Gatwick to Hampton Waterloo

We'll be arriving on a Tuesday in May at at 11:10 am. I am trying to compare 2 options. The Gatwick Express to Victoria for 17.80 pounds and then a cab for an unknown amount to the Hampton Inn Waterloo. Or, Southern Trains to Clapham Junction and change for train to Waterloo Station and short walk to hotel for about 13 pounds. We will have 1 large suitcase each as well as a small under the seat type flight bag. I think I would prefer the Southern train but am concerned that it will be too crowded to accommodate our luggage. I would welcome advice.

I think I would prefer the Southern train but am concerned that it will be too crowded to accommodate our luggage.
In the middle of the day you will have no problems with crowding. If you don't mind changing at Clapham Junction (which will probably involve level changes up and down using lifts (elevators) to go to the correct platform for the train to Waterloo) and the walk from Waterloo to the hotel, this route should work fine for you.

When you get to Waterloo and exit through the ticket barriers, head to your right (towards the end of the station with the lower-numbered platforms). It's also the end where the Jubilee Line part of the Tube station is, so there will be signage for that. You will see escalators going down to street level at that end (and I think there should be lifts down to street level too). This will tip you out on to Waterloo Road. Turn right and you'll be heading in the direction of the hotel. (Walk past the Fire Station (restaurant/gastropub) which will be on your right, and the Old Vic Theatre which will be on your left, and keep going. You will need to cross Waterloo Road at some point.)

Which would you choose for a party of two at that time with that luggage? We are both fit.
Personally, I think I would do neither of these to get to the Hampton Inn Waterloo, mostly because Clapham Junction still isn't the easiest place to change trains even with the new lifts. Instead, I would probably do one of the following.

Option 1: Take the train from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge. Exit the mainline station and go down to the Tube - take the Jubilee Line westbound two stops to Waterloo. When you exit the Jubilee Line at Waterloo, you will be on Waterloo Road for the reasons already set out above. Step-free access throughout.

Option 2: Take the train from Gatwick Airport to London Bridge. Change there (within the mainline station) for any train to Waterloo East and walk from there to the hotel - it is only slightly longer than the walk from the main Waterloo station. Make sure that you exit the station at street level - do not follow the signs over the walkway to the main Waterloo station. Then walk out onto Waterloo Road and turn left.