ATMs Santiago and Buenos Aires

SWANOZ

BUDGET QUEEN That may be true to a point. Some credit cards dont't have fees on their end but the bank ATM in the foreign country does!!! So, you are still slammed but only once!!!!

I dont understand. Is this about credit cards or ATM/debit cards (big difference)?

BQ has a Schwab ATM card (me too) which rebates all ATM fees and has no foreign transaction fees.

It is really rare to use a credit card at an ATM.

7 ATM visits on our last trip in Chile and Peru resulted in a recent ATM rebate of $40.77.

Edited by thinfool

I dont understand. Is this about credit cards or ATM/debit cards (big difference)?

BQ has a Schwab ATM card (me too) which rebates all ATM fees and has no foreign transaction fees.

It is really rare to use a credit card at an ATM.

7 ATM visits on our last trip in Chile and Peru resulted in a recent ATM rebate of $40.77.

While fees for using ATMs in Chile and Peru may in deed be rebated if you have such a debit card (including one which waives not only foreign (other bank) ATM fees, but also includes a waiver of all foreign currency transaction fees, i.e., a Schwab debit card like mine ... the Arg bank systems (Banelco and Link) fees will not be waived.

Also, the waiver of foreign ATM fees (at home and abroad) is usually capped at some figure around 100 per year.

Edited by pmacher61

• 2 weeks later...
Look into Schwab bank. Their debit card so far has worked everywhere I've been with no foreign transaction or ATM fees. Either no fees show up on my statement at all, or they show as debited and then credited right back. Even no charge to use the ship's ATM.

And Schwab's customer service has been exemplary whenever I call with questions. I can deposit to the checking account directly from my "regular" bank, so it's all very easy. And there are bank branches located in many if not most cities, so you can also make deposits in person if you prefer.

I'll find out in a week if it works just as well in S. America. I don't have any reason to think it won't, but I always travel with several forms of payment just in case!

I can concur. Same for me. Love Schwab and their customer service. How did it go in South America?.

• 2 weeks later...

We used ATMs in Uruguay and Chile. No issues. In Chile we only took 200,000 pesos. No issue whatsoever and there were options to take more. We took USD and bough Argentine lexis in Uruguay. Exchange rate was the same but much less paperwork.