New Orleans Hotels

CrusinCouple08

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for reading my post...I hope some of you can help me.

I am cruising out of New Orleans in January and looking for a good hotel to stay at. However, we'd much rather stay in the French Quarter than stay near the pier. Who knows when we will get back to New Orleans so we'd like to see all it has to offer.

Can anyone make any recommendations? We are also curious as to how much it would cost via taxi from the french quarter area to get to the port?

What about food in New Orleans? My boyfriend is a foody and we would like to enjoy a great southern dinner. Recommendations would be good.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you all enjoy your cruises! To me, it's the only way to travel!!!!

Amie

I recently stayed at the Omni Royal Orleans (about 3-4 blocks from Jackson Square) and it is a lovely hotel in a great location. Bourbon street is about a block away, a Walgreens is about 3 blocks, and there are a lot of good places to eat within walking distance.

If budget is not an issue Brennan's is a really good restaurant (home of Banannas Foster). This is about 1 1/2 blocks from the Omni.

Emeril Lagasse has a place just down the street from the Omni called NOLA. Prices are medium to high (my pork loin entree was $26) but the food and service were EXCELLENT. It was the best meal I had eaten in New Orleans.

Taxi from the airport to the city will be a flat rate of $33 (for up to 2 people) and depending on where you stay in the French Quarter the fare from the hotel to the pier will be about $10.

Another recommendation if you like history (and have the time)... I would rent a car (or take a day tour) to visit the Oak Alley and Laura plantations. I drove up with a friend and it was well worth the 1 hour drive from New Orleans. It was interesting to see how different the two homes/properties operated when they were active plantations at the same time and just about 2 miles apart.

• 2 weeks later...

Hotels: Omni is nice, but the definitive hotel in New Orleans is Le Pavillion (It's not technically in the FQ, but it's close). There's also the Royal Sonesta, the Monteleone, Le Richelieu, etc... Really, it just depends on how much you want to spend. There are also a BUNCH of nice B&Bs- one I would particularly recommend is Five Continents Bed and Breakfast (again, not in the FQ but it's pretty close)- It's a beautiful old home on Esplanade with a lot of charm and just a quick taxi ride to FQ.

Food: There are a lot of great restaurants, but there are a lot of tourist traps, too. If your BF is a serious, serious foodie, then you absolutely can NOT miss Commander's Palace (rather pricey, and coat/tie is a requirement) but it is absolutely impeccable. Galatoire's is another high end option. Another favorite of mine is Bayona, and Brennan's is also quite good. Any of these four will provide you with a memorable meal. For more casual dining, Port Of Call has amazing burgers, as does Camellia Grill. Central Grocery has fantastic muffalettas (though it's not a restaurant, per se). Petunia's has a great brunch with classic fare (grits and grillades, for example). Cafe Degas is another more casual choice. The locations of these are scattered- some are in the FQ, some are well off the beaten path.

the Royal Sonesta is wonderful - if you ask for a courtyard room you don't get the street noise and you have a nice quiet view. we love to be on the 3rd or 4th floor on the pool level with a balcony door.

Galatoires restaurant on Bourbon street (near the hotel) is 'old New Orleans' , service and food are great. and you have to stop at Cafe duMonde for beignets before you leave!

I stayed at the Doubletree and the Ramada (on Burbon St). both were good; I booked the Marriott for my next cruise. You got to go to Acme Oyster House for their grilled oysters. Mulati's is good. I want to try John Besh's steak house. I tried the muffalata at Central Grocery too. I heard that Ralph and Koodos? is good, but never tried it. And you got to to to Pat Obrien's for the hurricane.

For what it's worth, we stayed at the Best Western St Christopher earlier this year. Nothing fancy about the hotel, but it was a good place to sleep which is all we needed. It was by far the cheapest accommodations I found near the french quarter, it's convenient walking to everywhere we wanted to go. If you are feeling ambitious, you can walk to the pier from there.

Dining tip: Check out Mother's, food is terrific! Also check out Cafe Pontalba right on the corner of Jackson Square for lunch, great for people watching.

I just booked a pre-cruise room at the Drury Inn after reading many posts recommending his hotel on the boards, and thought I'd post an update regarding the cruise & park rates. Many posts referred to being able to leave the car and not getting charged for parking, or just paying for one night. When I called I was quoted the cruise package rate of $109.99 (room with 2 beds), plus $30.00 to leave our car there for the week, and was told that they had recently increased the rate for parking. If anyone is booking and gets quoted a different rate, or if there is a better deal out there, I'd love to hear about it!

It is still a very good deal, in my opinion, considering we would need a hotel for the night anyway and would then have to pay for parking at the cruise terminal, and it looks like the Drury offers extras such as "happy hour" and free hot breakfast, but I thought I'd just let everyone know about the price increase.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for reading my post...I hope some of you can help me.

I am cruising out of New Orleans in January and looking for a good hotel to stay at. However, we'd much rather stay in the French Quarter than stay near the pier. Who knows when we will get back to New Orleans so we'd like to see all it has to offer.

Can anyone make any recommendations? We are also curious as to how much it would cost via taxi from the french quarter area to get to the port?

What about food in New Orleans? My boyfriend is a foody and we would like to enjoy a great southern dinner. Recommendations would be good.

Thanks everyone, and I hope you all enjoy your cruises! To me, it's the only way to travel!!!!

Amie

Hi , We sailed on the spirit out of nola last feb. By all means stay near or in french quarter. We stayed at the Renaissance Pere Marquette ,which was very nice with a starbucks in the lobby. We did not have a meal that was not delicious.We ate at Baccos which is i believe owned by the Brennan familywho own many restaurants in the area. it was excellent. As one ccer told me when i asked for a good restaurant you can't swing a cat without hitting one in nola. It really is a wonderful place. wish we would have had longer than 2 days there.

I used to stay at the Hilton Riverside when the cruise terminal was at Julia Street. It is right on the Streetcar line up to the French Quarter and across the street from Harrah's and Riverwalk Mall.

Since you have to take a taxi to the pier from just about anywhere near the Quarter, I now stay at the Holiday Inn French Quarter on Royal Street. It's an older property, but clean and friendly and great location.

Go up the block to Walgreen's, hang a left and you're at Acme Oyster Bar. Love their food, but if you're in a big party, be warned they won't split the tickets.

For Muffalatta's, I like Market Cafe located next to the Joan of Arc statue down (or is it up?) from Cafe du Monde.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back on this past Saturday (Halloween). Our flight down there got into New Orleans late on Saturday the 24th (like 6:30 or 7:00PM) so I booked a room via Hotwire rather than spend more money for a hotel in the city at such a late hour. I used betterbidding website so I knew what hotel I'd be getting, the airport Crowne Plaza. GREAT hotel.....can't say enough about how great the shuttle was, the room was fabulous, the heated outdoor pool, and the free internet in the business center (but not free WiFi in the room).

Then we moved into the city for the next night (Sunday, since our cruise departed on a Monday). This time it was the Holiday Inn Superdome. This hotel paled in comparison to the previous one. Although WiFi in the room was free and the room itself was larger with a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom, other problems colored the stay. There was no hot water that night until after 10:00 PM!!!!! Yikes! And the free shuttle around to the nearby sites.......terrible. There were always many more people than the 14-passenger vehicle would hold. And they merely said the next shuttle would be in an hour (ran every hour on the hour) when asked about another trip to the French Quarter. Same situation with our attempt to ride on Monday to the cruise pier. They suggested we pay for a taxi! What a rip off.....part of the reason I booked it was for the transportation.... we ended up having to get a taxi on 3 different occasions that I felt I shouldn't have had to do. Since there were 5 of us in our group, that got fairly costly! Anyway, the staff at the front desk were incredibly rude on 2 different occasions, and said they were completely booked up, as if it were acceptable to be rude because of that and to not increase their shuttle trips. So, long story short, the Drury Inn, where we stayed during our cruise in June, was a much better choice and if I ever cruise out of N. Orleans again, I won't choose the Holiday Inn Superdome.

We just got back on this past Saturday (Halloween). Our flight down there got into New Orleans late on Saturday the 24th (like 6:30 or 7:00PM) so I booked a room via Hotwire rather than spend more money for a hotel in the city at such a late hour. I used betterbidding website so I knew what hotel I'd be getting, the airport Crowne Plaza. GREAT hotel.....can't say enough about how great the shuttle was, the room was fabulous, the heated outdoor pool, and the free internet in the business center (but not free WiFi in the room).

Then we moved into the city for the next night (Sunday, since our cruise departed on a Monday). This time it was the Holiday Inn Superdome. This hotel paled in comparison to the previous one. Although WiFi in the room was free and the room itself was larger with a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom, other problems colored the stay. There was no hot water that night until after 10:00 PM!!!!! Yikes! And the free shuttle around to the nearby sites.......terrible. There were always many more people than the 14-passenger vehicle would hold. And they merely said the next shuttle would be in an hour (ran every hour on the hour) when asked about another trip to the French Quarter. Same situation with our attempt to ride on Monday to the cruise pier. They suggested we pay for a taxi! What a rip off.....part of the reason I booked it was for the transportation.... we ended up having to get a taxi on 3 different occasions that I felt I shouldn't have had to do. Since there were 5 of us in our group, that got fairly costly! Anyway, the staff at the front desk were incredibly rude on 2 different occasions, and said they were completely booked up, as if it were acceptable to be rude because of that and to not increase their shuttle trips. So, long story short, the Drury Inn, where we stayed during our cruise in June, was a much better choice and if I ever cruise out of N. Orleans again, I won't choose the Holiday Inn Superdome.

Damn, I hate rude workers. I mean, I understand they get stressed out but it's no reason to take it out on their customers. Anybody in the service industry should know that!

Well, I heard several complaints that the hotel was full due to the Carnival cruisers that were booked there, and the Saints were playing out of town that weekend, I think in Florida?? (luckily for us or it would have maybe been worse).

I agree that there is no excuse for rudeness. I think if you're in the service industry and you're busy, all booked-up, or "full", that would be reason for celebration, given these tough economic times! Hotels are often suffering because of the economy, so the staff need to be happy to have customers! It is great job security!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI- I am cruising out of NOLA on Carnival Triumph on 1-9-2010. My wife and I are booked at the Hampton Inn- St. Peters St. in New Orleans. It is about 5 minutes from the port. I called the hotel directly and asked them about parking my car there for the duration of my cruise. They said that it would be free, but at my own risk. It is in a very nice area and really don't think there will be a problem. Our plans are to stay there the night before and then take a taxi to the cruise terminal. Hotel said that it is about an $8.00 ride from the hotel. Also, another great option that I did on my last cruise out of NO was stay at the Maison St. Charles Hotel (Quality Inn). Nice hotel. They actually will let you do that park and cruise rate of like 119.00 and then they actually will put your vehicle in a fenced gated and completely secured lot and I knew I had no worries then. Also worth the look. Two great options for people who want to avoid the really high terminal parking rates. Hope you find this helpful.

Bid on a room in the French Quarter using "Priceline dot com. I just booked 4* for $70 and received the Hilton Riverfront. Stay in the 4 or 3 star range and you will be fine.

I agree that Priceline is great for getting good deals. If you want to save money, there's no better website.

Just be careful because you may end up getting a hotel that doesn't have an amenity you want (such as a pool or restaurant). If you're going high end, you should be okay though. A good resource for finding out Priceline hotels is this website that has Priceline hotel lists from information gathered on their bulletin board.

One final tip. Priceline hotels are non-refundable. You can't cancel once you buy.

• 1 month later...

I'm flying into NOLA two days before my cruise in March. I can't decide between a few hotels - Inn on Bourbon, Bourbon Orleans and Maison Dupuy. Does anyone have experience with either hotel? I'd rather not stay at a "cookie cutter" hotel. TIA!

Chasey,

I have stayed at Maison Dupuy for a company function. Hotel is very nice. It is a hotel with that New Orleans charm. It is in the French Quarter with walking access to all major restaurants. Our company walked from the hotel to eat at all the different restaurants and activities. You will not be disappointed. Hope this was of some help. Any questions just ask!

Lane

I'm flying into NOLA two days before my cruise in March. I can't decide between a few hotels - Inn on Bourbon, Bourbon Orleans and Maison Dupuy. Does anyone have experience with either hotel? I'd rather not stay at a "cookie cutter" hotel. TIA!

Chasey,

I have stayed at Maison Dupuy for a company function. Hotel is very nice. It is a hotel with that New Orleans charm. It is in the French Quarter with walking access to all major restaurants. Our company walked from the hotel to eat at all the different restaurants and activities. You will not be disappointed. Hope this was of some help. Any questions just ask!

Lane

Thanks for the help! A friend suggest Bienville House and I searched it - beautiful property. Now I've narrowed it between Maison and Bienville. Decisions, decisions!!! :confused::cool:

Thanks for the help! A friend suggest Bienville House and I searched it - beautiful property. Now I've narrowed it between Maison and Bienville. Decisions, decisions!!! :confused::cool:

We stayed at the Bienville House the year it opened! Although that has been a "few" years ago it was fantastic! the location is great; easy walking distance to most places.

Sorry, I was incorrect. We stayed at the Iberville Suites...as soon as I posted this I realized my error. Sorry...

Archived