Luau time schedule question

dogdaygirl

Hi All

My family and I will be cruising to Hawaii next year and would really like to see the Old Lahania Luau, but we will be docked at Kahului, which looks a long way from Old Lahania Luau location. So I was wondering if anyone out there would know if 1. there is any reliable transportation between the two places since it is not a luau offered by Carnival, and 2. our ship will be leaving at 11pm........would we have enough time to get back to the ship in time?........their site says the luau is over around 8:15. I'm not familar with this area at all so kind of at a loss here. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

It's about a 50 minute drive - give or take depending on traffic. A taxi would be a reliable option, but expensive - probably about $80 each way. I'd consider renting a car (probably about $40 for the day including gas) so that you can explore during the day and spend some time in Lahaina before the luau.

If you leave Lahaina at 8:30, you'll be back at the car rental office by 9:30, which should give you time to get the shuttle back to the ship in plenty of time for a 10:30(?) all aboard.

Note that seating for the luau is assigned according to when you book it - so for really good seats, book early. I'd recommend the 'conventional table and chair seating' vs. 'traditional mat seating'. The mat seating is the closest to the stage, but 3 hours of sitting on a mat could be a challenge. The tables and chairs are in tiered rows, so you'll get good views from them too.

It's about a 50 minute drive - give or take depending on traffic. A taxi would be a reliable option, but expensive - probably about $80 each way. I'd consider renting a car (probably about $40 for the day including gas) so that you can explore during the day and spend some time in Lahaina before the luau.

If you leave Lahaina at 8:30, you'll be back at the car rental office by 9:30, which should give you time to get the shuttle back to the ship in plenty of time for a 10:30(?) all aboard.

Note that seating for the luau is assigned according to when you book it - so for really good seats, book early. I'd recommend the 'conventional table and chair seating' vs. 'traditional mat seating'. The mat seating is the closest to the stage, but 3 hours of sitting on a mat could be a challenge. The tables and chairs are in tiered rows, so you'll get good views from them too.

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the really helpful info.......will have to talk to my husband. So excited about this cruise and looking forward to see a luau, but there are so many out there, just don't know which one would be good to see. lol Thanks again!

I think the OLL is the best luau & have read travel writers who agree.

Some people want to see fire dances however that is not included with the OLL. Fire dances are Samoan & are not included in the OLL's Hawaiian entertainment. They are included at the Feast at Lele (same company as OLL) in Lahaina which is a sitdown meal & drinks from 4 Polynesian cultures across from the beach.

Here's a link to a cab website which shows approximately $70 between the airport & Lahaina. There are luaus at Wailea resort hotels which have an estimated $55 cab fare.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think the OLL is the best luau & have read travel writers who agree.

Some people want to see fire dances however that is not included with the OLL. Fire dances are Samoan & are not included in the OLL's Hawaiian entertainment. They are included at the Feast at Lele (same company as OLL) in Lahaina which is a sitdown meal & drinks from 4 Polynesian cultures across from the beach.

Here's a link to a cab website which shows approximately $70 between the airport & Lahaina. There are luaus at Wailea resort hotels which have an estimated $55 cab fare.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

Thanks for the link Asto Flyer!! I'll check it out. I'm just trying to look at all our options ahead of time. :) Also looking at a couple of luaus on Oahu. Do you know anything about the Cheif's Luau?

Thanks for the link Asto Flyer!! I'll check it out. I'm just trying to look at all our options ahead of time. :) Also looking at a couple of luaus on Oahu. Do you know anything about the Cheif's Luau?

I saw your post on the other luau thread & will reply there but have read positive posts about it. Being on Maui that's my preferred place to go to a luau when friends visit us but without a good transportation option then Oahu may be your best option.

I don't know your schedule & whether Kauai or Kona might be an option. Decades ago our 1st luau was in Kona at the King Kamahamaha hotel near the tender pier.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I saw your post on the other luau thread & will reply there but have read positive posts about it. Being on Maui that's my preferred place to go to a luau when friends visit us but without a good transportation option then Oahu may be your best option.

I don't know your schedule & whether Kauai or Kona might be an option. Decades ago our 1st luau was in Kona at the King Kamahamaha hotel near the tender pier.

We will be going to Kauai and Kona but only until 5:30pm on one and 6:00pm on the other so no time for a luau. I'm hoping the one on Oahu will work out. Kind of nervous about not using the Carnival ones so no problem with the time getting back to the ship, but we don't really want to go to the ones they are offering ........one because of not so good reviews, and the other because it's six hours of sitting on a small picnic table bench. Hubby doesn't think his back and knees will take that. Years ago, I went to Paradise Cove and loved it so was thinking about that one, but I've read a lot of good reviews on Cheif's Luau and it sounded like it was closer to the pier than Paradise........not even sure about that. LOL This will be my husbands and sons first time to Hawaii so want everything to be perfect for them.

We will be going to Kauai and Kona but only until 5:30pm on one and 6:00pm on the other so no time for a luau. I'm hoping the one on Oahu will work out. Kind of nervous about not using the Carnival ones so no problem with the time getting back to the ship, but we don't really want to go to the ones they are offering ........one because of not so good reviews, and the other because it's six hours of sitting on a small picnic table bench. Hubby doesn't think his back and knees will take that. Years ago, I went to Paradise Cove and loved it so was thinking about that one, but I've read a lot of good reviews on Cheif's Luau and it sounded like it was closer to the pier than Paradise........not even sure about that. LOL This will be my husbands and sons first time to Hawaii so want everything to be perfect for them.

They have $14/pp. r/t transportation from the cruise terminal (3:30) which seems reasonable to me.

On Trip Advisor 93% of the reviews are either 'excellent' (77%) or 'very good' and this info from their website looks good.

About Chief's Luau

TripAdvisor's #1 Rated Luau in Hawaii (4.8)

Closest Luau to Waikiki (25 min.)

Spectacular 10-Minute 8-Man Fire Knife Dance

Up Close & Personal Activities with Entire Cast

Sumptuous Hawaiian Dinner

Stunning Panoramic Ocean-Mountain Vista

Most Intimate Luau on the Island

Produced by Internationally Recognized Chief Sielu

You're certainly doing your research about the best luau option for your group & they should appreciate your diligence seeking a perfect luau for their first visit to Hawaii. :)

They have $14/pp. r/t transportation from the cruise terminal (3:30) which seems reasonable to me.

On Trip Advisor 93% of the reviews are either 'excellent' (77%) or 'very good' and this info from their website looks good.

About Chief's Luau

TripAdvisor's #1 Rated Luau in Hawaii (4.8)

Closest Luau to Waikiki (25 min.)

Spectacular 10-Minute 8-Man Fire Knife Dance

Up Close & Personal Activities with Entire Cast

Sumptuous Hawaiian Dinner

Stunning Panoramic Ocean-Mountain Vista

Most Intimate Luau on the Island

Produced by Internationally Recognized Chief Sielu

You're certainly doing your research about the best luau option for your group & they should appreciate your diligence seeking a perfect luau for their first visit to Hawaii. :)

Haha, I try!! They sure give me a bad time about trying to plan things out so early and with all my lists and stuff. But my husband does admit that they get to reap the benefits of my research and planning. ;) There is just so much to see there and so little time to see it, and so few opportunities to go there, unfortunately........makes it so hard to decied what to see and what you have to miss. I would go to Hawaii every year if I could......I love it there.

The OLL was simply amazing. It was one of the highlights of our last trip and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

We have already made plans to do it again on our next trip there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like many travel writers & you, I feel the same way however for those who want to see fire dancers that's Samoan & not included in the OLL's Hawaiian entertainment.

I've been to both OLL and their sister luau, Feast at Lele on Maui. These are both excellent you won't find glittery "grass" skirts or corny emcees there. The dancers are wonderful as are their costumes. If one wants historic accuracy and a snapshot of Hawaiian (OLL) or Polynesian culture, either of these cannot be beaten IMHO. Not saying there aren't other great luau out there, just saying I don't think anyone would argue that there are none better. I understand the PCC on Oahu does a very nice luau as well.

Fire dancers ARE included at Feast at Lele as it is a Polynesian luau.

I've heard good things about Drums of the Pacific on Maui, but as someone that has spent a few months on Maui, I honestly don't remember ever hearing much about Chief's. And please take Trip Advisor's reviews with a little grain of salt. I'm a big fan of that site and visit it often, but if you look at the top hotels on Maui or anywhere else, sometimes you will be very surprised to see some little known places listed as a "top" hotel…. I find it better to search for reviews embedded in the actual forums rather than the Reviews themselves. Hope that made sense.

We went to Drums of the Pacific (Hyatt Regency Kaanapali) because visiting friends got a great deal through their timeshare's program. We enjoyed the show & the drinks including draft Kona Brew but the meal was nothing exceptional & not nearly as good at the OLL.

We've enjoyed both the OLL and Feast at Lele a couple of times each & both were great. The Feast at Lele is different than other luaus...a sitdown meal created by James McDonald with 4 courses from different Polynesian cultures with entertainment from each one. It's a little bit more than the OLL & both are great if slightly different.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've heard good things about Drums of the Pacific on Maui, but as someone that has spent a few months on Maui, I honestly don't remember ever hearing much about Chief's. And please take Trip Advisor's reviews with a little grain of salt. I'm a big fan of that site and visit it often, but if you look at the top hotels on Maui or anywhere else, sometimes you will be very surprised to see some little known places listed as a "top" hotel…. I find it better to search for reviews embedded in the actual forums rather than the Reviews themselves. Hope that made sense.

Yes, it makes sense and it is so true.

Also, your memory is just fine. The reason you did not remember Chief's luau on Maui is because it isn't here. It's on Oahu.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you! I am also considering the Hale Koa Luau on Oahu. Anyone have info on that? My son is stationed there.

The (supposedly current) price for that luau is $54.95 per person BUT we have read several reports that indicate everyone attending must be in the military or staying at that hotel. Luaus are expensive, to be sure, but just remember that you pretty much get what you pay for with them.

Hale Koa is a military exclusive resort, however, as long as a military member, either past or present, buys the tickets, guests may attend. Since both my son and brother, who will be traveling with us qualify, it should be ok. I read comments on their site, and it sounded fun and interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.oldlahainaluau.com/ under reservation the price list is up top on left

HOME

RESERVATIONS

MENU

PHOTOS

REVIEWS

CONTACT US

MAUI RESTAURANTS

RESERVATIONS

2015 Rates :

Adults (13 and up) $105 + tax = $109.37

Children (3 – 12Yrs) $75 + tax = $78.12

Highchair Infant (0-2 Yrs) $0.00 + tax = $0.00