Camera help

junebug8

So both use non-standard XD cards then?

I never really thought of them as non-standard - they're just what those brands use. I have about 6 of the XD cards now between the ones that came with the cameras, two I bought, and a few more from a friend that broke his Fuji and gave me his old cards and have never really had any issues with them. The Olympus cards do the panoramic shots - for some reason the Fuji and off-brand xd cards don't but I was aware of that quirk before I bought the Olympus with that feature. My desktop computer and printer both have one of those 13 in one card readers in it so it doesn't really matter what type memory card you have - you just pop it in and go.

I also like the video feature on the Olympus I currently have - it completely eliminated the need to have a separate video camera for us.

My wife has a Olympus Stylus 1030 SW..... its been on our last 2 cruises....awesome camera.....good to 33 feet below the surface.....can be dropped from 6 1/2 feet without damage....takes great photos and awesome video too. Batteries last long and charge easily.....I highly recommend it! 379.00 was the price

We bought the Fuji Z33 two weeks ago and took it to Cozumel for underwater pics. Worked great, no leaking. It takes all SD cards and is backward compatible. Paid $154.99 at Best Buy for a blue one. Also bought a floating wrist strap from Abe's of Maine for $6.95, shipping included.

Help! We leave for our cruise in Oct. and I am still undecided about a new camera. I am torn between the Fuji Z33 and the Olympus 6000. I have read the reviews, posted on the photo board here, etc. I am not a diver but have snorkled on occasion. I am looking for feedback and maybe photos that you took with either of these cameras. There is about a $100 difference between the two. I currently own a Kodak Share which is ok but am looking for something that can get wet and be ok, and also take good photos underwater and above. I'm not asking for much, now am I??:D Thanks!

I have an Olympus underwater camera. 1050SW I think? I'm pleased with it, but not good at aiming yet. It's easy on batteries and takes decent pics.

I have a Fuji, but it's not an underwater camera. If I were to use a regular digital for underwater pics, I would use the Fuji because it sucks at normal pics so why not trash it for some underwater pics that might turn out OK. I'll never own another Fuji. I don't recall the model number, but DW paid ~ $750 for it. :o

I prefer Kodak point and shoot style cameras; decent pics, large MP, no wait for the shot, and cheap to replace.

Wow, thank you everyone for your suggestions and pictures. It's always helpful to hear ideas and thoughts from those of you that own the Fuji or 6000 or another Olympus brand.

FantasyLineAddict--LOVE your photos. I am really leaning towards the Fuji--I like the price and it is small and compact.

Paul--I always read your reviews and photos. Great job. Thanks for posting. I also have a Kodak P&S but want something that I can take to the beach w/o worrying about it getting wet.

Thanks again everyone! I will post back and let everyone know my decision. I want to get it by next weekend so I can play with it in the pool.:D

FantasyLineAddict--LOVE your photos. I am really leaning towards the Fuji--I like the price and it is small and compact.

Thanks! They were taken by my 13 year old son with no patience so that says something lol

I am one of those people who would rather pay less and not feel bad if it breaks or gets lost. I have a slim Fuji that is 2 years old and it consistently takes good pictures, not fantastic, but the color is accurate. I like it because the lens stays flat instead of popping out.

My son wanted to take underwater pictures and we considered doing disposable, but he really wanted to do video too. The underwater video is really good, but we did buy a 16 gb high speed SD card at Sam's Club for $39.99 too just for that purpose.

Lisichka--I've seen those reviews. I know the Fuji didn't come out on top but from the few folks here that have it they seem to really like and it takes good photos.

For the $100 difference, I like the Fuji.

Archived