mosquitos in Acapulco, Zihuatanejo or Manzanillo?

jones391

There are definitely mosquitos in Manzanillo! Worse now in the summer but they will be around in March as well. Even more bothersome are the no-see-ums, they leave me with huge red welts and itch like crazy.

Our repellents in the US don't seem to work well on these tropical bugs so I would recommend going to a pharmacy or Wal Mart on your first stop and getting some Autan. It comes in spray and lotion, the spray is more potent but you will want to use it outside. I usually use the lotion just because I can't handle the fumes from the spray. http://www.autan.com/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=168

AutanProtection.jpg

It would also be a good idea to get some After Bite, just in case!

Does any one know if there are mosquitos in Acapulco, Zihuatanejo or Manzanillo?

We are going at the end of March, 2010 and want to know if we need to take repellent.

We were in those 3 ports in March of this year and had no problems with mosquitos or any bugs, but we didn't go into any jungle areas and were in the city/town areas. If you are doing any kind of excursion away from the beach/city, then you might need some repellant.

The government of Mexico actually go door to door in business and residential areas and will fog your yard, garden and where you request for free. Usually 2 times a month.

They leave pellets that will prevent mosquitos from breeding in your water tanks. All of this mosquito prevention / control is 100% gratis for the countries citizens. It is a good program.

Any commercial mosquito spray with DEET will keep the llittle vampires away from you.. but unless you are in an untreated area - you will not experience a real problem with mosquitos..

The government of Mexico actually go door to door in business and residential areas and will fog your yard, garden and where you request for free. Usually 2 times a month.

I had a nice laugh after reading these comments. Not true, at least not in Acapulco as far as I know. Yes, mosquitos can be a problem along the Pacific Coast but March is pre-rainy season and unless you're around an area where there's standing water (old discarded tires, as one example) March may be one of the lesser problem months . . . I'm thinking.

DEET is a good repellant. Stay clear of the Avon product . . . not well tested by Consumer Reports or other agencies doing that work.

They leave pellets that will prevent mosquitos from breeding in your water tanks. All of this mosquito prevention / control is 100% gratis for the countries citizens. It is a good program.

Any commercial mosquito spray with DEET will keep the llittle vampires away from you.. but unless you are in an untreated area - you will not experience a real problem with mosquitos..

I need to clarify my statements.

The Govenrnment will spray your yard and garden every 2 months for 100 pesos (less than $10 US.)

They go door to door every 6 months and provide the service for free.

Trucks are constantly fogging the streets of Acapulco as this is part of the ongoing process to prevent the spread of Dengue Fever. You can read more by clicking the bold text below.

Dengue fever

Archived