looking for a nice place for lunch near cape Sounio

sbs1717

Hi, I am looking into a few tour companys that go to Cape Sounio to see the Poseidon and thay all mention we can stop for lunch by the water. Has anyone been to a nice restaurant on the water or in that area that they would recommend?

Hi, I am looking into a few tour companys that go to Cape Sounio to see the Poseidon and thay all mention we can stop for lunch by the water. Has anyone been to a nice restaurant on the water or in that area that they would recommend?

Hi fellow over taxed New Jersey resident:)

We took a sunset tour to Temple of Poseidon last October, with Paul of AthensTaxi. Paul lived in New Jersey for 25 years (No wonder why he went back to Greece).:D Actually, we had his nephew Dimitri as our driver. As part of the tour, we stopped for dinner at a lovely seaside restaurant the Demitri suggested. Food was fresh, homemade & wonderful, restaurant had a beautiful waterfront view.

Unfortunately, I do not remember the name. However, if you have not finalized your choice of a tour company, you might want to contact Paul @ AthensTaxi. Their price was very reasonable, Dimitri was very informative & personable. You might not have considered it, but the temple sunset tour is great (As long as it isn't overcast or raining):eek:

You can reach Paul at:

www AthensTaxi dot org

Regarding Athens Taxi, as well as all taxi tours companies.

The drivers are not licensed guides, however, in Dimitri's case he was very informative on the history of The Temple of Poseidon & and the various sights we passed along our drive out to Cape Sounion.

Have a wonderful time.

Anthony

232323232%7Ffp53635%3Enu%3D3379%3E6%3A%3A%3E395%3EWSNRCG%3D32394%3A7%3A8%3A6%3A%3Anu0mrj

Thank you for the advice,. Yes, New Jersey is outrageous with corrupt politicians and the hit show the Sopranos, when we travel people seem to always think we are all Mobsters.

I have checked into Athens by Taxi and are between him and two others still. I wish we could go at sunset sounds beautiful but we should be back on the ship by 6:00 so we will miss out on that.

Thank you for the advice,. Yes, New Jersey is outrageous with corrupt politicians and the hit show the Sopranos, when we travel people seem to always think we are all Mobsters.

I have checked into Athens by Taxi and are between him and two others still. I wish we could go at sunset sounds beautiful but we should be back on the ship by 6:00 so we will miss out on that.

A word of caution (JMHO), a tour to Cape Sounion & Temple of Poseidon is not one I would want to take if it is raining.

Whoever you decide to utilize, check with their cancellation policy. I believe Paul's was up to 24-hrs prior to tour. We checked the weather forecast two days prior to arriving in Athen's, to see whether or not we still wanted to take the tour. As a matter of fact our driver Dimitri, even indicated during our conversations , that he would memtion to clients that the tour would not be nearly as enjoyable if it is raining.

Just two side notes: If time permits, try and get to The National Archeological Muesum. Its' about a 10 minute taxi ride from Syntagma Square. We thought it was wonderful. Enjoyed it almost as much as the Acropolis.

If you'd like to just relax and enjoy a wonderful view overlooking Athens, then I suggest a taxi to Lycabettus Hill & taking the funicular car to the top. Highest point in all of Athens, on a clear day you can see all the way to the harbor. The is the lovely chapel of St George at the top, as well as a cafe to sit and relax enjoying the view while endulging in a coffe or a snack for lunch.

Stay well,

Anthony

Akporiavi (with a backward r and an upside down v) is the restaurant we dined at by the sea. The view was gorgeous and the meal was delicious.

This place is in a small village on the way to Cape Sounion and clustered with a few other restaurants. They have employees stand on the road to wave cars into their lots. Our driver chose this place because he said the restrooms are clean, a good way to judge a place, too!

There is a restaurant at Cape Sounion that looked very nice and had beautiful views, too.

We are going to Cape Souion in October. We will be on the Equinox and wanted to do something different than going to Athens which we have done already. Could you tell me why you would recommend not going there if it is raining? Is it because the road is slippery and winding or is it that it is difficult to get out and see the sites. I thank you in advance.

We are going to Cape Souion in October. We will be on the Equinox and wanted to do something different than going to Athens which we have done already. Could you tell me why you would recommend not going there if it is raining? Is it because the road is slippery and winding or is it that it is difficult to get out and see the sites. I thank you in advance.

It comes down to one's personal opinion, but here is why I would not go.

1) The ride out to Cape Sounion is along the coast. On a clear sunny day, the colors of the buildings & the sea are much more pronounced. On a cloudy, rainy day everything takes on a greyish dull look to it. Who wants to get out in the rain for photo opportunities?

Let's face it, on a rainy day no matter where you are, the colors and sights around you take on a greyish, dull color tone to them.

2) Once out at Cape Sounion, the Temple of Poseidon is atop the cliff. When viewing the temple, you are fully exposed to the elements. If it is raining, you won't get the various color variations off of the stone columns, that are produced due to the effects of the sun reflecting off of the temple structure.

3) If you happen to be on a sunset tour, if its' cloudy & raining, there won't be a sunset to even see. In which case you'd miss something like this:

232323232%7Ffp53639%3Enu%3D3379%3E6%3A%3A%3E395%3EWSNRCG%3D32394%3A7%3A96%3A%3B5nu0mrj

Stay well,

Anthony

Thanks everyone for all the info. Anthony that is a beautiful sunset! I have decided on Nikos from private greece tours, but will ask him if the weather is bad to see if we can switch to the all day tour in Athens. I was between the two tours and thought a ride along the coast would be something different, I agree not worth the drive out and back in rainy weather! Thanks!

Coming from Chicago, I know what you mean. We are now paying 11% tax in restaurants in downtown Chicago and many soon have 2 governors (Illinois) in prison at the same time.

To top it all, our mayor wants to host the Olympics!!

Archived