Coral Breeze - shark ray alley / Caye Caulker review

nc_cruiser1

Took this tour with family on 12/21. It was one of the highlights of our cruise. One word of caution, though: When you reach the snorkeling site, they split you up into two groups - one for experienced snorkelers and one for newbies. Having snorkeled numerous times, I went with the experienced group. I am an experienced snorkeler and in reasonabily good shape, but I am not a real strong swimmer. You have to follow along in a line, because the reefs are very shallow in places. Well, it was low tide when we were there. Some of the reefs were above the water. We had to swim for about 45 minutes, much of it against a fairly strong current, waves crashing against the reefs. All this while you are trying to keep up in single file with the group.

I just could not keep up at the end - too exhausted! I ended up with some pretty good scrapes and cuts on my leg, trying to swim in the strong current in about a foot of water. It was beautiful, though. Lots of different coral, plants and fish. The water was clear and a comfortable 80 degrees.

DW went with the newbie group, and raved about all the great stuff she saw, and how good her guide was.

Anyway, back at Caye Caulker we enjoyed a nice lunch of fish, chicken, rice and beans. Punch was provided and you can purchase beer at the restaurant right there.

Caye Caulker is a real interesting place. We rented an electric golf cart ($10/hr) and explored most of its dirt roads. Along the way, a few of the local kids decided to hop on.

We returned the golf cart and spent the remaining time on the beach. They returned us to port in plenty of time. Be prepared to spend abour 2 hours total on boats (including the ship tenders). They provide a lot of interesting information about Belize as you travel.

I would definitely recommend this tour if you like to snorkel.

• 3 months later...

Archived