Venice - St. Mark's line skip

janoma

On Rick Steve's audio download for St. Mark's, he says that you must check large bags, but that you can check them at the "depository" and they will give you a pass to go directly in, thus skipping the line. (1) Am I hearing this correctly? (2) Has anyone done this successfully? (3) Is this still true? Definitely sounds like a "too good to be true" situation, so I'm not sure what I'm missing...any info would be appreciated. I intend to be there before the doors open but any line skipping (w/o having to hire a private tour) would be helpful.

Janoma- You can make reservations for a specific time period online at www.alata.it It is a free service,you just show up, show your reservation to one of the guards and they let you in. When we were there this past Juiy, there was about a 45 minute wait, however, we just walked right in.

Thanks copperski - one thing I found on here a couple of days ago - did you find that everyone ate "off ship" the night you're in Venice. That was my plan from Day 1 (thought I was being clever or at least a rebel), but someone just posted the other day that they were the only ones eating ON the ship that night. Just want to pass along info to our travel companions who might not be adventurous....

Janoma- You can make reservations for a specific time period online at www.alata.it It is a free service,you just show up, show your reservation to one of the guards and they let you in. When we were there this past Juiy, there was about a 45 minute wait, however, we just walked right in.

Thank you for this link. I noticed the OP said they booked tickets for Oct, so I went and checked it out and booked mine, too. On the Basilica San Marco website, you can pre-book tickets, but not until 48 hours prior to your visit, so this was very handy to get it done and out of the way. Thanks again!

On Rick Steve's audio download for St. Mark's, he says that you must check large bags, but that you can check them at the "depository" and they will give you a pass to go directly in, thus skipping the line. (1) Am I hearing this correctly? (2) Has anyone done this successfully? (3) Is this still true? Definitely sounds like a "too good to be true" situation, so I'm not sure what I'm missing...any info would be appreciated. I intend to be there before the doors open but any line skipping (w/o having to hire a private tour) would be helpful.

I just want to report that we did this very thing last May and it worked like a charm. The trick is in finding the depository which is tucked into a little street just to the north of the Basilica.

I even made my husband tote along his back pack so we would have a bag big enough to check and be able to get this nice perk.

We just returned from Venice. You can book a specific date/time on-line to skip the lines. There isn't a charge, and it worked beautifully. I had a reservation for three people on August 1st, arriving anytime between 3:00 and 3:15. We walked right in, past hundreds of people that were standing on line. My son needed to check his backpack. The check-in is right around the corner, and you get a receipt, but that receipt does not give you front of the line. P.S.......don't foreget shorts, and sleeveless tops are not allowed

Thanks copperski - one thing I found on here a couple of days ago - did you find that everyone ate "off ship" the night you're in Venice. That was my plan from Day 1 (thought I was being clever or at least a rebel), but someone just posted the other day that they were the only ones eating ON the ship that night. Just want to pass along info to our travel companions who might not be adventurous....

We ate in Venice and didn't get back on board the ship until 11:30,so I can't tell you if it was empty or not. However, our waiter told is that although a lot of people do stay in Venice for dinner, there were still quiete a few people that came back for dinner. I'm sure your travel companions will not be the only ones eating on the ship that night.

Archived