Travel Insurance question

We booked our own flight from Seattle to Los Angeles for our cruise in April. 3 of the 4 tickets were paid for using frequent flyer miles. When I calculate the cost of our trip, for travel insurance purposes, do I use what I would have paid for the tickets (since the tickets are non-refundable) or can I only use the actual cost of the 1 ticket, plus the service charge on the FF tickets?

Personally, I'd want the insurance company to answer that question for me... just to ensure coverage and protection. It may depend on the insurance company. I'm sure they've been asked that before. But, maybe someone on the board has the answer & we'll see it posted soon. :)

We booked our own flight from Seattle to Los Angeles for our cruise in April. 3 of the 4 tickets were paid for using frequent flyer miles. When I calculate the cost of our trip, for travel insurance purposes, do I use what I would have paid for the tickets (since the tickets are non-refundable) or can I only use the actual cost of the 1 ticket, plus the service charge on the FF tickets?

None of the major insurers will let you assign a dollar value to travel arrangements obtained through FF miles, awards points, vouchers, or any other non-monetary means.

You do have the option of insuring any fees the FF program may charge you to have the miles credited back to your account in the case of a cancellation as that would be an actual out-of-pocket expense to you.

Many cruisers who are using FF miles to get to the pier make the mistake of only insuring the travel dates of the cruise since they're not insuring the air tickets. Regardless of whether you're insuring any value of the air tickets you should insure the dates that you're flying to make sure you're covered by the other benefits of the policy.

Archived