CCL leaves family over medical issue

jleq

I tend not to have a whole lot of sympathy for people who fail to protect themselves with travel insurance. However, in this case, it is very clear that Carnival was in the wrong and needs to reimburse these folks and give them another cruise. Come on CCL, step up to the plate!

I disagree. A medical professional would not clear her to re-join the ship. If this was enough of an issue for them to contact their physician at home and not just stick a bandage on it, and to be recommended to another physician in a foreign port for further care, then I think Carnival was within their rights to deny boarding. If we, as passengers (and not necessarily you in particular) expect us to be cleared to board based on a doctor's recommendation to the cruiseline, then we also have to expect to be denied boarding by the same method.

That said, I would be suing the living hell out of that doctor for shady and unethical practices.

"...The ship's physician though wanted Judy to see a doctor in the Cayman Islands, where the boat was docked for the second day of the trip."

"He was a visiting doctor from Jamaica. Before he even looked at my wife he says, 'I'm going to keep you here in the hospital weeks, maybe a month.' Now this is after five medical personnel have said a bandage is sufficient," Buschmann said..."

So although the Cayman Islands (from Jamaica) doc is really the one who ordered her to stay there in the hospital, of course it will be all Carnivals fault and they will be expected to compensate. Grrrrr...

Regardless, it is a sad story for that family though. I know first hand it is not cheap to fly from Grand Cayman. <Chanting> Travel insurance, travel insurance, travel insurance.

I disagree. A medical professional would not clear her to re-join the ship. If this was enough of an issue for them to contact their physician at home and not just stick a bandage on it, and to be recommended to another physician in a foreign port for further care, then I think Carnival was within their rights to deny boarding. If we, as passengers (and not necessarily you in particular) expect us to be cleared to board based on a doctor's recommendation to the cruiseline, then we also have to expect to be denied boarding by the same method.

That said, I would be suing the living hell out of that doctor for shady and unethical practices.

But... HER physician said she was fine. And obviously, her physician was right.

"Her cardiologist at JFK hospital told the couple not to worry, to put an ice pack on it and enjoy their trip. The ship's physician though wanted Judy to see a doctor in the Cayman Islands, where the boat was docked for the second day of the trip."

Why would Carnival overrule the physician who treated her?

And, good luck with the lawsuit in a foreign country.

how could you not purchase insurance knowing you are going to be having a surgery (yeah, yeah, procedure) days before sailing? Not smart.

I'm sure they couldn't have predicted being removed from the ship...

however... why on earth did the ship's doctor know she was bleeding if she had already been told by her own doctor that there was nothing to worry about? Obviously she and/or her husband were second guessing whether she was really alright.

I certainly empathize with their position, but I feel that many others would never find themselves in that position by simply taking precautions to prevent it.

:confused: I really don't understand this --- the lady could have simply "refused" to be admitted and walked out of the hospital --------- you can't be hospitalized without your permission --- somebody (family) had to sign

her in -----

Yes, insurance should have been purchased ---- especially traveling with

children ----- unfortunate for all concerned ---- I am sure they will

"rethink" this next time.:(

wow, that really sucks....would they drive their grandchildren in a car that didnt have isurance? I can see being cheap and not getting it if its just you and your spouce....but with the kids involved, and an exhisting medical condition....my god!!! thats a no brainer all day long

I had an idea about the "I keep you in the hospital for weeks" comment...

The doctor may have been telling the couple that if he had been the one to perform the surgery, he would have insisted she stay hospitalized for longer, and not have let her travel so soon after a procedure.

The fact that the doctor was "quoted" using this stereotypical Jamaican pronunciation tells me that the couple either couldn't really understand what he said, or that they doubted his capabilities as a doctor because his English was not what they would hear from their own doctor. At the very least, it is written to present the reader with the image of a less-than articulate doctor, meant to lead the reader to believe that he couldn't possibly be medically competent to render a decision as to the well-being of the woman.

But... HER physician said she was fine. And obviously, her physician was right.

"Her cardiologist at JFK hospital told the couple not to worry, to put an ice pack on it and enjoy their trip. The ship's physician though wanted Judy to see a doctor in the Cayman Islands, where the boat was docked for the second day of the trip."

Why would Carnival overrule the physician who treated her?

If she's already under the care of a physician who gave her a treatment plan, why is Carnival's medical staff involved at all? Her physician was right. If she's followed his advice, she wouldn't be in this situation. But ... for some reason, most likely a decision on *HER PART* ... Carnival's medical staff got involved. I mean, it's not like the ship's doc goes around looking for people who are bleeding on deck to forcibly treat.

And, good luck with the lawsuit in a foreign country.

Grand Cayman is part of the British Commonwealth, with a well-established judicial system. It's not a banana republic. Though they wouldn't get the sort of recompense they would in an American court (and our free-for-all torts laws), some recourse can be had.

Well I would assume she chose to see the ships doctor because she was worried. I do not recall the doctor knocking on my cabin door to randomly give me a physical. So he thought she should get checked out at a hospital at the next port, fair enough.

So now the hospital contacts Carnival and informs them she is not fit to travel. I fail to see how this is CCL's fault. If they did let her on and something happened to her, they would be filing a suit against Carnival. In sue happy America, Carnival played it correctly.

I tend not to have a whole lot of sympathy for people who fail to protect themselves with travel insurance. However, in this case, it is very clear that Carnival was in the wrong and needs to reimburse these folks and give them another cruise. Come on CCL, step up to the plate!

Obviously we don't know the whole story - the news article didn't even get her original procedure right. You don't TREAT a cardiac ablation, you GET an ablation, usually to treat an aberrant electrical pathway.

It sounds like we need to be questioning Carnival about their choice of medical providers. If they hire incompetent doctors (because they work cheap after they're fired from land based medical practices) to work on the ships, then everyone that cruises with them is in danger.

It also sounds like Carnival and the doctor were simply playing CYA, at the expense of the patient.

For whatever reason they contacted the doctor on the ship and he was trying to be causisous (sp) about her problem, It may be that the ice was not helping the bleeding to stop so they went to hi, they don't say why the ships doctor became involved. I would think that the doctor at the hospital wa also trying to be careful about the bleeding.

So since the couple are the ones who did not buy insurance they unfortunatle are the ones responsible for the costs involved.

Neither of us have any medical problems but alwasy buy insurance just in case. It is a lot cheapper that the cost involved if something does happen.

Now if the bleeding had happenned becouse of some problem on the ship it would another story but incisions can bleed if not throughly heeled.

Sad for them but hardly Carnival's fault

if she is that unwell, why not get insurance?? getting that procedure done a day before the cruise sounds really stupid especially knowing they didn't have insurance

what if she had not gone to the doctor/hospital and bled to death ? then they would sue Carnival over that??

Carnival has to draw the line somewhere...people need to buy insurance or else just realize that their "emergency" is their own problem

I feel very bad that they could not enjoy their trip. Especially for the grandchildren. But as above posters said, how did Carnival doc know she had a problem. She obviously went to see them. I do not think carnival was wrong in what they did. They have to cover their own butts, in regards to the health of the passengers. Carnival is also right, in that they should have bought travel ins. I never use to buy it when I first started cruising. Now I always buy it, because you never know what may happen, like in their case. If she was truly ok, they would have still been on that ship and not in the hospital. But for some reason, they must have went to Carnival docs. Carnival wanted to make sure she was ok, that's why they sent her to the hospital on the island. God forbid, something happened and she wasn't ok, then Carnival would be responsible for letting her stay on the ship.

Either way, it is unfortunate that they did not get to enjoy their trip. If I were them, I would be upset, too. But I don't think Carnival is in the wrong in this instance.

Just MHO.:)

I feel very bad that they could not enjoy their trip. Especially for the grandchildren. But as above posters said, how did Carnival doc know she had a problem. She obviously went to see them. I do not think carnival was wrong in what they did. They have to cover their own butts, in regards to the health of the passengers. Carnival is also right, in that they should have bought travel ins. I never use to buy it when I first started cruising. Now I always buy it, because you never know what may happen, like in their case. If she was truly ok, they would have still been on that ship and not in the hospital. But for some reason, they must have went to Carnival docs. Carnival wanted to make sure she was ok, that's why they sent her to the hospital on the island. God forbid, something happened and she wasn't ok, then Carnival would be responsible for letting her stay on the ship.

Either way, it is unfortunate that they did not get to enjoy their trip. If I were them, I would be upset, too. But I don't think Carnival is in the wrong in this instance.

Just MHO.:)

Not only that ... she had a CARDIAC PROCEDURE the day before sailing. Now, I'm no doctor, but my father's been cath'ed a good dozen or so times since he's had his heart attack and he would *never* go out of the country or away from his docs after someone had been routing around in his heart. Is it an over-abundance of caution? Probably. But better safe than sorry.

NJ Cruiser...I so agree

and just think...IF she cruised on and kept bleeding or had a set back, they might have had to medvac her out of there, or reroute the ship

I have seen that on cruises...just think how the family would have sued then

Carnival did the right thing : CYA

That's the way it goes. AND, that's why travel insurance is a necessity.

The shipboard medical facilities are NOT equipped to handle things like this...and they were right to put them off the ship into the hands of competent, well equipped medical facilities.

As for the comment supposedly made by the doctor, I don't buy it at all. Cayman isn't a third world country...it is a very wealthy island with some of the best medical facilities and doctors around. If this was said, it was said in jest...

Look at it this way....if they had been permitted to reboard and the woman threw a bloodclot and died, Carnival would be sued.

Anyone with any sort of medical condition who choses to decline travel insurance is asking for trouble...period.

Here's what I don't get ... if she's been in touch with the doctor who did the surgery and he's told her how to treat the situation, why is Carnival's medical staff involved?

HER physician wasn't there.

He recommended ice packs......those are in the medical facilities.

The ship's doctor is doing what he's supposed to do; making sure she sees a physician ashore where they have the medical facilities to handle these types of situations.... The ship doesn't.

As for why Carnival's medical staff was involved? Who do you think would be sued if the woman stayed on board and her medical condition deteriorated or she had a stroke, etc.?

Bleeding from a femoral incision weeks after a procedure is not normal and is life threatening. Carnival was right to deny boarding.

A cardiac ablation is a procedure to correct a fast heart beat that literally involves burning holes in the hearts electrical system. It's amusing that it is referred to as ' to correct a minor cardiac ablation.'

If Carnival's medical department had not been contacted, they would not be responsible; since they were, they are. The 'JFK' doc that allowed them to travel and also cleared them after being notified of complications is practicing an odd type of medicine that I am sure his insurance carrier would not approve of.

The story reeks of sensationalism.

:confused: I really don't understand this --- the lady could have simply "refused" to be admitted and walked out of the hospital --------- you can't be hospitalized without your permission --- somebody (family) had to sign

her in -----

This is true in the US but may not be in other places. I don't know about the Grand Caymans. But, this may not have been an option.

He recommended ice packs......those are in the medical facilities.

G'ma,

Ice is OK for swelling in some cases, it won't help much with arterial bleeds. This lady needed pressure dressings along with direct pressure.

Archived