Beware Of Braids!

cancerfree2000

In Nassau, beware of the braiding station that is just outside of the dock area. They seek out people to have their hair braided and advertise as $2.00/braid. They then braid VERY SMALL! You could easily end up with $60+ if you're not careful!

We were recently on Enchantment of the Seas 12/20-12/27. We were at Cozumel, Grand Caymen, and Nassau. While in Cozumel, my youngest daughter had half her hair braided for $20. My oldest daughter waited until Bahamas because she wanted it done near the end of the trip. When the lady started braiding, I commented that they braids were very small, she assured me they had to be so the beads could fit. I had several discussions with her regarding the braids, cost, etc. while she was braiding my daughter's hair. Finally, with only half a head done....and 22 braids already....I got my husband involved. We ended up only paying $40 because that is all my daughter had taken on shore with her. I also felt that was more than fair because I complained from the start. My daughter commented to me that the person was really getting rough with her by the end....probably my fault for being so vocal!

They were braiding hair at the Straw Market, it could be the same situation...just beware, negotiate a price before the person starts....or get your hair braided in Cozumel! They were VERY nice and friendly! :)

PS...TAKE YOUR OWN COMB!

My neice, who was 15 at the time, had her hair braided on one of the bahama islands, and my brother went in to negotiate a price before hand. She was there all day with her shoulder length very thick hair and about 150 braids, for the bargained price of $50. Smooth move on his part I think! It funny now to see people around here in the NW with teeny tiny braids all over their heads, as I know where they have been travelling! ok, yeah I am jealous!

Archived