New to MSC- Divina Questions

cruisexlife

Hello,

I was doing some cruise browsing, and I found a really good deal on the Divina. Here they are:

1) I understand due to large amount of cruisers from Europe, they depart at 8PM. When does boarding end? It is $40 cheaper per person to land in FLL at 12:15, so I assume that I won't arrive at the ship until 1:30. Will this be too late? What time does boarding end?

2) We usually like to use the cruise line's transfer option, does MSC offer one from FLL to the ship? If not, or you know of a cheaper operator, can you give me a link to their website?

3) What is a "Fantastica" balcony, and what is the difference?

4) The cruise does not show up on the MSC website, does this mean that it is sold out? We found the deal through a travel website, but would like to see the rice directly from MSC. Could we?

5) What are the immediate differences between MSC and American cruise lines? I am one for cultural immersion all the way, but some in my party are only for it to a certain extent. I just don't want anyone to have an unfavorable vacation. What are the immediate differences?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Hello,

I was doing some cruise browsing, and I found a really good deal on the Divina. Here they are:

1) I understand due to large amount of cruisers from Europe, they depart at 8PM. When does boarding end? It is $40 cheaper per person to land in FLL at 12:15, so I assume that I won't arrive at the ship until 1:30. Will this be too late? What time does boarding end?

2) We usually like to use the cruise line's transfer option, does MSC offer one from FLL to the ship? If not, or you know of a cheaper operator, can you give me a link to their website?

4) The cruise does not show up on the MSC website, does this mean that it is sold out? We found the deal through a travel website, but would like to see the rice directly from MSC. Could we?

5) What are the immediate differences between MSC and American cruise lines? I am one for cultural immersion all the way, but some in my party are only for it to a certain extent. I just don't want anyone to have an unfavorable vacation. What are the immediate differences?

I can answer two of your questions (as I am UK based and not US based)

Question 3)

It is to do with service levels, which encompasses things such as preferred dinner times, free delivery of breakfast in the cabin, and some other services

All is explained in the following "sticky" thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2224649

Question 4)

MSC don't always offer all their cruises in all their regions at the same time. Sometimes they offer a cruise in one region for a few weeks then move the offer to another region.

You can always use another MSC web site eg. the UK site or the Australia and NZ site to see if the cruise is still on offer.

Pete

They sail at 7pm I believe 5pm is your cutoff time so you should be fine. I like to get there about 1 or after. Plus usually rooms are ready after 2pm.

Not sure about transfers from FLL. You could check with Mears, this is a transport service, cab might be expensive since your coming from FLL instead of MIA. Sounds like you have several people so a van might be better for you. You could probably Google and compare companies and prices.

Outside of the holidays you will have many more Americans on board. So it won't be as Italian/European. They are really trying to understand American cruising. The food & service are not what we are use to. Many courses, slower, smaller portions a lot of pasta and seafood. I enjoyed it. As far as service they are not all over you asking if you want drinks and they are somewhat nonchalant about issues, not that they don't care they just don't fawn all over you.

Don't know about the prices on the site or the major differences in the categories.

Fantastica, besides the room service being included, relates also to location of cabin. You get better cabin location selection (quieter spots). With Bella you are restricted on cabin selection and they tend to be under theater or dining room, etc.

I upgraded to Fantastic for the room location, not the perks, and viewed it the same as when I book Carnival and pay incrementally more for better decks or locations.

I don't know what time boarding ends but there is no way I would ever take a flight that gets in that late on boarding day.

Fantastica, besides the room service being included, relates also to location of cabin. You get better cabin location selection (quieter spots). With Bella you are restricted on cabin selection and they tend to be under theater or dining room, etc.

I suppose it's luck of the draw. We're booked in a Bella balcony on the May 7th sailing and we're in 11202...nothing above or below us except other cabins. It's actually a perfect location. We have friends who are booked in a Fantastica balcony just down the hall from ours. They have a sofa; we don't. Their balcony is also a little bigger.

I suppose it's luck of the draw. We're booked in a Bella balcony on the May 7th sailing and we're in 11202...nothing above or below us except other cabins. It's actually a perfect location. We have friends who are booked in a Fantastica balcony just down the hall from ours. They have a sofa; we don't. Their balcony is also a little bigger.

For me when selecting inside, going to Fantastica opened up more decks and quieter spots. You could get a good cabin with Bella if there is a large enough selection still though.

Still learning my way through their website. It is not the best site out there (nor the worst...)

Still learning my way through their website. It is not the best site out there (nor the worst...)

Agreed...it's not the worst (but pretty close to it!).

Had the Bella balcony that we were assigned been in a lousy location, I would have paid the extra $150 and went for a Fantastica one. As it happened, 11202 is just fine.

Hello,

As for the shuttle service there is a company called SAS Shuttle. They charge $15/person one way. Have used them a couple of times and they are very good. You can check them out on the Florida ports of call forum on these boards

We've booked the Divina for May. I will be my first with MSC after 38 others on others (Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, Princess & RCCL). What I have found out:

#4 first - The web site and customer service are not what I have encountered on the above mentioned lines. I am not discouraged because of this but we need to take it in to consideration when booking and researching. It has been very difficult to get a lot of information from the web site.

#1 - The few reports about passenger mix have been that while there will be more European cruisers the majority will be from the US and Canada for the Caribbean cruises. Our cruise is scheduled to shove off at 7:00 PM. It would seem that you have plenty of time to make it to the port.

Having said that I still like to arrive in the port city the day before. I just don't need the angst of wondering "what if?" in the days before and the day of travel.

#2 - I have used SAS (Click Here for a link.) and found them to be reliable, convenient and economical.

#3 - The main differences between Bella and Fantastica that I have found is price, location, room service and preferred dining time selection. There may be more but the dining time was what prompted me to book Fantastica. Even with the Fantastica level there is no guarantee of getting your preferred dining time. But there is a better chance with the upper level experience.

#5 - I haven't found any definitive difference listed anywhere except that it has a Euro feeling/atmosphere. I lived in Europe for 2 years so I can't think I'll have a problem. But since it remains somewhat of a mystery I have told friends and family that like to cruise with us or are interested that I am making no comments on how much they may or may not enjoy the shipboard experience. If someone decides to join us I would be happy. Just don't come griping to me.:p

If there are any past Divina Caribbean cruisers out there that have additions or corrections to this I would be thankful if you would add your first hand experiences:)

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Divina 18 days ago, and I can say that it does have a European feel to it, and we loved it! We met Austrians, Australians, Brazilians, Brits, Romians, Bulgarians, Italians, Ugandans, French and of course, lots of Yankees living in Florida. Some of the announcements were in 5 languages (the first was English), which didn't bother us, as we just "tune it out" after the English. We thought the service was excellent, as we don't like being bothered every 10 mins. by a waiter checking everything is "ok", and they came as soon as we made them aware we neeeded something. The photographers were a little pushy, but that seems to be the norm on many cruise ships regardless of their origin - got to make that money!

We went Fantastica and enjoyed the experience.

The website was frustrating to deal with, they've obviously still got some work to do to catch up with the Carnivalized ships running out of Florida, who seem to have the whole thing down to a science.

We enjoyed the live music, all over the ship, all the bars had lounge singers, the Galaxy disco was better for upbeat dancing music though. There were also lots of Christmas decorations (we sailed December 5th)which was nice. Hope that helps.

Just off the Divina 18 days ago, and I can say that it does have a European feel to it, and we loved it! We met Austrians, Australians, Brazilians, Brits, Romians, Bulgarians, Italians, Ugandans, French and of course, lots of Yankees living in Florida.

We are returning to Divina for our second cruise next month. The above is what I also loved about her. As someone who doesn't drink or gamble, I also really enjoyed Divina's wide variety of live music and entertainment, something that seems to be getting the cut more and more on other lines.

Your cabin is 148 sq ft total with a balcony of 34 sq ft and your friends cabin will be 192 sq ft with a balcony of 42 sq ft.

You won't be affected by the deck 14 overhang but it could be possible your friends may be to a certain extent.

Edited by Skier52

@98Charlie, we also have booked our first MSC cruise in May on the Divina, May 28th to be exact. With the help of @Skier52, I was able to reserve better cabins or would have been stuck looking through a steel hull or my view would have been a safety boat. It's amazing how the travel agents can't find this out even though I specifically asked for no obstructions. We are looking forward to it! We can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@elsieperalta - I booked through my credit card loyalty group. I had a list of cabins that I was interested in obtaining. They weren't on the list available to my agent but she said she would check.

First one was available so I ended up with one of the cabins with an odd shaped balcony. It's listed on one of the deck plan web pages as being 124 sq. ft.:)

Charlie