Service Charge for children

jnmrlk

Does anyone know if the service charge for children 3 or over is reduced if they are under 12 years old or if they also pay the full $12.00?

I thought that it used to be a reduced amount if they were under 12 but I am not sure if that was the case or still is.

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies - to be honest I am not surprised, I think it probably costs NCL just as much time and troubles for the children as it does to wait on us big kids!

That's exactly right but some still think they should pay based on size.:D

Thanks for the quick replies - to be honest I am not surprised, I think it probably costs NCL just as much time and troubles for the children as it does to wait on us big kids!

I'm really glad you feel that way. I have a hard time with parents that don't understand that their child, whether he be 3 or 23, still uses towels, gets sheets dirty, spills in the dining room (sometimes more than the adults!), makes the same sort of messes in the bathroom that we all do..and so the stewards and waiters and all deserve the same compensation. Thank you!

I definitely agree that good service/great service, etc deserves the appropriate service charge....however, what about when the service is POOR? As on the DAWN...in my opinion....travelling with children in my party...NEVER being offered a children's menu....never being offered a high chair [as i carried my 16-month old]...guess they thought he was going on a chair....little things, i know...but little things that shouldn't be issues, in my opinion...ncl makes too few people handle too many tasks, and because of it, something is lacking....service to the people...a picture [from the art auction] fell ON MY SISTER IN LAWS HEAD....the "doctor" laughed, scratched her head, said, "i'm messing up your hair"....handed her a plastic bag and said call room service for ice...the plastic bag had a hole in it....can't make this stuff up...gotta love the lawlessness of maritime law....

I'm really glad you feel that way. I have a hard time with parents that don't understand that their child, whether he be 3 or 23, still uses towels, gets sheets dirty, spills in the dining room (sometimes more than the adults!), makes the same sort of messes in the bathroom that we all do..and so the stewards and waiters and all deserve the same compensation. Thank you!

Without a doubt you are correct of course. But it does make me wonder, and this is a question that I doubt anyone who is "in the know" will dare to answer. Since they once charged $10/day for adults and $5/day for children, and it is now up to $12 per person across the board, how much of that increase actually finds its way into the pocket of the people who do take care of us? Not making any accusations, I am just curious. Because this is called a service charge, while it takes the place of gratuity, I wonder if it is passed ont o the staff in the same manner as an actual gratuity.

I definitely agree that good service/great service, etc deserves the appropriate service charge....however, what about when the service is POOR? As on the DAWN...in my opinion....travelling with children in my party...NEVER being offered a children's menu....never being offered a high chair [as i carried my 16-month old]...guess they thought he was going on a chair....little things, i know...but little things that shouldn't be issues, in my opinion...

And, when you pointed these "issues" out to the maitre d', how did he or she respond?

Without a doubt you are correct of course. But it does make me wonder, and this is a question that I doubt anyone who is "in the know" will dare to answer. Since they once charged $10/day for adults and $5/day for children, and it is now up to $12 per person across the board, how much of that increase actually finds its way into the pocket of the people who do take care of us? Not making any accusations, I am just curious. Because this is called a service charge, while it takes the place of gratuity, I wonder if it is passed ont o the staff in the same manner as an actual gratuity.

If James (young NCL employee who has sailed on various ships) is still around he might be able to better answer this. It definitely WAS passed on to the staff according to past posts.

All of it is passed on to the staff. James has told us this many times. Because nearly all service charge payments are made by credit card, NCL eats the credit card service charge.

I definitely agree that good service/great service, etc deserves the appropriate service charge....however, what about when the service is POOR? As on the DAWN...in my opinion....travelling with children in my party...NEVER being offered a children's menu....never being offered a high chair [as i carried my 16-month old]...guess they thought he was going on a chair....little things, i know...but little things that shouldn't be issues, in my opinion...ncl makes too few people handle too many tasks, and because of it, something is lacking....service to the people...a picture [from the art auction] fell ON MY SISTER IN LAWS HEAD....the "doctor" laughed, scratched her head, said, "i'm messing up your hair"....handed her a plastic bag and said call room service for ice...the plastic bag had a hole in it....can't make this stuff up...gotta love the lawlessness of maritime law....

If the high chair and the kid menu concern happened in a main dining room or speciality restaurant more than once I would have addressed this with the Maitre D after the first time.

The Ship's Doctor is not part of the daily service charge. If you felt he or she was unprofessional, you should have addressed it with the Hotel Director.

By the way, please correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe that you paid a daily service charge for the 16 month old. I believe that there is no daily charge for children under 3.

By the way, please correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe that you paid a daily service charge for the 16 month old. I believe that there is no daily charge for children under 3.

You're right, jim, but what you've said in your two thoughtful, informative postings has taken all the fun out of complaining for seashell.

There was a 5-year old in my party, as well as my 16-month old.

The Maitre D responded with the usual, "We are so sorry, but this is a ship, with a lot of people on it. We will do our best."

I am aware that the dr is not part of the service plan. All was addressed with the hotel director.

Does anyone know if the service charge for children 3 or over is reduced if they are under 12 years old or if they also pay the full $12.00?

I thought that it used to be a reduced amount if they were under 12 but I am not sure if that was the case or still is.

Thanks!

NCL did use to give a 50% reduction, but then they decided to follow all the other cruise lines and charge full price.

Nita

It's customary when quoting someone else.

One would think a simple "we'll need a high chair and children's menu" could have addressed this "issue" rather simply.

Or is it possile he is questioning the "validity" of the person's issues. So "subtle" and "tricky".

As a first time NCL cruiser, I was not surprised by the $12 per person per day service charge. MY DH & I traveled on the Star on 8/15 with our 8-year old son. I had no problem with the full charge service charge for him. The cabin steward made up & put away his pull out couch every night.

Regarding the smaller service issues, we did encounter some. I was not aware that a children's menu was even available in the MDR. None of the waiters offered us one or even mentioned that one was available. It's not a major issue that should alter the service charge, but it is one of the "little things" that you miss. Another instance I can point out was in the second of the two MDRs on the Star. That night was a particular disaster. All of the wait staff seemed very harried & distracted. Our waiter was missing for most of the meal. We did not even get beverage service after asking repeatedly. The wine list just never appeared and the bar server never did either. The restaurant manager never made it over to our table so we could not voice our concerns. We spoke to the Hotel Staff regarding this, but I'm not sure if they cared or not.

On a lot of cruises today, I feel that the "little things" are missing. It is not something that use to occur when cruise ships were smaller. I'm not sure what the answer is, because cruise lines are sure not going to make smaller ships! Maybe they need to add more staff?

I love cruising & have been doing so since I was 17 years old. These issues won't prevent me from cruising in the future, but it does make me think more fondly of the type of cruising I experienced 15 or 20 years ago.

Archived