Airline can get me a flight arriving at 12:09, if want to change to day before $100pp

LastofSeptember

Ugh! I am so frustrated, I wish I would have just booked the air w/ the cruise and saved myself this stress. I booked these flights MONTHS ago, so of course now they're getting changed, I called and asked if we could fly in the day before since I was nervous about cutting it close and they said sure, for $100 pp + the fare difference. I understand that this is the normal fee, but I don't know if there is any way around this.

1. Have you ever gotten the airline to wave the exchange penalty fees?

2. Is 12:09 cutting it close to get to the ship on time?

3. Am I am a complete idiot?

4. Your remarks here.

Airline won't change without the fee. Ask this military wife who was trying to get her husband home for Christmas last year and his date was changed by command and we ended up with a $150 fee to move it to the next day. Nice huh? No excuse, no reason, no nothing will get them to waive that fee.

Good luck!

Where are you cruising out of? That will make a big difference. If you don't have a long trip to the airport, you will probably be okay... I have had to change many flights for many reasons, and of the 30 or so times I have had to do it, they have never waived the fee...

Like the above poster mentioned, if the airline changes the time they wont charge you.

I am not quite sure what the issue is. IS your flight time getting in too late???? If it is a direct flight I wouldnt worry about it. We fly from New england in Feb so we go down day before. We have flown down same day and gotten in around 1 and been fine with layovers. However that was in summer....

If your cruise isnt for awhile keep checking your flight times. Mine have changed several times and my return flight has changed times again this week. I keep hoping the times will be earlier not later.

:D

As a former airline employee, if the airline changed the schedule, they will waive the fees to change--now the change has to be at least a couple of hours--not just 20 or 30 min.

We would let people change to the day before with no charge----

call back and if you still get "no" ask to speak to a supervisor or customer service---

good luck!

I tried doing the same thing. They will not budge. My flight has changed several times, but only by a few minutes. It has to be a significant change ,by them, in your flights before they will let you change without a fee.:(

I believe that it's more than 90 minutes or 2 hours before they'll change it without the fee (then they HAVE to change it to the flight you request, I beleive) I found this out whenthey changed my Mother 0in-laws flight home from FL. She has no car, so she and her best friend arrive and leave FL the same day, and book flights close in times (they go to different airports) Last year they changed her flight from 11 am tho 4:30, with TWO connections. Shes 78 years aold and called me all stressed out! I went on line and found a flight that left at 10:30, that was a direct flight. The problem??? It was $780.00 instead of $162.00,so they didn't want to book her on it. It took some research on my part (they claimed it was booked, but when I went on Delta's own website, it was available), but well worth it.

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Ask them about flying standby the day before. Usually airlines will allow you to take an earlier flight (not sure about a day earlier) and not charge a fee. Of course you're not going to know until you get to the airport so you will be winging it as far a hotel if you are able to get an earlier flight.

I have had the airline change the flight times on me in the past and I think I would have missed the boat, I explained the situation and was open to flying out at ANY time on the day before, any time at all, well, I got a crappy flight, got into Miami at about 2am, but it was still the day before and I enjoyed the whole cruise with no fee. If they changed the flight times, they should have to do something for you. Just a tip, next time when booking your own flight, book a day early to aviod problems like this. I hate to book with the ship, only because I feel like a part of the herd with the shuttles from the airport etc, and it ruins my day, so I book a day early, and sleep in at whatever hotel I am at, and try to get on the ship fairly early to enjoy the whole trip. Good luck to you.

Kelly :)

THEY changed the time? Absolutely they should waive the fee, in fact, we had this happen to us last year when we were booked on an American Flight, they called 2 weeks prior to leaving to tell us they were changing the flight time and making it 2 hours earlier, and would we accept $250 vouchers for the inconvenience (we did, and used them for our next cruise!). They gave the vouchers to all 6 of us for a total of $1500 credit when they changed our flight time!

THEY changed the time?

I'm confused also - but believe that the OP wants to change the date to arrive the day earlier because they are concerned about the time they will arrive on the day of the cruise - not that the airline wants to change them. Maybe we can get clarification.

I personally can't imagine any arrival in any city would be a problem at 1209 PM..!! I'm thinking the OP may have decided a day earlier may have been a better choice, but now has a 1209 same-day. This should not be a problem..!

I had a minor schedule change by the airline, and would have opted for a 'day before' scenario, but the $100. pp change fee was extremely prohibitive.. The change the airline made was only a few minutes.. I responded to a very similar post a month or so ago, and the OP really did want a 'day before' choice with the small change by the airline.. I really don't think they'll do that, unless it benefits the airline in some way.. ;)

1209 arrival.. they'll be on the Lido having lunch by 2 PM!! :D

If you think weather will be a factor ( but you have to wait until almost the last minute, the airline may let you get out early if weather is going to turn their flight schedules all upside down. a few years ago we had a group flying out of Cinn, OH and the were about to get hammered with snow, I called the airline and explained and they said if seat were available we could go 1 or 2 days early. Most of the couples took advantage of this. I must say though this was pre 9/11.

Archived