Destiny 08 Oct 09 - Tux for Captains night?

Hi Guys,

This is the first cruise for me and the wife and after reading some of the posts for the standards onboard Destiny, do they still have Captains night and does anyone still get proper dressed up as this is something her in doors is looking forward to.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

We are travelling on the Destiny in Jan 2010 and have been told there is a Captains night. When we were on the Spirit some men wore suits and others DJs, neither looked out of place. For the women there were long dresses, cocktail dresses, smart trousers and tops. Everyone who attended made an effort and everyone looked really nice.

I would say go for it, you will find there are all different styles from casual to formal depending on peoples tastes and wants from the cruise.

Have fun.

Deb

Yep just back from 2 wks back to back. I can say that on Both Captains Night (Friday Night's) 98% of people got suited and booted. If you have a tux take it with you. Its a very nice occasion and it was great to see the Kids all suited and booted too. Luvly

Enjoy :D

Hi Guys,

This is the first cruise for me and the wife and after reading some of the posts for the standards onboard Destiny, do they still have Captains night and does anyone still get proper dressed up as this is something her in doors is looking forward to.

Thanks in advance.

Yes I found 90% peeps get all togged up nice.. Men in tux and womes in lovley dresses its part of the fun the dressing up haha.. enjoy your selfs :D

'Her indoors' will have a lovely time then because most people dress up lovely and look stunning walking around the ship! So you will have to keep up with her and get your good stuff out! Go on...enjoy yourselves

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our first Destiny cruise ( Mediterainian Renaissance) yesterday. All I can say to you is - WOW !. We had a fantastic time, this coming from a person who was terribly worried about sea sickness. In fact, I concerned myself with the subject from the time we booked the trip last November. Looking back it was such a shame that I got myself so worked up. I have to admit that there was a rough patch, day 2 when we spent the entire day at sea. I remember waking up and thinking that all my worst fears were about to come to light. Thankfully, I did bring some motion sickness tablets and took one. I was fine after that, perfect in fact. No drowsiness or artificial dopy feeling. The days following were fine and you tend to forget that you are on a ship.

Concerning your question about the Captain's Cocktail Party. Yes there are people who do wear the tux's and women who wear formal dresses. I felt the same hesitation that you do. My husband doesn't own a tux and I do not own a formal dress. It is important to say that there are an equal amount of people who did not wear formal but dressed up for the special occasion. My husband brought a nice suit & tie and I wore nice trousers with a suitable top. We enjoyed watching everyone going into the early setting of the cocktail party. Such a variety of glitter, suits, and shoes that I wouldn't be able to stand up in, let alone walk in. There were a few people who made little effort at all. My advice to you is if you have something special, bring it, but don't feel as though you have to go out and buy a tux.

You are going to have such a great time. Our cabin was 6075 and comfortable enough. The attention you get will be second to none. All the staff are professional. I still can't get over how on the second day we went into a lounge and the waitress knew our name at first sight, and what we drank. This happened on more than one occasion at different lounges. We enjoyed ourselves so much that we have booked a cruise for next year on the Thomson Spirit - 2 weeks this time. Never thought that would happen.

Wishing you and yours a wonderful time. Let me know if there are any other questions I could help you with.

Archived