Best Way to Handle Airfare??

RestlessInDixie

DH and I have decided on a cruise for our second anniversary and want to book ASAP - however, we are having a hard time deciding what to do about the airfare. The only other cruise we have taken was for our honeymoon and we booked the airfare through the cruise line (Carnival), mainly because we wanted to have everything settled and not have to worry about looking around for a good deal (also at that time, the airline prices were very close in price to the fares the cruiseline offered). This time around, we have decided to cruise with Royal Caribbean and their air seems kinda high - over $700 per person from San Antonio, Texas to San Juan, Puerto Rico (we paid around $550 per person last time - same time of year travel). What is the best way to handle purchasing airfare? More than likely we will be able to find cheaper fares doing it on our own, but what type of problems will we likely run into that way? We just *really* hate to pay more than we have to booking through Royal Caribbean, but at the same time do NOT want to jeopardize our getting to the boat on time in any way. What have you all found to be the easiest and most cost-efficient? Thanks!

Definitely fly a day before your cruise, if you are booking your own air. Drive to Dallas and fly AA to San Juan. They have a big sale right now. Check out AA.com. With Dallas being AA's home base, you should be in great shape, if there are any delays. Good luck and enjoy!!!

In 8 cruises with 2 more booked we have used the cruise lines air only once. That was because the cruise line had a price we knew would be hard to beat (it was something like $350 from Ohio to San Juan).

All others we have booked ourselves. Definately go a day ahead whenever possible. If not, we take the first flight of the day out and make sure that the airline has a couple more flights that same day in case there is a problem.

Charlie

What is the reasoning behind getting to the port city a day before sailing? I've only cruised once before and friends lined that up. They booked the airfare thru the cruiseline and we flew in to San Juan the day of sailing. The transport met us at the airport baggage claim area, boarded the bus and rode to the pier. It seemed to work out quite well.

We are sailing the Grand Princess in Dec. 2005 and hoping to do the same.

Thanks,

live2ski

If you fly in the day before you are relaxed. did not have to deal with getting up early the flight, etc. You did not say when you are cruising, but we flew in the day before our cruise from San Juan, the next day they had a snowstorm and over 300 passangers did not make the ship as the airports in the Northeast were closed. Also on one cruise we were flying in the day of the cruise from Newark to Orlando for a cruise in July, should be know problem right??? Well we were the last passangers to board the ship, with rainstorms in the Orlando area the airport was on a delay, we were suppose to leave Newark at 7am, did not take off until after 1 and did not land until 4:30.....that was the last time we did not fly the day before

What is the reasoning behind getting to the port city a day before sailing? I've only cruised once before ...................The transport met us at the airport baggage claim area, boarded the bus and rode to the pier. It seemed to work out quite well.
That is the way is will work almost every time. However, the one time that it doesn't, you will at the very least increase your stress level and at worst have to figure out how to join the ship at the first port and miss a day or two (if you have a sea day up front) of the cruise.

Second reason for myself is that I always put in a lot of time at work in the week before we leave. Top that off by getting up at 3:30 to make a morning flight, do the flight thing (almost always with a connection), get to the ship and check in, and get unpacked - - -well, I'm pooped. I'd much rather check in to a hotel the night before and be rested and enjoy every minute of the cruise.

I agree with Charlie...by flying in at least a day ahead, you are much less frazzled to begin your vacation. If you are making your own air arrangements, I would especially recommend this, as you never know what the weather and/or delays you might encounter.

We almost always book our air through the cruise line if the price is comparable...even if it might be a little higher. The major reason is, if you are arriving on the same day as your cruise departure and your plane is delayed, the cruise line will know that you are delayed. If there are a number of people on your flight that are also on your cruise, they may delay sailing for you. That has happened to me more than once. If you booked on your own, then you really are on your own. If you're delayed, it may be up to you to make arrangements with the airline to get to the next port. I'd much rather pay a few bucks more and know that the cruise line has my back!;)

RestlessinDixie,

We ran into the same problem with airfare from Nashville. I chose to book our own on SWA to Ft Lauderdale and AA from Ft Lauderdale. We flew in the night before and took our flight to San Juan the next am. On the way back, we had a 3 hour layover, but that wasn't too bad. We had to change terminals, collect baggage etc, but saved 400 a piece by doing it that way. It was not difficult, just took some research. Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We usually book the cruise air so that we'll have it. Then we keep checking for our own flights. If we can't do better by final payment we keep the cruise air. If we find a better deal, we cancel the cruise air before our final is due. Then we can fly in a day early and use the savings to pay for the hotel.

Usually, the only time the cruise air is cheaper is for broken jaw or one way.

• 2 weeks later...

I do the same as Cactusrose, book the cruise including the air, but get the air price broken out separately. Then I know what to budget for the flight, transfers and to cover the hotel the night before. After I make my arrangements I tell my TA to drop the air.

It is a good hedge in case air fares increase due to unknown causes but so far Ihave beaten the original number every smile.giftime.

Archived