World Cup Cruising!

kelly@

This year’s FIFA World Cup kicks off (pun intended) in just one month -- but if you've booked a cruise holiday, there's no need to panic!

The tournament -- which begins on June 11 with group games, and runs through until the final on July 11 in Johannesburg -- will be shown aboard plenty of cruise ships this summer.

We want to know if you are planning to watch the matches at sea (or in port, of course)? Will you be holding your own World Cup parties onboard with friends and fellow cruisers?

Or, maybe you're heading on a ship in a bid to escape a month of football madness?

Let us know!

Our local sports networks, ESPN and all their affiliates, are heavily promoting the Cup. But in all honesty, I don't know of anyone here in the US who will be rabidly following the contests. I know I don't plan on watching one minute of it as "football" holds absolutely no interest for me. And on a cruise ship, I hardly watch TV at all, so this would not be a priority for me on a cruise. As an American football person, I don't even watch the Super Bowl if I'm on a cruise. Too many other things to do.

My brother-in-law and I will certainly be watching the final when we sail on Golden Princess in July. The final will be on in the morning when we are having a sea day.

People who don't care about the World Cup can always go off and do their own thing. The ships are big enough and provide more alternative entertainment than I can imagine. I don't understand why people who don't watch feel the need to tell us that they are not watching it.

Glad to read your article at http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3864 , Kelly. Very helpful.

As a passenger on Ocean Princess June 25 to July 13, I confess I was a little concerned that I may not see the games on TV. Your article specifically mentions Princess as one of the lines who will be showing the games. Great!

I planned to (and will still) take my shortwave portable just in case!

Maybe I could organize a pool round the pool!

Cool!

PS, Kelly: your England: QF if they're lucky.

Smart money: Brazil & Spain. Brazil to hoist the hardware.

Archived