Alaskan Cruise/Land tour ?

I need some help! My DH and I were asked by his sister about going on an Alaskan cruise. We have been on 9 cruises- none to Alaska. Heck, we live in Minnesota, we see snow for most of our year! But, we said, OK….. We figure we would like to do a cruise & land tour- any one do that before? How did you like it? Was it worth it?

Any recommendations for which ship you would take? We have been on the Island- loved that one.

Any departure city that you would say was better then another?

Any land tour that you felt was better then the other?

Departure month- we are thinking of June (I teach and we finish in 2010 by June 8th. My DH will have about 10 vacation days to burn by July 1) We can go into July, August is out since school stuff starts to pop up for me. Is June generally cheaper than July? How were the temps in June?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Gabrielle

My suggestion is to go to the northern most city first, do your land tour and then hop on a southbound cruise. This way you get the long flight over at the beginning of the trip, get the land part done (more tiring) and then can relax on the ship and have a shorter flight home. I love the Radiance class ships and love that itinerary.

I agree with Sue about the land tour first. We flew to Fairbanks and worked our way south via train and bus to Seward where we boarded the Vision of the Seas in 2005. Radiance class is nicer but I don't know their itinerary. We left on June 25th and it was 90 degrees when we arrived in Fairbanks and got progressively colder and wetter as we went south. This trip was the most educational but it was also interesting and at times, amazing. I doubt you'd be disappointed. The best excursion was the helicopter to Mendenhall glacier and then dog sledding on the glacier, pricey but something my daughters will never forget.

I agree with previous posts that it is much easier on your body to do the land tour first, starting in Fairbanks and must include a full day into Denali National Park. Then take the ship southbound to Vancouver. The land portion is well worth it but not anywhere near as relaxing as the cruise - early mornings and lots of train/bus time given the very very large distances in Alaska. But the land portion was very worthwhile for us. Each cruise line has land tour options that you should read and determine what best suites your interests. But as I said above, the trip into Denali is great (although somewhat variable in terms of weather and the animals you see).

The ships in Alaska aren't as important as the places you go to, IMO. Hubbard Glacier shouldn't be missed if you want to see a very very large glacier from the ship. If "pool time" is important, then you'll need a ship with an enclosed pool area given the weather you could have.

Getting to central Alaska (Fairbanks) is quite a lengthy trip, but it's really a fascinating state to see, especially if you can do both the land tour and cruise. You'll enjoy both.

Went in June of 07 and the weather was great. Temp in the 70's. We did the land tour last but agree the land tour first would be more to my liken. The bus, train and hotel accomadations were all first rate and the tour guide was one of the best we have ever encounted in our travels. You will not regreat this trip

Thank you for all the good advice! Yes, I think the land tour does sound best to do it first. So, that is our plan.

Any other advice out there about what you wished you did or ports you wish you had seen/spend more time in? Or a not to be missed adventure?

Thanks!

Gabirelle

I need some help! My DH and I were asked by his sister about going on an Alaskan cruise. We have been on 9 cruises- none to Alaska. Heck, we live in Minnesota, we see snow for most of our year! But, we said, OK….. We figure we would like to do a cruise & land tour- any one do that before? How did you like it? Was it worth it?

Any recommendations for which ship you would take? We have been on the Island- loved that one.

Any departure city that you would say was better then another?

Any land tour that you felt was better then the other?

Departure month- we are thinking of June (I teach and we finish in 2010 by June 8th. My DH will have about 10 vacation days to burn by July 1) We can go into July, August is out since school stuff starts to pop up for me. Is June generally cheaper than July? How were the temps in June?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Gabrielle

We took the cruisetour in 2007 and loved it. We left from Anchorage and spent 4 wonderful days on a great tour bus with a wonderful tour guide. Every place we stayed was first class. In Seward we got on the Radiance of the Sea and had a wonderful cruise.

I agree w/ the above. We flew into Anchorage and took a train to Talkeetna and bus to girdwood, then bus to Seward to meet the Radiance of the Seas. The guide we had was terrific and really made the tour special

Wish we had gone to Denali, but are not disappointed in any aspect of the tour we took.

Alaska is AMAZING!!!! We were on the first tour of the season, so there was still snow in the foothills but were comfortable in shirt sleeves the entire land tour. The cruise portion was much colder, but we really enjoyed the cold as we are from So Cal, where it has been over 100 for over a week. How I would love to be in Alaska right now!

Archived