Malaga to Marbella and Torremolinos taxi or drive?

My husband and I will be traveling in Costa Europa in October. A port of call will be Malaga docking there for 11 hours. Would like to see Marbella, Puerto Banus, Mijas and Torremolinos if possible. Anybody been there? We are debating between a taxi or to drive. Give us your opinion, please.

My husband and I will be traveling in Costa Europa in October. A port of call will be Malaga docking there for 11 hours. Would like to see Marbella' date=' Puerto Banus, Mijas and Torremolinos if possible. Anybody been there? We are debating between a taxi or to drive. Give us your opinion, please.[/quote']

Take the train from Malaga to Finguerola, stopping @ the places ,from Marbella,u can walk to Puerto Banus.

RENFE ,web site for times,@ today is every 30 mins 3 euros

That would be a very expensive taxi ride. I stayed at Mijas Golf for a wedding, whilst a friend stayed in marbeklla. we both arrived at malaga airport and the wedding itself was in Mijas. Malaga to Mijas Golf (much closer than Mijas) took about 45 minutes and i think cost me about 40-50 euros. I met my friend in marbella one day and it was about a 30 minute taxi ride from Mijas golf and cost over 20 euros. The wedding coach took us from mijas Golf to Mijas and that was about half an hour to get there. Torremolinos is quite a bit further on.

I think you would easily spend close to 200 euros doing it all by taxi.

marbella is nice and Puert banus even nicer and easy to walk to from marbella. Mijas is a lovely town high up in the hills and also well worth a visit

Hey you guys thanks for your shared opinions. My husband doen't want to take the train, but if the taxi costs about 200E maybe is not a bad deal if we can share between 4. The car rental for one day is close to 100E. We would also consider an excursion or private tour to these places, anybody knows any? Dorita

By the way' date=' I forgot to ask about the road conditions. Is it safe? Are there dangerous cliffs or mountains? Is there a main highway that takes you to these places? Thanks for helping.[/quote']

The roads are fine for the places you want to visit. The approach up to Mijas is a bt steep and winding but not dangerous at all.

You have an 11hour call here for those travelling to the Alhambra Palace at Granada. Generally considered to be the top destination in this area.

If you are not heading to Granada, you will find the towns west of Malaga are mostly beach resorts which in many places simply blend from one to the next. Overbuilding has created many a blot on the landscape.It is big, brash, vastly overdeveloped, full of bars, hotels etc, and crowded with Europeans of various nationalities for much of the year. Torremolinos is probably the worst of the resorts. If you read descriptions of the town, eg frommers (online) you might want to reconsider "sightseeing" here, allowing more time elsewhere. The coast road is just block after block of hotels and apartments with shops. You will see almost nothing of the sea because the promenades, apartments and hotels have the sea views, the road generally runs behind these. Better sea views can be had from the toll autoroute which sits higher up. The more select/upmarket areas tend to be more inland and located around golf courses.Puerto Banus is quite small, expensive, upmarket shops (designer with designer prices) , marina with amazing boats. Definitely worth a stop if passing nearby.

As an alternative to an expensive taxi or car hire, all the places you mentioned are easily reached by public transport, either bus or train or a combination of both and could be combined with a taxi or two also. Trains (very inexpensive) run from Malaga to Fuengirola, from here buses to Mijas (or taxi), Puerto Banus, Marbella. There are also direct faster buses from Malaga airport to Marbella although you would have additional time spent getting to the airport. Buses from Malaga bus station which is next door to the train station. Plenty of transport info and timetables online because this area is very well served by public transport. It would take a bit of online research to work out your timings but it can be done.

The nicest part of this area is actually inland where there are some mountain views, and some pretty villages, of which Mijas is one, although it is no longer a village, more like a small town. (Most stunning is IMHO Ronda which definitely merits a visit.) And Malaga itself has several sights and museums of interest and a historical old town. The tourist office has free walking route maps.

• 2 months later...
You have an 11hour call here for those travelling to the Alhambra Palace at Granada. Generally considered to be the top destination in this area.

If you are not heading to Granada, you will find the towns west of Malaga are mostly beach resorts which in many places simply blend from one to the next. Overbuilding has created many a blot on the landscape.It is big, brash, vastly overdeveloped, full of bars, hotels etc, and crowded with Europeans of various nationalities for much of the year. Torremolinos is probably the worst of the resorts. If you read descriptions of the town, eg frommers (online) you might want to reconsider "sightseeing" here, allowing more time elsewhere. The coast road is just block after block of hotels and apartments with shops. You will see almost nothing of the sea because the promenades, apartments and hotels have the sea views, the road generally runs behind these. Better sea views can be had from the toll autoroute which sits higher up. The more select/upmarket areas tend to be more inland and located around golf courses.Puerto Banus is quite small, expensive, upmarket shops (designer with designer prices) , marina with amazing boats. Definitely worth a stop if passing nearby.

As an alternative to an expensive taxi or car hire, all the places you mentioned are easily reached by public transport, either bus or train or a combination of both and could be combined with a taxi or two also. Trains (very inexpensive) run from Malaga to Fuengirola, from here buses to Mijas (or taxi), Puerto Banus, Marbella. There are also direct faster buses from Malaga airport to Marbella although you would have additional time spent getting to the airport. Buses from Malaga bus station which is next door to the train station. Plenty of transport info and timetables online because this area is very well served by public transport. It would take a bit of online research to work out your timings but it can be done.

The nicest part of this area is actually inland where there are some mountain views, and some pretty villages, of which Mijas is one, although it is no longer a village, more like a small town. (Most stunning is IMHO Ronda which definitely merits a visit.) And Malaga itself has several sights and museums of interest and a historical old town. The tourist office has free walking route maps.

Since I've previously covered the area including the Alhambra, I'm interested in anything you might share on Mijas or Ronda. Not keen on going off on my own via public transport. The ship has an excursion to each place.

Highlights of each

Is one better than the other and why?

Which would you recommend if you could only do one?

Thanks!:)

Archived