Shore diving in Cayman

ScubaSteven

Hey, everyone. I'm looking for some help with a recommended dive shop in Grand Cayman. We'll be diving from the shore and our time will be limited, in the water by about 12:15 and back on the ship before the 4:00pm departure. Any help would be appreciated!:cool:

Sunset Divers at Sunset House or Eden Rock

http://sunsethouse.com/

http://www.edenrockdive.com/

there's no charge to get wet - only to rent gear

I prefer Sunset as it is a little farther down the road hence fewer people go - aka less crowd - but I've gotten wet at Eden many times as well

I've done both. They're both good. With your time constraints, if you want to do more than 1 dive, you probably should go with Eden Rock. It's a 5 minute walk from the tender ports, whereas Sunset House is about a mile away - either a long walk, or 2 taxi rides, and I found it's not as easy to get a taxi to take you there as you might think.

Please let us know how the shore diving is. I will be there in March for one of my stops during a cruise. I have not heard or seen any reports on shore diving so any information would be beneficial. Thanks!

Cayman threads under ports of call

search: eden or sunset or shore

one of many http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=947936&highlight=sunset

Thanks for the great info Capt B J! My husband and friend had great dives in Grand Cayman at Sunset house! They took a cab ($5) to Sunset House on Wednesday and needed to have a cab called to get back after their 2 dives! The cab ride back after 1/2 hour wait was $10! The island was quite busy as there were 5 ships in port the first day! They went back on Thursday for a quick 1 tank dive again and had a great time! They said they were friendly both days, but much friendlier on the second day! I didn't go and hang out, I stayed on the ship the 1st day and then did some shopping the second day! It is definitely a place we will go to again! They even saw the submarine come by the 1st day! (They say they were almost hit by a submarine!) They were happy to be able to dive by themselves and look around and take their time! They were glad not to have to follow a dive master! They find that boring as they were both Rescue Divers and know what they are doing! The second day they were collecting fishing line and some trash to take back and dispose of.

Thanks again for the info! We will go to Sunset house again! We will be gooing back again next year!

Archived