? Re: Altun Ha Ruins tour

cruisingbajan

Hi Guys,

I have booked the above your via Island Marketing, I know there is a difference in the time, I believe ship time will be 2 hours ahead of local time when we sail in April.My confirmation states my tour guides will be ready to start the tour whatever time we get onshore.

Has anyone out there done this tour? What time did you get off your tender? Were the guides waiting? Did the tour start officially once you met up with them? Did you get back to the ship with time to spare?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

Hi Guys,

I have booked the above your via Island Marketing, I know there is a difference in the time, I believe ship time will be 2 hours ahead of local time when we sail in April.My confirmation states my tour guides will be ready to start the tour whatever time we get onshore.

Has anyone out there done this tour? What time did you get off your tender? Were the guides waiting? Did the tour start officially once you met up with them? Did you get back to the ship with time to spare?:confused:

Thanks in advance.

I can kinda answer your question. We had a ship excursion thorugh our ship booked and it was cancelled so we just found a local tour operator and booked a private van with a driver. He drove us to Altun Ha ruins and got us back in plenty of time. The drive out there is long but Manny our tour guide told us everything he knew about Belize. We got to the ruins before any tour buses so we were able to take pictures before people were all over the ruins. He walked us through the rainforest telling us about all the plants and animals, it was a wonderful tour. On our way back to town we even had time to stop at his daughters pre school to give them some school supplies we brought with us to give to the children. When he got us back to town we had time to shop and relax before we got back on the tender. We were on one of the first tenders which I would suggest you do so you can get to the ruins and have time to enjoy them.

Is it customary to bring supplies/gifts like that? I know at a lot of the all inclusive resorts in the islands it is nice to do so but how often does the opportunity present itself and how do you know who to give it to?

I can kinda answer your question. We had a ship excursion thorugh our ship booked and it was cancelled so we just found a local tour operator and booked a private van with a driver. He drove us to Altun Ha ruins and got us back in plenty of time. The drive out there is long but Manny our tour guide told us everything he knew about Belize. We got to the ruins before any tour buses so we were able to take pictures before people were all over the ruins. He walked us through the rainforest telling us about all the plants and animals, it was a wonderful tour. On our way back to town we even had time to stop at his daughters pre school to give them some school supplies we brought with us to give to the children. When he got us back to town we had time to shop and relax before we got back on the tender. We were on one of the first tenders which I would suggest you do so you can get to the ruins and have time to enjoy them.

Thanks for the response. It certainly does help as it puts my mind somewhat at ease with regards to the timing.

You indicated the drive is about 1-1 1/2 hours. How long did you actually spend at the ruins?

Is it customary to bring supplies/gifts like that? I know at a lot of the all inclusive resorts in the islands it is nice to do so but how often does the opportunity present itself and how do you know who to give it to?

It basically all started for us on our first cruise when we visited Samana. I so regreted not bringing things for the children. So from now on we pack up freezer zip lock bags with a mix of items for children.

Before our cruises I do oodles of research on our ports and decided which stops we will take these gifts to. This also helps me in deciding how many bags to make up. On our last cruise we decided to take the bags to Belize and Roatan. In Roatan we rented a car and drove all over the island. When we got to the other side of the island we saw a very poor village where they houses were made of tarps, blankets and sheet metal. There were children digging in the sand on the beach and you could tell they had very little. We started handing out the bags to the children and it was such an amazing experience. They were thrilled and over joyed. Our DS who was 12 at the time helped me put the bags together and hand them out. It was an experience that will stay with him for a very long time. In Belize we pretty much winged it. I listened to our tour guide tell us about his hometown, his family and their culture. After our private tour of the ruins with him I told him about our bags of goodies and he was so excited to take us to his daughters school to hand them out. We met the teacher, his daughter, his wife and a few of the children. The teacher made sure to hand out something to every child in their small school house.

Our next cruise is in November 2010 and we are already starting to gather items for the bags we hand out :D.

I also want to share with you a story about a small business owner. I was in her shop buying items for the bags. I had around 20 large bouncing balls, toy bags with safari animals and tons of crayons & notepads. She asked what I was doing and I explained to her. She was so touched she gave me a whole bag full of other toys and school supplies to add to my bags at no charge. It was such a nice gesture, with the donated items I was able to make several more bags to hand out to the kids. :D

Thanks for the response. It certainly does help as it puts my mind somewhat at ease with regards to the timing.

You indicated the drive is about 1-1 1/2 hours. How long did you actually spend at the ruins?

I think we were there about an hour and half. Sorry I can't remember for sure. Make sure you save some time at the end of the tour to stop at the little shops to check out the beautiful wood carvings.

Jollycruiser... Thanks for the info.

I must add that you are a very caring and generous person to take time out from your cruise and indeed to purchase these gifts for these need children.

You are a perfect example of the good people we have in this world. God Bless you and your family.

Jollycruiser... Thanks for the info.

I must add that you are a very caring and generous person to take time out from your cruise and indeed to purchase these gifts for these need children.

You are a perfect example of the good people we have in this world. God Bless you and your family.

Thank you so much! That just made my night :)

Archived