Sydney- driving Cape Breton

mdod

We are in Sydney Tue, Oct 13 from 9-6 and have a car rented with Budget. I'm trying to decide if we want to try to drive the Cabot Trail if all the stars lined up and we had a clear day and could get off the ship and get the car quickly.

I read somewhere that it is about 6 hrs driving time: ~ 3Hrs from Sydney to Pleasant Bay, ~ 2hr from Pleasant Bay to Baddeck and ~1 hr from Baddeck to Sydney.

Is the drive itself amazing or stops along the way that are special? We can bring snacks so we wouldn't have to stop for lunch but we wouldn't have spare time to stop for much more than gas along the way. If we drove it, would you suggest going clockwise or counterclockwise?

We are in Sydney Tue, Oct 13 from 9-6 and have a car rented with Budget. I'm trying to decide if we want to try to drive the Cabot Trail if all the stars lined up and we had a clear day and could get off the ship and get the car quickly.

I read somewhere that it is about 6 hrs driving time: ~ 3Hrs from Sydney to Pleasant Bay, ~ 2hr from Pleasant Bay to Baddeck and ~1 hr from Baddeck to Sydney.

Is the drive itself amazing or stops along the way that are special? We can bring snacks so we wouldn't have to stop for lunch but we wouldn't have spare time to stop for much more than gas along the way. If we drove it, would you suggest going clockwise or counterclockwise?

Those times would not allow any time for stopping at all. IF everthing went just right you might be able to make it but, consider this: I'm from the Sydney area and have driven that area many times and I wouldn't take the chance in making it back before the ship left. :eek:

Also, a big part of the of the Cabot Trail is stopping and enjoying the scenary. I would suggest driving up past Ingonish and then return without doing the full circle around the trail. If you like what you see you can always come back. :D

:) do you think out car ride to Baddeck will show us much of the beautiful senery?...we like to enjoy the people, food, shops and scenery without feeling we are on a strick time table. our dream car drive would be about an hour of driving,,visit,,,another hour and then back to the ship..any suggestions..

Those times would not allow any time for stopping at all. IF everthing went just right you might be able to make it but, consider this: I'm from the Sydney area and have driven that area many times and I wouldn't take the chance in making it back before the ship left. :eek:

Also, a big part of the of the Cabot Trail is stopping and enjoying the scenary. I would suggest driving up past Ingonish and then return without doing the full circle around the trail. If you like what you see you can always come back. :D

Thanks rickb. That's what I needed to know. Now to figure out what to do instead.

We tend to like scenery and outdoor activties. No interest at all in shopping in small towns.

We could drive up to Ingonish and hit Baddeck on the way back. I read about a trail to Uisge Ban Falls near Baddeck that sounds nice if we had time.

I also found a post that I think suggested going around the lake through Baddeck and Iona and up the Grand Narrows Highway.

Any thoughts on which of those would give the best variety or most unique scenery?

Many people suggest the Lousiburg Fortress but we're not particularly big history fans. Is that a good option if the weather is bad or is most of it outdoors?

:) do you think out car ride to Baddeck will show us much of the beautiful senery?...we like to enjoy the people' date=' food, shops and scenery without feeling we are on a strick time table. our dream car drive would be about an hour of driving,,visit,,,another hour and then back to the ship..any suggestions..[/quote']

The drive to Baddeck is about an hour and you shouldn't feel rushed. The scenery around there is quite nice however it's a different type of scenery than the Cabot Trail which Mdod was asking about (it's much more rugged around the Cabot Trail). The drive to Baddeck and area is a nice leisurely drive and I think it's a good choice for what you described.

Enjoy your visit! :D

Thanks rickb. That's what I needed to know. Now to figure out what to do instead.

We tend to like scenery and outdoor activties. No interest at all in shopping in small towns.

We could drive up to Ingonish and hit Baddeck on the way back. I read about a trail to Uisge Ban Falls near Baddeck that sounds nice if we had time.

I also found a post that I think suggested going around the lake through Baddeck and Iona and up the Grand Narrows Highway.

Any thoughts on which of those would give the best variety or most unique scenery?

Many people suggest the Lousiburg Fortress but we're not particularly big history fans. Is that a good option if the weather is bad or is most of it outdoors?

By driving to Ingonish you will get a taste of the rugged part of the island whereas the drive to Baddeck is a different type of scenery with rolling hills. Sorry, but I'm not familier with the hiking trails.

The drive through Iona will be similar to Baddeck. My personal preference would be to head towards Ingonish. However, keep in mind that the drive there is about 1.5 hours without stopping and so you'll have to watch the time if you're trying to also go to the Baddeck area on the way back.

Archived