2 girls, 1 rental car, rum point= safe?

caribbeancruiser09

Hi everyone!

My best friend and I are going on a cruise in a few weeks and have decided to rent a car in Grand Cayman (via Avis) and drive to Rum Point Beach for the day. Is Grand Cayman generally considered a safe island for such an adventure? Should we be worried about anything in particular? I've gotten plenty of gripes from loved ones, but I figure you all are much better experts!

Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

I have done it twice, last time being with all women. The hardest part was driving on the wrong side of the road. I had my sister sit up front and help me navigate. We had no problems at all and IMO it is well worth the drive. Beach is not crowded at all. Here is a shot I took from the end of the pier there.

2737748730064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

thanks so much for your quick reply, gail! So you weren't worried about safety? I know it's naive, but we're both 25 and don't know if we should be worred about the usual worried in countries such as Honduras or Mexico right now. I'm rolling my eyes at myself even as I write this, but you can never be too safe, right?

You are never wrong to be worried about your safety! IMO it is a safe area. ALWAYS take a copy of your passport with you, as well as the emergency phone numbers they put on the Capers for the port you are in. There are few turns to make to get to Rum Point, and I believe only one road crosses the island.

You will probably be safer in the Caymens then you are at home. The island is easy to navigate and you just have to make sure that you allow plenty of time to make it back to the ship in time. My daughter got married on the island last summer and 50 of us spent the week exploring the island. No one had any problems anywhere that they went. It was a wonderful week and we were wandering around at all hours of the day and night.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! To those who rented a car (or got to explore the island a bit), is there anything along the route to rum point that we shouldn't miss? Any hidden treasures along the road?

ps- I can't wait to be away from it all in 5 days!!!

There is some beautiful ocean scenery on your right side as you drive from Georgetown heading towards Boddentown. Other than this there isn't really "can't miss" areas enroute to Rum point.

We spend a fair amount of time on the island as we own a residence at the Ritz Carlton. You will NOT find a safer, friendlier and generally pleasant island in all the Caribbean basin. Just use common sense and be attentive to the right hand drive/left hand side of the road driving and you'll have a fantastic adventure.

Archived