Stairs handrail issue, not just on cruises!

PennyAgain

I got a new brochure from the Smithsonian Journies folks and read the Terms and Conditions very carefully.

The requirement that a person be able to walk a mile over unlevel ground and climb and descend stairs without handrails is now for ALL Smithsonian tours. All.

Are things going backwards?

I'm really disappointed. I've made 2 trips with the Smithsonian and was looking forward to doing another, but I can't make those requirements.

Doors should be opening and not closing!

Yes, disappointing. The trend is spreading! I don't like it at all but don' know what to do about it. Taulk Tours is famous for having a lot of rules both for their land tours and cruises including an absolutely fixed upper age limit for 89 (no one 90 and over is allowed), but other companies are picking up the idea.

I think - like other companies - they're all trying to deflect risk and they see risk (e.g., potential lawsuits) in folks that have disability. And, if they're not flagged in the USA, I doubt there's anything we can do as the ADA doesn't apply. We could boycott them but that's just what they're doing to us anyway so they could care less; I guess they feel they have a big enough target market that they don't need those who might need a little more help. Truly the only way to "fight it" would probably be to start our own business catering to those of us who need additional help.

So sad, so sad.

You are entirely correct in your thinking. I never expected to hit such a brick wall for my travels.

I can walk (slowly) a mile over uneven ground, but have trouble keeping up with a tour group. The stairs are a real issue for me as I have fallen on stairs and am spooked about them.

Husband and I talked about the futility of lying about my abilities out of fear we could be put off the tour without a refund and also about the possibility of going into training to master going down stairs without a handrail.

Too darn dangerous! Not going to go into training for stairs.

Archived