11/07/05 Barcelona/Athens

Spartan fans

Hi Spartan fan from a former Boilermaker!

We are going to be on this cruise too. Cruised the Pan Canal and Southern Caribbean this Nov. on Insignia and loved it so have booked this one in the Med. We have been to alot of these ports but loved them so much we wanted to go back. You will LOVE Oceania!

barbarag

• 2 months later...

Glad to see there are others now signing up for this cruise. Do you all know about the free cocktail party Oceania will give us if 20 people sign up for it 14 days before sailing? You need to go to the Yahoogroups.com website and join the Oceania board, then go to the Links section and click on A Shipboard party for members of this message board. You need to provide your name(s), cabin number, date of sailing and ship name. Hopefully, we will get enough because I understand it can be quite a nice function. Our previous Oceania cruise we only had 18 sign up so we didn't get one!

Barbarag

My husband and I are booked on this cruise and have already signed up at yahoogroups. This will be our first time on Oceania and our 20th cruise. We did a Mediterranean cruise with Silverseas in 1997 but the only port that will be a repeat for us is Athens. Would be interested in hearing what excursions you are taking.

Karen

First I would encourage everyone to join the yahoo site as well, because there is alot of information there as well. I answered my own question by looking on the yahoo groups threads......the parties are being discontinued as of July 2005. I say perhaps we organize one of our own closer to our sail date. Too bad.

Here is what the message said

Dear Members,

I regret to inform you that Oceania is discontinuing our parties.

The last party will be held on Insignias 7/22/05 sailing.

I'm sure that you'll all agree that Oceania has been very generous

in accommodating our members for the past two years and will join me

in thanking them for their hospitality.

This does not mean you all cannot arrange your own get togethers,

perhaps we can devise a way for that to happen.

As far as party counts go, I am moving beginning tomorrow

morning...I will post the updated numbers for parties through 7/22

NEXT Monday as I will not have regular computer access after this

evening.

I will try to find a way to check email a couple of times during the

week but cannot make any promises as to response time.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hey you guys,

I felt so bad that I posted the notice about the free parties and then today learned that the same day I posted that note that Laura at Yahoogroups.com posted the notice that they were being cancelled after the 7/22/05 Insignia sailing. As the person above me wrote, we should just plan our own party/get together be it in the Horizons lounge at tea time or whatever just so we can get together. I will say I was very favorably impressed when the president of the line (Frank) answered one of the posts on this site. I was also impressed that the management is listening to one of the major gripes that I have read about, i.e. the cost of wine and are adding some more reasonably priced vintages. Not only Merlot I hope (aka Sideways). Seriously, his involvement is one reason this line is succeeding!

Barbarag

Hi Karen,

Since we have already been to alot of these ports I could give you my opinion on what not to miss as far as shoretrips. We will be trying to do some independent excursions (like in Provence we want to go to Aix, Avignon and Les Baux and Oceania doesn't offer an excursion that does all three so I have the name of someone who will do this tour independently in case you want to join my husband and me). Email me at bgesse@aol.com and I can give you more details about what we liked about various ports. We definitely want to do the Capri trip in Naples but that is the only one I am firm on so far that Oceania offers.

Barbarag

We did the almost identical cruise last year, and did all the ports on our own. We really enjoyed ourselves. Took the train to Rome, a taxi to Pisa, a ferry to Capri, a taxi to Taormina, etc. Would like to do Aix this year, but not sure we want to try to do three cities in one day. If you have not tried Oceania, you will be pleasantly surprised. The food is particularly good and the ship is really beautiful!

Hi Shipcruise!

Wow, you might really be able to help a bunch of us with all your experience from last year. You must have really loved the itinerary to repeat it. I have a few questions--did you get the ferry to Capri from Naples or Sorrento? Was it far from the ship? When you took the taxi to Pisa do you have any idea if the same thing is possible to Lucca. We have been to Pisa and Florence but would love to see the beautiful city of Lucca. Also, how diffiuclt was the taxi to Taorima? We want to go there and see Mt. Etna from afar but have no interest in going directly up to the volcano--they are so barren looking. Did your itineray include Monte Carlo. We were there for a few days years ago so are rather interested in going to Eze. I think it can be done by either train or taxi for part of the day then spend the rest of the day walking around Monte Carlo which I remember as very easy to do. On that trip we went to St. Paul de Vence and loved it! We were in Malta and Athens last May on the Westerdam but loved both so are anxious to go back. I love the fact that we overnight in Athens so we will get to see the Acropolis lit up at night and also get to experience the night life of the Plaka. If you can help with any of my questions it would be appreciated immensely!

Barbarag

barbarag

Hello, yes we liked the itinerary and the ship very well. It is so easy to get the ferry from Naples, it was on the same pier we docked on. There were plenty of ferries going and coming at many, many times during the day, so it was very easy. We walked around and took a ferniculer (not sure of the spelling-but a tram type ride) to the top to look around and shop and enjoy the view. It was very easy, I wish I could remember the cost of the ferry, it seems as if it might have been about 20.00 US each. The ferniculur was reasonable. Restrooms were easy to find. It turned out to be a very nice day. I am quite sure that many took the taxi to Lucca. Taxi's were easy, as they were waiting on the pier. We paired up with some others to go to Pisa and the taxi ride was only about 10pp, the driver waited for us and took us back for that price. For Taormina again taxi's were at the pier, I am sure you could get one to take you wherever you wish. Have you been to Taormina? If not, it is a lovely city, one of my favorites with breathtaking views. I don't know much about Monte Carlo, we just did the walk around on your own bit. I have heard wonderful things about Eze and if it is half as nice as St. Paul de Vance, then it would be well worth seeing. We were in Monte Carlo on the first of Nov which was a bit of a shame as many things to tour close at the end of Oct. So for this cruise we would run into the same. We did not end up doing the aquatic museum and heard many good things about that. I believe it would still be open that time of the year. The nice thing about Oceania was that in each port there was a local they would bring onboard to give you ideas about what to see and how to see it, costs, etc. I do not think the excursion staff was as helpful, but these locals for the most part were excellent! In Malta, we did on our own as well as we had been on an organized tour of Mdina on a prior trip. We went to see the movie The Malta Experience which was maybe a mile and a half walk from the ship, we enjoyed that (you could choose the language on your headphones). It gave us a great overview of the history of Malta, then we did some sightseeing on our own. As I am writing this it has occured to me that although I journal what we do in each port I don't think I have written down the costs, which on hindsight would be nice to remember for future reference. Hope this helps.

HI Shipcruise,

Thanks for all your help. Hope we can be as adventurous as you and do a lot of the touring on our own. We did do the Malta Experience last year and also thought it gave a great overview. Would like to get out to the prehistoric ruins this trip. Since you said you were in Monaco last year on Nov. 1, I am wondering what the weather was like on your cruise? Someone (on this board I think) said that the weather could be very cold and rainy but when I checked the various ports we will be visiting on the Vacations to Go site I think most of the averages for the Med ports were low 60's as the high--is that about what you experienced?

barbarag

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are also on this cruise and would welcome opportunities to share the cost of self directed on-shore excursions with other couples. We're not at all interested in seeing Marseille but Aix and other highlights in Provence are appealing. The same holds for the other ports of call. Ron & Glenda - Cabin 7032 (subject to change of course).

We went the week before this cruise for the last 3 yrs. (cruise began last week of Oct). Generally, it has been very nice. Wore layers and took a jacket. Usually a light sweater in the morning over a short sleeve top, and the sweater generally came off. Last year the weather was great, the only bad day was in Marseille and it did rain that day. I think it was the only inclement weather. Even sat by the pool in my suit, if it got a little chilly, put a top on over it. I do recall sitting by the pool with a blanket one day. We enjoy the weather it is not too hot for sightseeing and generally pretty pleasant.

Ron and Glenda,

We have been visiting family for Easter so have not been on this board in awhile but we, too, would like to join up with others for some touring on our own if we can agree as to what everyone wants to see. I do have in my files somewhere the name of a tour company in Provence that sounds good (she was listed somewhere else on this board too) but is kind of expensive so we would probably need 6 people at least. We are also thinking about just hopping trains or hiring taxis in various ports and trying to do it on your own. I liked what Shipcruise said about Taorima--sounded easy. Anyone else interested in touring together?

Barbarag

My wife and I are also going to join this cruise for our ten year wedding anniversary. We will likely be one of the youngest couples on the cruise (33 and 32), but we hope to have a great time.

Having done these ports so many times before.. I hope I can add some help..with drivers for you guys who want to hire someone for Provence.

We used

http://Http://www.taxidurand.com

owned by a sweetie named Louisette Durand.. she used Mercedes van held 6 of us very comfortably for touring all over.. You can pick where you want from their itineraries at their site.

Now, she speaks French and her English isn't great.. but then our English is great and our French is weak.. and we all got along tremendously..

For Sorrento you can really walk the town ( lots of fun shops- do not miss Lemoncello tasting ;-)

and restaurants.. if you are lucky and ship overnights in sorrento do yourselves a favor and have dinner in port at Caruso's.. which is the BEST!!!!!!

here is their website ( we took last cruise which overnighted in Sorrento just to have dinner again there- as much as we love Oceania.. this time it was the night over that made us go ..<huge grin> here is the website for a great site about sorrento, hit Ristorante for Caruso email..

http://*****.com/679xp

and the ship did have a shuttle into town from the dock which was nice for that port..

for touring Sorrento/Amalfi beautiful coast

http://Http://www.seesorrento.com

Marcello is the owner and a fun guy too.. loves to yak.. but it was a fun day with him..also Mercedes van seats 6 comfy

Have fun!

My husband and I are going on this cruise. This is our first cruise and we are very excited about it. Yes, we like the idea of meeting at Tea Time at the Horizon Lounge and getting to know others in the same cruise. We love reading all your messages and getting to know more about the ship. Happy sailing!

Millieb

Hey you guys,

I felt so bad that I posted the notice about the free parties and then today learned that the same day I posted that note that Laura at Yahoogroups.com posted the notice that they were being cancelled after the 7/22/05 Insignia sailing. As the person above me wrote, we should just plan our own party/get together be it in the Horizons lounge at tea time or whatever just so we can get together. I will say I was very favorably impressed when the president of the line (Frank) answered one of the posts on this site. I was also impressed that the management is listening to one of the major gripes that I have read about, i.e. the cost of wine and are adding some more reasonably priced vintages. Not only Merlot I hope (aka Sideways). Seriously, his involvement is one reason this line is succeeding!

Barbarag

• 2 weeks later...

I was cruising over spring break, so just getting things back to normal. We would like to go to Aix as well. I don't believe we dock in Sorrento on this cruise. It looks as if we have a nice little group going. My travel agent said that the cabins for this cruise were selling well. As a matter of fact a friend of mine looked at joining us, but most of the cabins left were the more expensive ones, so she opted out. Anyhow, I will at least get this thread bumped to the top again!

• 1 month later...
Am looking forward to seeing a big crowd after boarding. We are excited to hook up with all of you. Where is a good place to gather on the ship?

There is the bar called Horizons deck 10 forward that you could meet your new friends at ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are celebrating our ten year as well - and we are 33 and 34 - so don't worry you won't be the only young ones! We are actually traveling with family as well.....we have a real fun group.

My wife and I are also going to join this cruise for our ten year wedding anniversary. We will likely be one of the youngest couples on the cruise (33 and 32), but we hope to have a great time.

Am looking forward to seeing a big crowd after boarding. We are excited to hook up with all of you. Where is a good place to gather on the ship?
So at the Horizon it will be. You guys be ready to have a good time after waiting all this time. We are soooo exicited, I am counting the days. See you soon.

Archived