Mendenhall Glacier hiking- West Glacier trail

Hsmama

looking at maps and hiking opportunities- any solid advice for this trail? The map says 6.8 miles= 5 hours, is that the total time, or one way? I am interested in other views of the glacier that can be had on hikes, etc. We have a rental car, not sure which we want to try, we aren't afraid of hiking (moderate) and we will be in port from 1-9 first week of May- any and all advice about hiking mendenhall for views is appreciated.

This is a pretty good blog (not mine) on the West Glacier Trail with photos.

http://www.panamintcity.com/alaska/westglacier.html

We hiked the trail several years ago and had a wonderful time. The prize at the end is being able to look from above at where the tour helicopters land on the glacier. We did it on a beautiful day. Not sure we’d attempt it if it were raining as there are areas where you are hiking on rocks that would be slick. There is also a chance to run in to bears along the trail. On nice days, particularly on weekends, the trail will have many other people on it.

The 5 hours would be round trip. The problem will be your time frame which is early for this trail. You’ll need to check on trail conditions the closer you get to your arrival in Juneau.

I hiked this trail one time when in port from a cruise ship. I rented a car since you can't easily get to the trailhead otherwise (taxi I guess, but that would have been more expensive both ways than the car rental). Great hike and I too liked getting above the glacier.

The main downside of the hike for me was that I constantly heard all the helicopters buzzing around. I guess it was inevitable but it certainly was a distraction.

If you are in Skagway and like hiking, the Upper Dewey Lake Trail is great for views and a good workout. There is another trail there that I also hiked during a different time in Skagway - Upper Reid Falls Trail I believe it was called. Different from and more strenuous than the Lower Reid Falls Trail.

We aren't going to Skagway..... I will watch the weather, and keep it as a possibility..... if our ship is docked from 1-9, we could potentially hike till about 7:30 and be back in plenty of time.....

Watch your time. You’ll need your own transportation as the trail head is on the west side of the glacier and visitor center where the shuttles go. Car rental or cab and then allow for the rental drop off or waiting for a cab. It will take 25-30 minutes one way from the tram downtown to the trailhead.

• 1 month later...
looking at maps and hiking opportunities- any solid advice for this trail? The map says 6.8 miles= 5 hours, is that the total time, or one way? I am interested in other views of the glacier that can be had on hikes, etc. We have a rental car, not sure which we want to try, we aren't afraid of hiking (moderate) and we will be in port from 1-9 first week of May- any and all advice about hiking mendenhall for views is appreciated.

What day will you be in port? Is your car full? ;)