in both cases the buses ran reliably on-time according to schedule. The only island with service worse than St. Thomas was St.Lucia, where there are no buses (only a rag-tag collection of vans providing only the most basic level of mobility).

It's up to the visitor to determine how they spend their day, and the more info they have, the better they can plan.

We have so many repeat visitors, and they might want to spend the day riding the bus to see where/how the "locals" live. Some think they don't get that in a regular island tour.

I think there are some who might just want to ride one bus for the entire route without going any place in particular. They could easily do that on a cruise stop.

Besides, some of those guys have the best music collections on the island, and I've been tempted to just ride all day to hear the music! Oldies that you don't hear every day.

GTJ, I've looked at public trans on other islands, and yes, they do a much better job, but part of the problem with STT and St Lucia is they have to contend with the hilly terrain, and from what I hear, it's not easy finding affordable vehicles that can handle the hills. I have friends who bought new cars on this island, and they have trouble with some of the hills. Also, since this is US, you're expected to have a car, whereas it's an option in many other parts of the world. After all, we're the United States of Automobiles.;)

It's up to the visitor to determine how they spend their day, and the more info they have, the better they can plan.

We have so many repeat visitors, and they might want to spend the day riding the bus to see where/how the "locals" live. Some think they don't get that in a regular island tour.

I think there are some who might just want to ride one bus for the entire route without going any place in particular. They could easily do that on a cruise stop.

I've met some of those same types of people on other islands who, like me, boarded the bus for a round-trip circle tour of the area.

And as you point out, as I have also done on other threads about other subjects, different people have different interests. It would be such a boring world if everyone liked and disliked exactly the same things! I have either met or otherwise heard of people with interests so different, it can be fascinating hearing about their depth of knowledge on the subject. So long as the interest is not illegal or immoral, all the better.

Besides, some of those guys have the best music collections on the island, and I've been tempted to just ride all day to hear the music! Oldies that you don't hear every day.

GTJ, I've looked at public trans on other islands, and yes, they do a much better job, but part of the problem with STT and St Lucia is they have to contend with the hilly terrain, and from what I hear, it's not easy finding affordable vehicles that can handle the hills. I have friends who bought new cars on this island, and they have trouble with some of the hills. Also, since this is US, you're expected to have a car, whereas it's an option in many other parts of the world. After all, we're the United States of Automobiles.;)

That view is so prevalent, though I'm a New Yorker who has never owned an automobile (but yet I am more well-traveled than so many others who do own an automobile!).

The hills can be tough. I know from many years ago that in San Francisco a particular bus route that climbed a steep hill (the no. 55 Sacramento) would regularly have to unload its passengers at the bottom of the hill and have them walk to the top of the hill to re-board the bus, for otherwise the bus could not make it up. That problem was solved by erecting trolley wire above the bus route and converting the bus route from diesel to electric. Of course, that type of infrastructure is not practicable on either St. Thomas or St. Lucia, but there are diesel (or gasoline) buses that can handle hilly terrain.

But if I've read enough background about the situation in the U.S.V.I. the main issue is having a sufficiently-sized fleet to be able to adequately cover the population centers at reasonable intervals. The safari buses should probably be incorporated into the overall transportation system (these buses are a rarity for the United States . . . there are very few places where such buses can be operated at a profit). Perhaps the 2030 plan will address all of this.

Archived