age of filter

Radelle

I've been reading these posts and gotten some great suggestions. I have a Nikon D80 with a 28-105 zoom lens from my previous N80. I've been thinking about replacing it but not sure with what and it's adequate for now. Took some nice photos in Europe but that was mainly landscape and architecture. Going soon to Canada and then to Alaska.

My question is about the Hoya UV filter that's sat on it for about 10 years now. Do filters get old? It may get scratches and I've tried to keep it clean but does it lose some it's protection over the years?

Thanks for your help

I've been reading these posts and gotten some great suggestions. I have a Nikon D80 with a 28-105 zoom lens from my previous N80. I've been thinking about replacing it but not sure with what and it's adequate for now. Took some nice photos in Europe but that was mainly landscape and architecture. Going soon to Canada and then to Alaska.

My question is about the Hoya UV filter that's sat on it for about 10 years now. Do filters get old? It may get scratches and I've tried to keep it clean but does it lose some it's protection over the years?

Thanks for your help

The first victim is the anti-reflective coating. Cleaning it over the years can wear away this coating and can cause an increase in the chance of flare if a bright light source is in the image. Other than that, the filter itself is still young at 10 years. I have some colored filters for B&W photography from the mid-70s that are still fine.

If you're unsure, go ahead and spend the $40 or so for a good replacement. The only reason I can think of not to is if you plan to replace the lens soon and its replacement may not take the same filter.

Dave

Coatings can be "cleaned" or rubbed off but it takes a lot of cleaning and abrasion. Do you see any scratches or imperfections? If it looks good I say use it.

Thanks for your response. I'm glad to read that I need to just look for scratches or imperfections. I don't notice any, however I am noticing that the filter is harder to clean. I used to be able to clean it with the lens cleaners I had. Lately I find that my old cleaning tools no longer worked well. I then ordered some new cleaning cloths and I still couldn't get it completely clean. So I guess my question sort of included that part. There just seem to be lots more specks on my photos than there used to be.

The first victim is the anti-reflective coating. Cleaning it over the years can wear away this coating and can cause an increase in the chance of flare if a bright light source is in the image. Other than that, the filter itself is still young at 10 years. I have some colored filters for B&W photography from the mid-70s that are still fine.

If you're unsure, go ahead and spend the $40 or so for a good replacement. The only reason I can think of not to is if you plan to replace the lens soon and its replacement may not take the same filter.

Dave

Thanks for your response. I guess I need to begin thinking about getting the new lens sooner than I thought.

There just seem to be lots more specks on my photos than there used to be.

There is seldom a situation that a filter will cause specks to appear in an image. Only with a very short focal-length lens set at a small aperture will dust on a filter be visible. The more likely culprit is dust gathering on your sensor. With film, this wasn't a big issue because we got a new "sensor" with very frame. With digital, dust can accumulate over time and cause spots to appear in the same place on image after image. (Even if you don't change lenses often, dust can be sucked in through the eyepiece or lens mechanism when you zoom the lens quickly). If you are reasonably adept at working with mechanical items, there are excellent resources available for do-it-yourself dust removal. This company has excellent tools:

http://visibledust.com/

Their Sensor Loupe is an excellent tool for inspecting your sensor for dust before and after cleaning.

DO NOT use any form of cleaning agent not specifically intended for cleaning an imaging sensor!

DO NOT use a Q-tip or canned air!

If you use a bulb blower, use one like the Giottos Rocket that has an intake filter to keep you from spraying dust back onto the camera surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Large-Rocket-Blaster/dp/B00017LSPI

If you feel the least bit dodgy about doing cleaning yourself, pay to have it done at a reputable shop. If you're ok with doing it, spend the money to get the right tools. They will pay for themselves in the long run.

Dave

There is seldom a situation that a filter will cause specks to appear in an image. Only with a very short focal-length lens set at a small aperture will dust on a filter be visible. The more likely culprit is dust gathering on your sensor. With film, this wasn't a big issue because we got a new "sensor" with very frame. With digital, dust can accumulate over time and cause spots to appear in the same place on image after image. (Even if you don't change lenses often, dust can be sucked in through the eyepiece or lens mechanism when you zoom the lens quickly). If you are reasonably adept at working with mechanical items, there are excellent resources available for do-it-yourself dust removal. This company has excellent tools:

http://visibledust.com/

Their Sensor Loupe is an excellent tool for inspecting your sensor for dust before and after cleaning.

DO NOT use any form of cleaning agent not specifically intended for cleaning an imaging sensor!

DO NOT use a Q-tip or canned air!

If you use a bulb blower, use one like the Giottos Rocket that has an intake filter to keep you from spraying dust back onto the camera surfaces.

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Large-Rocket-Blaster/dp/B00017LSPI

If you feel the least bit dodgy about doing cleaning yourself, pay to have it done at a reputable shop. If you're ok with doing it, spend the money to get the right tools. They will pay for themselves in the long run.

Dave

Whoa, it didn't occur to me that it might be dust on the sensor cause I had only that one lens and never removed it. Since I saw these specks on long zoom photos (105mm) this is a concern.

I'm not too comfortable accessing the sensor myself, so I guess I better take it in, especially since my next cruise is to Canada in October. Expecting to take lots of photos and don't want anything to mess it up. Fortunately, I know a good one cause of a problem I had with another camera a few years ago.

Thanks for that new frame of reference. I will take it there and get it taken care of.

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer these questions. It is truly appreciated.

Archived