Do you ever feel uncomfortable about going on a cruise?

travelgyalrox2

Interesting topic; definitely thoughts I have been working to avoid. :o I definitely get to be the odd one...

First of all, I dont think that cruising is a cheap vacation. We have ourselves and two children in 2 staterooms (1 balcony+1inside). With excursions, transport, hotels, etc we are close to a $6000 budget. If that is cheap in your book, then congratulations.

With many close friends and family, our holiday trip is a uncomfortable conversation. I dont know if it just dumb luck, but I have MANY family and friends affected badly by the current cruddy economy. So the conversation cant really transition from "me listening to their challenges, showing empathy" to changing the subject to "them hearing my shopping list for mazatlan". I wouldnt call this guilt... just showing some sensitivity. I havent had anyone say anything, but I wondered if it would be salt in the wound. I already get enough cracks for traveling so often.

On a broader note, I dont even shop at Walmart, yet I will cruise? how hypocritical. (considering the labor and environmental issues)

For me it isnt guilt, more like shame...

I dont judge others for going! Cruising is a blast- there could be better ways (IMO) that the cruiselines could manage their employees

AND I do plan to have a great time with my family without dragging out the soapbox (no room in the suitcase ;)).

I think once I get there, I will find ways to help those serving me (tips :D)

I do feel guilty sometimes. I don't worry about what other people think but sometimes I think I could use the money to help people who don't have as much. So far it hasn't stopped me from cruising or taking other vacations either and we do give to charity too but yes, there is always some guilt about spending on myself.

I mean, because its such a luxury vacation, with all these ppl waiting on you, and just its reputation. Do you feel wary about tellin freinds you're going on one, and even on the cruise, do u not enjoy it to the fullest because you feel somehow strange?

This is what happens to me.

plz give any view u have, even tips for me not to feel like this, etc

I don't really consider cruising on any of the mass market lines "luxury" as much as a really decent vacay for a lot of working class folks. The high dollar lines (Cunard, Oceana, Regency) are probably far more "luxurious" but I don't have those bucks to test this theory out, LOL.

Otherwise, to answer the question- I don't feel guilty because I work hard for my money, live below my means in many areas and make conscience decisions on what I want to splurge on. Our cruises have been our splurges. Others choose to blow their money on cigarettes, new cars, McMansions, etc.

Archived