St. Nicholas Abbey questions

danacline

I was originally interested in a tour of the Mount Gay rum distillery until I heard about the Abbey and its rum. Since no one seems to include this on a tour, my questions are: How far of a cab ride from the pier? Looks like its on the other side of the island. Also, does anyone know how much a bottle of their rum is? Since there's a max of 4000 bottles a year, and each is hand-engraved with a serial number, I assume they're not cheap...

Dana

I was originally interested in a tour of the Mount Gay rum distillery until I heard about the Abbey and its rum. Since no one seems to include this on a tour, my questions are: How far of a cab ride from the pier? Looks like its on the other side of the island. Also, does anyone know how much a bottle of their rum is? Since there's a max of 4000 bottles a year, and each is hand-engraved with a serial number, I assume they're not cheap...

Dana

St. Nicholas Abbey is perhaps 12-14 miles from Deep Water Harbour in St. Peter. I would guess 35-45 minutes and US$15-20 one way for up to four in the cab.

Larry and Anna got the old steam crushing machine going last winter and will start a full crush with this year's cane harvest.

Anticipation at RumFest for the new product is great. The product they have been selling is excellent and respected around the world.

Plan to pay US$4-7 per ounce, depending on the year available for sale at the abbey.

You will not be disappointed. :)

Maybe my math is wrong, but isn't $4 an ounce around $100 for a .75 liter bottle? I can imagine some old single-malt Scotch going for that much but I'd never spend over $50 for a bottle of that. I can imagine I'd have to hide the bottle so other family members don't sample it to death <g>.

"Maybe my math is wrong, but isn't $4 an ounce around $100 for a .75 liter bottle?"

Yes, your math is correct.

But don't forget that the bottle itself is a work of art and worth a good portion of the total package.

An unopened bottle of St. Nicholas Abbey rum could fetch twice the price in five years and has demonstrated that fact.

We usually drink Mt. Gay Extra Old rum or Plantation Rum from Barbados (or Guyana) when on the island and bring home the St. Nicholas Abbey Rum as an investment or for very special occasions.

Special is as special does, yes? ;)

Whichever you buy, my best wishes for wonderful trip to our island, and please come back for a longer stay. :) :) :)

St. Nicholas Abbey, Barbados (Published with permission from Larry @ Sugartech.co.za)

st-nicholas-abbey.JPG

Interesting. I'd never considered rum as an investment. Maybe I'll go with the Mount Gay one you mention instead, that way I could actually drink it <g>.

Yes, I'll definitely come back to your island - I'm doing this cruise with my dad and will have to come back with my wife sometime. Plus, apparently the cave is closed until after our cruise, so now multiple reasons to return. Thanks for the feedback!

• 1 year later...
St. Nicholas Abbey is perhaps 12-14 miles from Deep Water Harbour in St. Peter. I would guess 35-45 minutes and US$15-20 one way for up to four in the cab.

Isn't there a bus that goes from Bridgetown to Cherry point, right nearby? Or is it inadvisable due to distance, time, and reliability of service?

I don't do busses anymore, but i looked it up for you.

Yes, #4 bus leaves princess Alice terminal every hour for Cherry Tree Hill / St Nicholas Abbey / Wildlife reserve...etc.

But......

By the time you walk to the terminal and get transported to the Abbey, it will be an hour (if you're lucky). Coming back, another 1-2 hours if you're lucky.

Busses into the far reaches of the island don't lend themselves to cruisers. They are great for folks staying on the island for a week, or so.

Find an other couple and share the ride in a taxi. Safe, secure and you won't miss the boat. :)

I don't do busses anymore, but i looked it up for you.

Yes, #4 bus leaves princess Alice terminal every hour for Cherry Tree Hill / St Nicholas Abbey / Wildlife reserve...etc.

But......

By the time you walk to the terminal and get transported to the Abbey, it will be an hour (if you're lucky). Coming back, another 1-2 hours if you're lucky.

Busses into the far reaches of the island don't lend themselves to cruisers. They are great for folks staying on the island for a week, or so.

Find an other couple and share the ride in a taxi. Safe, secure and you won't miss the boat. :)

Thank you. It's these sobering details that cannot be gleaned from websites that end up making the world of a difference. :)

Archived