Choosing the ship and dates for a Hawaii cruise

CruisingSince2012

My favorite Hawaii itinerary is the only repositioner that includes Mount Kilauea. Unfortunately, veranda cabins are sold out for it. With 5 sea days, I would hate to book an oceanview cabin. I also would hate to not see MK. Apparently that is a tradeoff unless I go the opposite direction in September - bad timing because of football games. So what should I do? My options are:

1. Look for an oceanview cabin with a big window

2. Miss Mount Kilauea to get a veranda stateroom

3. Book a 2017 cruise and put off a Europe cruise

I looked at Princess too. It would be on a smaller ship with less time in ports so Celebrity definitely looks better for a Hawaii repositioner.

there is only one cruise that includes Hilo?

The big problem- is, IF you are thinking of giving Mount Kilauea a priority- thinking you are going to see an eruption- you are likely to be disappointed. More often than not- it isn't real active.

That issue would be significant in your choice- being realistic on the expectations.

IF it happens to be a priority for you to just visit Volcano National Park- which is spectacular any time you go, then probably you have make the choice currently that will be the best in that case. I find it grossly superior to go there with a rental car. You then have the ability to drive the Chain of Craters road as far as possible taking all the time you want- which none of the tours will allow. The Visitor Center is a worthwhile stop, and the latest information.

I'm a bit confused by your dilemma - does your favourite repositioning cruise stop in Hilo or cruise by Kilauea (or both)?

If you'd hate to book an OV, then I'd rule out option 1.

If Mt. Kilauea is a must, then you'd need to rule out option 2.

That leaves option 3 - but if you haven't cruised in Europe yet, is it worth waiting 2 more years to cruise there?

When did you last see Kilauea? Was it when lava was flowing into the ocean (which stopped approximately September 2013?)

I'm a bit confused by your dilemma - does your favorite repositioning cruise stop in Hilo or cruise by Kilauea (or both)?

If you'd hate to book an OV, then I'd rule out option 1.

If Mt. Kilauea is a must, then you'd need to rule out option 2.

That leaves option 3 - but if you haven't cruised in Europe yet, is it worth waiting 2 more years to cruise there?

When did you last see Kilauea? Was it when lava was flowing into the ocean (which stopped approximately September 2013?)

Millie cruises past Mount Kilauea. I never heard of a ship not docking at Hilo. However, looking at a Hawaii map, they seem to be at opposite ends of the Big Island. The only difference I care about is MK. Is that worth booking an OV cabin instead of a balcony?

Millie cruises past Mount Kilauea. I never heard of a ship not docking at Hilo. However, looking at a Hawaii map, they seem to be at opposite ends of the Big Island. The only difference I care about is MK. Is that worth booking an OV cabin instead of a balcony?

Kilauea is at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - about a 45 minute drive from Hilo - I agree with Budget Queen's recommendations in the last paragraph of her post. Here's a map with the route from Hilo.

I'd opt for the balcony and drive to VNP.

You drive to Volcano National Park, from Hilo. Takes about an hour- not sure what "map" you are looking at?

However- as I already mentioned, the volcano is far more "less" active than active.

I mentioned I've been to Hawaii about 20 times, most of them on cruises. TWiCE did I hit the active volcano viewing. ALL the other trips, bypassed this direction of sailing as there was nothing to see.

I would not base the selection on such a remote chance, if there are other priorities. You'll have to determine- what will work best for you.

Kilauea doesn't erupt in the sense that there is lava shooting skyward and spewing everywhere. It sort of oozes and flows. There hasn't been a flow to the sea in a couple of years, though of course a vent could open at any time and send it that way. Right now it is flowing inland

Edited by greatlakesgirl

In 2005 (the first of our three Hawaiian cruises on Princess), we did a sail-by Kilauea at night after leaving Hilo. It was active then, and we can see the lava hitting the ocean. But it isn't always active. So if that's your number one priority, you may be disappointed as others have said. Not sure how predictable it is far in advance (when many Hawaiian cruises have to be booked by). You can see if you can get waitlisted for a cruise you want, but if you're flexible about which cabin category, then you might have a chance.

The next two cruises we didn't have the sail-by, but it may have be moot if the volcano wasn't active (I wasn't keeping tabs since we knew we wouldn't go by).

• 2 months later...

We sailed this repo cruise on the Solstice in 2013 and we were delighted to see lava flowing into the ocean. We did have a balcony cabin but the best view was on the upper outside decks. We have the same cruise booked again for April 2016 and will keep our fingers crossed for a lava flow again. I wouldn't fret too much over no balcony avail right now, book the Oceanview and keep watching.

• 2 weeks later...

On that cruise I was on with the drive by (and it was active then), many people (passengers and crew members) were out on the open deck with cameras clicking. I really don't know how many were viewing from their balcony, but I would rather have a wide open perspective for viewing something like this or other sites such as glaciers in Alaska.

Pride of America is currently sailing around the top (North) of the Big Island from Hilo to Kona because there is nothing to see from Kilauea at sea. We have just returned from 2 weeks in Hawaii and had an extra 4 nights on the Big Island at Volcano - the glow from the Halema'uma'u crater varied each night partly due to rain/mist. We were told even on a helicopter tour you may not see much red lava as it often oozes underground and the cooling surface is black. You can check conditions here http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/activity/kilaueastatus.php and the National Park website has lots of information so you can have realistic expectations. http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

I'm guessing you read something like this http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruises/cruise-package-ML11H018?packageid=ML11H018&dest=HAWAI&shipCode=ML&shipName=Celebrity Millennium&sailDate=1160415&cabincls=BALCONY&promoType=80 and it really surprises me how so many tourist publications can get away with advertising hikes and boat rides to see molten red hot lava. In my experience this was not legally possible at the moment though obviously a volcano has its own schedule.