MIA taxis insist on carseat now

asylum575

We just got back from a weekend cruise on the SKY. Everything was great except for the transportation to and from MIA. We were flat out refused a cab at the airport, we asked 4 different cabbies and they all said no. We were traveling with a niece(12), DS(5) and DD(19months). We've been cruising for some time and my DS has 5 cruises under his belt. This has never happened. The taxi dispatcher at the airport told me it was totally at the driver's discretion and none of them would do it.

We ended up taking the SuperShuttle to HI-POM. It was $48, :eek:. The taxi fare is normally half of that:mad:.

The driver we got at the hotel to the port gave us no trouble.

At the POM, the driver was hesitant. He even asked if I had a car seat for the baby. He took us anyway and I gave him $40 on a $24 flat fare. I didn't want to relive the MIA experience.

I don't blame the drivers at all. I understand it is a safety issue and if the taxi commission is targeting them with enforcement, I understand. Now, what I'd like to see is taxis with built in seats or a small seat in the trunk. Seems to me it would be an inexpensive investment and charge people $10 for it's use. I would gladly have paid $10.

I cannot explain the hassle it was at the airport. We were tired and hot and just wanted to get to the hotel.

We just got back from a weekend cruise on the SKY. Everything was great except for the transportation to and from MIA. We were flat out refused a cab at the airport, we asked 4 different cabbies and they all said no. We were traveling with a niece(12), DS(5) and DD(19months). We've been cruising for some time and my DS has 5 cruises under his belt. This has never happened. The taxi dispatcher at the airport told me it was totally at the driver's discretion and none of them would do it.

We ended up taking the SuperShuttle to HI-POM. It was $48, :eek:. The taxi fare is normally half of that:mad:.

The driver we got at the hotel to the port gave us no trouble.

At the POM, the driver was hesitant. He even asked if I had a car seat for the baby. He took us anyway and I gave him $40 on a $24 flat fare. I didn't want to relive the MIA experience.

I don't blame the drivers at all. I understand it is a safety issue and if the taxi commission is targeting them with enforcement, I understand. Now, what I'd like to see is taxis with built in seats or a small seat in the trunk. Seems to me it would be an inexpensive investment and charge people $10 for it's use. I would gladly have paid $10.

I cannot explain the hassle it was at the airport. We were tired and hot and just wanted to get to the hotel.

I arranged for a limo with a carseat when we flew into Miami. This would be an alternative to the problem especially if you have a large group that could split the cost.

Archived