Tex-Mex on Gem vs. Star

Firemaker

OP.. would you be offended if I answered your question by saying "GOD I HOPE NOT".. lol. This particular subject always cracks me up because I am not for sure what they serve in Endless Summer, but please let me assure you that as a Texas who loves TexMex food, what they serve is not TexMex. At least when we sailed on the Star Nov 2007. We didn't try it again May 2008 on the Star, so it could have changed, but I knew we were in trouble when we sat down and they brought us a bowl of Tostitos and bottled sausa. Don't get me wrong, I am not so demanding that I think they would make their chips and salsa fresh like we are used to here in Texas, but I was just stunned by the Tostitos and bottled sausa.. hehehehe..

No offense to anyone who likes Endless Summer, but I went expecting TexMex and still am not for sure what it was. 8-)

OP.. would you be offended if I answered your question by saying "GOD I HOPE NOT".. lol. This particular subject always cracks me up because I am not for sure what they serve in Endless Summer, but please let me assure you that as a Texas who loves TexMex food, what they serve is not TexMex. At least when we sailed on the Star Nov 2007. We didn't try it again May 2008 on the Star, so it could have changed, but I knew we were in trouble when we sat down and they brought us a bowl of Tostitos and bottled sausa. Don't get me wrong, I am not so demanding that I think they would make their chips and salsa fresh like we are used to here in Texas, but I was just stunned by the Tostitos and bottled sausa.. hehehehe..

No offense to anyone who likes Endless Summer, but I went expecting TexMex and still am not for sure what it was. 8-)

Not offended at all!

In fact, the only reason I asked the question is because we were so disappointed with Endless Summer when we were on the Star in April.

It seemed as if everyone RAVED about the lobster tacos, so we ordered them. Big mistake! A lobster mixture was put inside a taco bell type taco shell...you know...a PACKAGED type shell:( Yuck!

They did make their own fresh guacamole, however my DH is allergic to onions, so we asked for some without...it took awhile, but they brought some more and it was yummy even with the tostitos:p

So on the Gem we are getting a coupon book that has a coupon for a free meal at the TEX MEX restaurant...still wondering if the food is the same or not! I guess we will give the coupon away if someone really wants it:D

I for sure will try them again, I just won't go at it with the mind set that it is TexMex. Someone was describing a dish they had recently in Endless Summer where it was like meat roasted on these big metal rods, etc, like of like some restaurants do here in Dallas... Brazilian I believe is the style.. anyway the pics of it looked good and for sure something I want to try.

I had to laugh when I read your post. We are from AZ. When we were on the Star we ate in Endless Summer. I didn't think the food was bad - in fact I enjoyed the dinner - Not TexMex but not bad - until we got to the Flan. My husband told the waitress he hoped the flan was good because I (his wife) really liked good flan. She assured us it was good. When it came it was some kind of custard with no kidding, butterscotch icecream topping. When she came back she asked me how I liked it. I told her it was o.k. it just wasn't flan. She said "Madam it is. This is authentic Mexican flan." I said O.K.:rolleyes: We live not 45 miles from the border and I know my flan. No point in arguing with someone from the Phillipines about flan. We have laughed about it every time I order flan since. We enjoyed every part of that cruise - even the FLAN:D

I had to laugh when I read your post. We are from AZ. When we were on the Star we ate in Endless Summer. I didn't think the food was bad - in fact I enjoyed the dinner - Not TexMex but not bad - until we got to the Flan. My husband told the waitress he hoped the flan was good because I (his wife) really liked good flan. She assured us it was good. When it came it was some kind of custard with no kidding, butterscotch icecream topping. When she came back she asked me how I liked it. I told her it was o.k. it just wasn't flan. She said "Madam it is. This is authentic Mexican flan." I said O.K.:rolleyes: We live not 45 miles from the border and I know my flan. No point in arguing with someone from the Phillipines about flan. We have laughed about it every time I order flan since. We enjoyed every part of that cruise - even the FLAN:D

We feel the same way about the Italian restaurant on the NCL ships. We enjoy it but being from New York we have so many Italian restaurants that the NCL ships are no comparison. We enjoy the food but we never compare it to REAL Italian food.

Jeanne:D

I for sure will try them again, I just won't go at it with the mind set that it is TexMex. Someone was describing a dish they had recently in Endless Summer where it was like meat roasted on these big metal rods, etc, like of like some restaurants do here in Dallas... Brazilian I believe is the style.. anyway the pics of it looked good and for sure something I want to try.

I think this is called "Il Popo" or something like that. A group of four of us tried it and a couple of other dishes in the Spanish/Mexican/insert-country-name-here restaurant on the Gem last November. It was fun and interesting. I seem to remember lobster tacos, too, which I enjoyed, but I can't remember the "construction." I mean, I like fish tacos, so lobster tacos were OK, too!

--Michael

Archived