Boarding time and formal night - Odyssey

CLOU

I know I am combining two questions in one thread, but I hope I can get my answers in one post. We are leaving Thursday for Athens to join the Odyssey on Saturday from where we sail to Croatia and Vnice. The documents say boarding is at 2:00, but since we have been to Athens several times before (and it may be smoky this time, although I hope they have success containing the fires), will Seabourn allow us to board early, say noon to 1:00, even if we cannot access our room yet? Also, I know the ship has sailed this seven day itinerary before. Can anyone tell me which will be the formal night?

Thanks.

I know I am combining two questions in one thread, but I hope I can get my answers in one post. We are leaving Thursday for Athens to join the Odyssey on Saturday from where we sail to Croatia and Vnice. The documents say boarding is at 2:00, but since we have been to Athens several times before (and it may be smoky this time, although I hope they have success containing the fires), will Seabourn allow us to board early, say noon to 1:00, even if we cannot access our room yet? Also, I know the ship has sailed this seven day itinerary before. Can anyone tell me which will be the formal night?

Thanks.

We boarded at 2.00 and they herded everyone in to the show lounge which was nice and cool but a bit dark and dismal. The sky bar was open and ready for action which was a much nicer place to spend the hour until the suites were ready. There were not many others on at that point so you may find that they keep you in the terminal for a while if you get there too early (we did it the reverse way disembarking in Athens) when we departed the ship there was a marquee for collecting the bags. If they also used that for embarking it could be quite a hot place to wait for any length of time. I'm sure others will have embarked at Athens who can give you better information on the terminal facilities for embarkation.

Don't they serve a luncheon in the dining room to embarking passengers?

This had never been the case on SB. Understand this, they have just emptied the ship...they have to ready all of the suites for the embarking psgrs...also...the kitchen is very busy with the loading and preparing for the new guests. The only time we have had luncheon served is on SS when we paid extra for boarding early, thus receiving lunch.

Thanks for the input. I did not plan on getting there too early, perhaps just a little before 2:00. I understand the challenges of turning the ship over for the next cruise.

A few years ago we were allowed to board early and have luncheon in the restaurant or the Veranda but now it's suggested /recommended we do not board early ~~

Pier Terminals are usually very hot and uncomfortable so it's best to arrive at the ship, the desinated time.

Have a great cruise!:p

MB

I too will be arriving in Athens on Friday for boarding the Odyssey on Saturday. I hope the pilot can see the runway through the smoke! Such a tragedy!

Thanks for the info regarding the boarding time and formal night!

If you are are hungry when you embark remember that they always have platters of cookies and sandwiches in the lounge(along with champagne). Also, once you are processed you can always order sdomthing from room serive at the Sky Grill.

I am more than a little surprised that Seabourn does not offer lunch or even a buffet upon boarding. I can't remember the last time we didn't have at the least a buffet available upon boarding.

On our most recent cruise (on another line) we had a lovely luncheon with free-flowing, complimentary champagne. It's such a wonderful way to start a cruise.

Historically the boarding time is around 2:00 or 3:00 meaning an ample breakfast and/or a lunch preceded your boarding. Your check in the lounge, with the welcoming champage and sandwiches, is plentiful as Seabourn does have the tea with all kinds of goodies at 4:00 too. I personally enjoy the check in time as you meet fellow passengers and crew in a relaxed setting prior to going to your suite.

Archived