A Splendor to the end of summer-Carnival Splendor August 9th,2009

cruiseaddict05

Thanks for the great review. We've received conflicting info on arrival time in PV. Itinerary says 9am which is 10am PV time. Your review indicates you were there before 8am ship time which would be 9am in PV. The reason it's so important to me is that I would like to book an independent excursion and they all leave by 9:30am local time. Not sure if it's workable or not, so anything you can shed light on would be extremely helpful.

Great info about the gym. I wonder if there are "off" times where it's not so crazy crowded.

Thanks for the great review. We've received conflicting info on arrival time in PV. Itinerary says 9am which is 10am PV time. Your review indicates you were there before 8am ship time which would be 9am in PV. The reason it's so important to me is that I would like to book an independent excursion and they all leave by 9:30am local time. Not sure if it's workable or not, so anything you can shed light on would be extremely helpful.

Great info about the gym. I wonder if there are "off" times where it's not so crazy crowded.

I would be 90% sure that your ind. excursion would be through Puerta Adventures which should know the ship schedule. I would just call and talk to them. Like I said, on our excursion in PV there were people from the ship on the same trip that paid a lot less but still had the "ship" time guarantee. I worried about the time stuff a lot too but learned that most excursion companies thrive off cruise business and have a good handle on time differences. I hope that helps! Good luck!

Just curious, did you check with J&S about booking in PV? It looks like they offer the same excursion as the ship and since you booked through them for something else I wondered why you didn't stick with them for all tours?

Just curious, did you check with J&S about booking in PV? It looks like they offer the same excursion as the ship and since you booked through them for something else I wondered why you didn't stick with them for all tours?

I did look at J&S but we were originally looking at Las Caletas and I think it was only a $7 difference from the ship (and then I read reviews about jellyfish and did not want to drop $140 and not be able to swim...). It was kind of the same deal with Matzalan, the price was not as much as a savings as we got. That being said, I have only heard good things about them, I am sure they will take good care of you:) plus you won't be as likely to get the crowded ship excursions. I am actually wondering if they operate in the Carribbean to prepare for our next cruise...

Thank you for the review! I'm sailing Sept. 20th on a honeymoon cruise, can't wait! Just a couple of quick Q's about the gym: did you try the gym at any other times than the morning? How early did you go? Was the track packed at all? You mentioned the jellyfish, are they bad right now, did they advise you to stay out of the ocean? Did you know anyone that tried any of the all-inclusive day resorts? Wow more Q's than I had anticipated! Sorry. Thank you again! :D

Thank you for the review! I'm sailing Sept. 20th on a honeymoon cruise, can't wait! Just a couple of quick Q's about the gym: did you try the gym at any other times than the morning? How early did you go? Was the track packed at all? You mentioned the jellyfish, are they bad right now, did they advise you to stay out of the ocean? Did you know anyone that tried any of the all-inclusive day resorts? Wow more Q's than I had anticipated! Sorry. Thank you again! :D

Re: Gym - We only went at 2ish I think, so I guess we never tried early in the morning... someone said they went at 6 and did not have a problem.

Re:Track - If you go in the afternoon or when people are playing sports you may run into some onlookers in the way but it really was not that packed.

Re:Jellyfish- As I said in our PV excursion we were warned and most of us took of the wetsuits, that being said I think I may have gotten hit a couple of times but nothing to wreck my day.

Re:resorts- ran into someone in the hot tub who did all day resorts and loved it, I don't have many details on how they got there though...

I hope that helps! Happy Honeymoon!

To all that requested pics- I am working on it, I did not realize what a chore it was so now I really appreciate the reviews with pics:D

I am thinking(hoping) to go on the Splendor in November and am contemplating a night before in a hotel near the port. I also am looking trying to see if any of the hotels have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal but so far have not come up with any either. So with the Crowne plaza you mentioned that it was $5 per person for their shuttle. Did you book this just the day you arrived at the hotel and there was no problem getting on it? Also for your embarkation time was there many there when you arrived at 10:45am? Was 1pm the official start time for boarding, or had others boarded before you. With the pre-check-in is that when you give them your documents/show them your passports and that type stuff, and so then at 1 you just walked on? Thanks! And thanks for your review, its always great when theres so much detail

I am thinking(hoping) to go on the Splendor in November and am contemplating a night before in a hotel near the port. I also am looking trying to see if any of the hotels have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal but so far have not come up with any either. So with the Crowne plaza you mentioned that it was $5 per person for their shuttle. Did you book this just the day you arrived at the hotel and there was no problem getting on it? Also for your embarkation time was there many there when you arrived at 10:45am? Was 1pm the official start time for boarding, or had others boarded before you. With the pre-check-in is that when you give them your documents/show them your passports and that type stuff, and so then at 1 you just walked on? Thanks! And thanks for your review, its always great when theres so much detail

Shuttle- At the Crowne in San Pedro we had absolutely no problem getting on the shuttle (that was $5 pp but well worth it) as most RC cruisers stay there as their port is just across the street. If you want a free shuttle you should try to stay in Long Beach.

Boarding- Basically we just checked in our documents and stuff so when we did walk into the terminal we just had to wait in some lines (which they moved very smoothly), double checked IDs and Sail and Signs and we were on. So I guess we did not walk right on, but that is how it always is. It was actually nicer than in Miami because you could walk around where in Miami you are kind of stuck in the terminal as there is nothing to do.

We renewed our vows (15 years) 2 years ago on a cruise ship (my only non-Carnival cruise) and it was the most special day since the actual wedding day. I highly recommend!

I really appreciate that feedback because most people think we are crazy for renewing so early (5 years):) I am glad to hear that it was a special day for you!

THE EXCURSION: We booked online through Johann and Sandra, it was called the Ultimate Beach Experience I think. It was operated by Ocean Riders though so I am not sure if they sub contract with J and S or not. This shore excursion was unique and not offered through the ship.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/OceanRiders.htm We got on this speed boat that we had to sit on these seats almost like horses. DH and I were at the front so our backs were feeling it for a bit! We had to stuff all of our stuff under our seats in a water proof locker which is why we could not buy too much;( Our first stop was at Lover's Beach (and Divorce beach) which was very cool... we basically had to jump off like Navy Seals and swim in to the beach. We were there for about 20 minutes and the tour guide (I forgot her name) was really good at taking pictures! We got back onto the boat and saw sea lions and toured the famous arch... very cool!

Our next stop was a 20 minute speed ride and a couple back breaks to Santa Maria Cove where the snorkeling was amazing! Best ever and sooo many fish! About 40 min later and drink of water we were off to another beach, Chileno where DH and I skipped snorkeling and swam to shore. Funny small world story, as we were sitting in the waves I saw our friends from the day before on a different excursion! The excursion was supposed to include a lunch at Medano beach but we had to miss that so we did not miss our ship;( It turned out okay because we still had time to shop and look around although we did not buy anything. We did stop at a restaraunt/bar along the marina and do a 2 for 1 rattlesnake tequila shot. Yes, there was a rattlesnake in the tequila. It was DHs first ever and he said he tasted an amphibian after taste... to that I said, "how would you know?" I thought it went down well and had a happy walk back to the forever long tender line.

The last tender was supposed to be at 2 pm but the line was still 5 blocks long at 1:50 so I doubt that happened. If we would have known we so could have had a "free" lunch that we had paid for on our excursion. That being said, I would not push the tender warning... you don't want to miss the ship;)

We were back on the ship by 2:30

I contacted this company about doing this excursion on my cruise in a couple of weeks. They said that because the Splendor leaves Cabo so early, it would cut it too close to do that tour. When you booked it, did they not realize you were on the Splendor and what time you were leaving? I'm confused...

Thanks for all the great info!

I contacted this company about doing this excursion on my cruise in a couple of weeks. They said that because the Splendor leaves Cabo so early, it would cut it too close to do that tour. When you booked it, did they not realize you were on the Splendor and what time you were leaving? I'm confused...

Thanks for all the great info!

Drew_B - That is interesting. I actually did call to make sure it would work as I am a worry wart to all extremes! They told me not to worry and that they would get me to the dock on time. This did involve missing the last beach stop which is basically lunch (and a busy beach) which was okay because it was a very fun and unique excursion. My guess is either they changed the time of the excursion to better fit the land based vacationers or they feel it is not fair to the cruisers to miss the last leg. DH and I were not the only cruisers on the excursion (there was a family of 4) that were fine with heading back early. Good luck with your excursion hunting! To be honest our friends took a water taxi for $12 pp that took them to Lover's Beach and even carried their bags to the water for them. They waited for them (i think they stayed for at least 45 minutes) and then brought them to Medano Beach where to chilled out and told the water taxi what time they wanted to be picked up. I hope this helps!

IMG_3403.JPG

The Famous Arches near Lover's Beach

IMG_3394.JPG

This was the sand mid way between Lover's and Divorce Beach... it was very coarse

IMG_3376.JPG

The Marina in Cabo...

IMG_3378.JPG

DH on our speedboat.. you can kind of see the way we had to sit

IMG_3390.JPG

The waves at Divorce Beach... and my attempt at "surfing."

IMG_3338.jpg.6706e49c791d2470b54bdadb4a44d679.jpg

Yes this is great. We are cruising on 9/20 for the first time and excited to learn as much as we can before hand.

I too would like to know what and where the secret place is. Is there a glossary somewhere where I can translate all of your anbbreviations like DOD?

Yes this is great. We are cruising on 9/20 for the first time and excited to learn as much as we can before hand.

I too would like to know what and where the secret place is. Is there a glossary somewhere where I can translate all of your anbbreviations like DOD?

The "secret place" is the area in front of the ship that a lot of people either don't know about or just don't go. There are doors at the very front of most of the upper decks at the end of the hallway that bring you to a small area that is generally really quiet and not crowded. We go there for sailaway.

DOD is Drink of the Day...

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank You for taking time to write this review, very good! Wondering what time the shuttle picked you up at port? Was it 9:30 or the original 10:45? Our flight leaves at 12:45 P.M., I know it will be close, but it's either that or the 4:45 P.M. flight.

Thank you for the review.... it was great... lots of details and interesting information.

Did you have a chocolate fondue or buffet while you were on board? If so what day or night was it?

Do they offer the behind the scenes tour?

Thanking you in advance for any information.

Ann :)

Thank You for taking time to write this review, very good! Wondering what time the shuttle picked you up at port? Was it 9:30 or the original 10:45? Our flight leaves at 12:45 P.M., I know it will be close, but it's either that or the 4:45 P.M. flight.

We got on as soon as we debarked, so it was 9:30 I believe:) You are going to want to get off as soon as you can if the security line will be as long as it was for us...

Thank you for the review.... it was great... lots of details and interesting information.

Did you have a chocolate fondue or buffet while you were on board? If so what day or night was it?

Do they offer the behind the scenes tour?

Thanking you in advance for any information.

Ann :)

Ann- There was a chocolate buffet and I believe it was the last day at sea:) It was very cute to watch a couple of 8-9 year olds enjoying it as they had chocolate all over their faces!

I am unsure about the behind the scenes tour... I think there may have been a galley tour but from reading on CC that is the closest to behind the scenes as you are going to get

Archived