Info re: Hot Stone Massage

nunuc2000

Howdy... we're on the Sun in November, and I'm seriously considering getting a Hot Stone Massage. I've never had one, but it sure sounds like something I might enjoy. Have any of you had a Hot Stone Massage on an NCL ship? If so, would you do it again? Do you recall what the cost was, and how long it took?

Any input you can offer would be appreciated... including any other Spa related info you can think of that might be useful.

Many thanks :)

I had it done several times. it was fabulous. Prices depend on length of time. I had the 90 minute one but I don't remember how much I paid. i think it was $ 125.00 but not sure because it was on a sale offering. i think it goes for around $165 to $195 not sure. Full body 90 minutes. They did have all different prices.

Howdy... we're on the Sun in November, and I'm seriously considering getting a Hot Stone Massage. I've never had one, but it sure sounds like something I might enjoy. Have any of you had a Hot Stone Massage on an NCL ship? If so, would you do it again? Do you recall what the cost was, and how long it took?

Any input you can offer would be appreciated... including any other Spa related info you can think of that might be useful.

Many thanks :)

DW and i had a couples hot stone massage on the Sky earlier this month. I forget the exact price. I think it was something like $120-ish. I'll look it up when I get home tonight with the exact price we paid.

as for the massage...it was amazing! the heat from the stones remains constant with every stroke. we would have done a 2nd massage if we weren't on a limited budget for this trip.

I did not have a hot stone massage on a cruise line. I had my first hot stone massage just a week ago (at a massage center) and it was fabulous! As another poster stated, the stones stay nice and hot and it is just a wonderful sensation.

Yes-have the hot stone massage!!! I've had a lot of massages and it was the best ever.

I had one of their 3 piece specials for like $79, and then when I got my sales pitch for items, she offered to throw in a 30 minute hot stone massage if I bought the products. I bought two products (only one of which I'd buy again-the Musclease) and it was worth it for the massage alone!

I definately would recommend it. I had one on a cruise ship and it was absolutely fabulous!! One thing I would recommend for anyone who wants any kind of massage on a cruise. I would get it early in the cruise for two reasons, 1) it will help relax you to get into the right frame mind for the rest of the cruise and 2) if you get any sunburn, the massage will not be relaxing but will actually hurt... imagine some one rubbing or placing hot stones on a place that is sunburned ! OUCH :eek:

Speaking from experience !

I definately would recommend it. I had one on a cruise ship and it was absolutely fabulous!! One thing I would recommend for anyone who wants any kind of massage on a cruise. I would get it early in the cruise for two reasons, 1) it will help relax you to get into the right frame mind for the rest of the cruise and 2) if you get any sunburn, the massage will not be relaxing but will actually hurt... imagine some one rubbing or placing hot stones on a place that is sunburned ! OUCH :eek:

Ooooohhh... good advice on making certain there isnt's a sunburn to deal with - ouch!!:(

I had never had a hot stone massage until my Spirit cruise in July. We were walking around the ship sometime after leaving port and found ourselves by the spa. I had read in the Daily that if you took a spa tour you would be eligible for a spa raffle, so when we wandered by my husband agreed to "take the tour." They actually give you a teaser of hot stone therapy in the waiting room, moving the stones up and down your arms. DH said to "sign us up" for a couples massages later that afternoon. He had never had any kind of massage before, and I had never done hot stones before. Let me tell you, it was a fabulous way to start off the cruise. Totally amazing. Both of us had really bad knots in our necks and shoulders. It was so sweet when they joined our hands at the end of the massage and let us just lay there for a while. We signed up for another couple massages for Day 3 (they say every other day - not every day - for a massage). The oils do get into your hair a bit (plus they even massage the scalp some) so leave yourself time to bathe afterwards.

The 2nd massage went way too quickly and really helped to further relax problem areas. The girls were great and spent extra time on neck and shoulders. We signed up for a 3rd massage for day 5 but had to cancel due to sunburn. Remember, port days are 10-20% off, so if you only schedule one massage, plan to do it your first port day so less chance of sunburn and best buy. Also, when I later checked the flyer from the 1st day, I discovered the first day was to have been at port day pricing. They had charged us full price (I believe it was $168 w/gratuity) so I had to go back with flyer in hand and ask them to honor the lower price. The manager was a witch and did so but very begrudgedly - actually asked me "where" I got the flyer! mumbling something about it wasn't supposed to have been in there.) We got 20% off the 2nd massage ($118 w/gratuity I think), and had to reschedule alternate spa services so as not to get charged a cancellation fee for the 3rd massage. (I had a facial, and then had to fight for the port day pricing on that too!). Finally, the next to last night I got an envelope in my room stating I could get 20% another spa service on the last day for having been a runner up in the raffle. Unfortunately, I didn't want to spend any more money for spa services, plus did not want to see that witch manager again.

So check your Dailies for the deals, and look at your receipts. I'm looking to find a hot stone massage therapist close by because it did wonders for my neck. BTW, purchased the musclease product and it is nice! Don't hesitate.

Two pieces of advice about hot stone in addition to the above.

1) get the 90 minute rather than the 60. Since each area is massaged twice (once before the stone, then with it), the 60 minute seems too rushed.

2) tell the therapist up front that you are not interested in purchasing any products (unless, of course, you are) and then you can skip the 5 minute sales pitch, which IMHO always reduces the enjoyment of the experience. I just want to float out after my treatment, not tell someoe 'no' a dozen times.

Thanks for that advice! I do tend to get sunburned no matter how careful I am so I will do it on the first day!

Have one done locally at home for less than half the price and see if you like it. I liked it at first, but I get overheated easily and after about 30-45 minutes, I was done...stick a fork in me! :D

A message therapist usually charges from $40-$65 for an hour massage at home. Then you'll know if you like it or not, and you won't have paid $150 or more (incl. gratuity) to find out.

DT

I would say try the hot stone massage somewhere cheaper before the cruise. I love all types of massages, especially deep tissue but not the hot stone massage. To me it's painful, not relaxing, and I can take a lot of pain. Had it twice and never again, definitely not for the cruise spa price.

I agree though that 90 min is better than 60 min anytime.

Also, here are January prices for the massages on the Dawn:

AromaStone - 50min:$149, 75min: $195, value $176

AromaSpa Seaweed - 75min: $195, 90min: $259, value: $176/$233

Full Body - 50min: $119

Deep Tissue- 50min: $129

Aromaflex or Reflexology - 50min: $119

Couples Massage - 50min: $269

Also, here are January prices for the massages on the Dawn:

AromaStone - 50min:$149, 75min: $195, value $176

AromaSpa Seaweed - 75min: $195, 90min: $259, value: $176/$233

Full Body - 50min: $119

Deep Tissue- 50min: $129

Aromaflex or Reflexology - 50min: $119

Couples Massage - 50min: $269

Thanks for all the info!! That helps in making the decision... but what is the "value" price for?

this is SOOOOO relaxing (just like my other massages i have been fortunate to experience) that ONCE AGAIN...i fell asleep on the table!!! i caught myself snoring again! :eek:

This was me during the hot stone massage! LOL

Archived