How important is it to pre-book an island tour? (and question re: island sites)

moops

Hi cruisers (this is my first post!),

I've read many of the threads regarding island tours, and while it sounds like several companies are quite highly regarded (e.g. Wix Tours), how critical is it that I pre-book a tour, versus finding one at the port the day of?

My Mom and I will be in Aruba next Tuesday (Sept 8th) from 8am to 8pm, so we will likely spend half a day at the beach (thanks for the tips on the Radisson!), and would like to also spend time touring the island. We would be mostly interested in seeing historical and natural sites -- not interested in snorkeling or watersports, and am looking for more of a leisurely type of bus tour (vs. ATV, etc.). Ideally we would tour in the morning, then hit the beach in the afternoon.

From the sounds of it, there are several private tour companies operating out of the port. So is the bonus of pre-booking primarily to do with ensuring a quality tour (e.g. if I pre-booked with Wix)?

And finally, of the various island sites available, what do you think are the must-sees (e.g. aloe factory, natural bridge, lighthouse, gold mill, Casibari/Ayo rock formations, etc.)? On the Wix website there seems to be quite a difference between the locations visited for the morning and afternoon tours, and I'm not sure which is better.

I've read many of the threads regarding island tours, and while it sounds like several companies are quite highly regarded (e.g. Wix Tours), how critical is it that I pre-book a tour, versus finding one at the port the day of?

My Mom and I will be in Aruba next Tuesday (Sept 8th) from 8am to 8pm, so we will likely spend half a day at the beach (thanks for the tips on the Radisson!), and would like to also spend time touring the island. We would be mostly interested in seeing historical and natural sites -- not interested in snorkeling or watersports, and am looking for more of a leisurely type of bus tour (vs. ATV, etc.). Ideally we would tour in the morning, then hit the beach in the afternoon.

From the sounds of it, there are several private tour companies operating out of the port. So is the bonus of pre-booking primarily to do with ensuring a quality tour (e.g. if I pre-booked with Wix)?

And finally, of the various island sites available, what do you think are the must-sees (e.g. aloe factory, natural bridge, lighthouse, gold mill, Casibari/Ayo rock formations, etc.)? On the Wix website there seems to be quite a difference between the locations visited for the morning and afternoon tours, and I'm not sure which is better.

If you don't book ahead you run the risk of it not being available when you hit port. We have user shoreTrip.com for the past 5 years with no problems. Some times even cheaper.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Here was our experience:

We didn't pre-book a tour because we were waitlisted for a particular snorkel/sail. Well, that didn't pan out, so we planned to rent a car. Can you believe it...no cars available; "come back this afternoon." So we decided to do a van tour. We were told the van would leave when it got 6 people. Now we'd wasted time trying to rent a car, so there weren't that many people left standing around, but there was another couple we had done a few tours previously with, so we asked them if they wanted to join us. So now we're 4, and then another couple came up and said they wanted to join us. We're thinking we're all set, so we tell the driver we're ready. He says, "just a minute" and chases after a group of 8 walking away from the area. He talked them into coming back and going with him, and then tells the 6 of us to get out and get in another van and wait for that driver to get ready. Needless to say, this trip we will be prepared for Aruba! (it did turn out to be a good tour, and the driver even dropped us off at a beach to snorkel with directions of when, where, and which bus to catch to get back to the ship)

Moops

I have been surfing the internet on different tours. I know you like a leisurely type and this company offers it. We on the other hand want the Jeep Saffari. Sounds exciting for our group. But check them out they just might have what your looking for. www.abc-aruba dot com.

We are looking into doing this one.

C) Full Day Jeep Safari

Duration:

8 hours

Time :

9:00am-5:00pm

Included:

FREE Pick-up and Drop-off

Unlimited beverages, B.B.Q

Lunch and snorkel gear

Price:

$ 89.00 pp/$45pp child (3-6) + 3% tax

Stops:

California Lighthouse, Wish Garden, Chapel of Alto Vista, Shark's Mouth, Bushiribana Gold Mill Ruins, Ostrich Farm, Natural Bridge, Arikok National Park, Indian Caves, San Nicolas and Swimming and snorkeling at the famous Natural Pool and Baby Beach.

* Book online & Save 10%

BOOK NOW

* 10% discount apply for 7 days advanced booking only!

booking only![/i]

Archived