Dress

Sailaway25

Just wondered if anyone could and would share some pictures of their dresses for formal non formal nights, or trouser suits that you have worn...both me and my mom are getting twitched about our wardrobe...:)

Yeah, I have looked t that......but mostly American would have liked some uk pictures...no offence but i do think we do dress differently to our US cousins, and have different shops to where we buy from..

Glad there were helpful rather than scary ! Long isn't compulsory by any means but I like to wear them. It's difficult to be over the top on Cunard.

Happy shopping

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Thnk you hattie, those are beautiful...sooo i definitely need some long frocks...ebay her i come..i wasn't quite sure, didn't want to be over the top.

G'day Sailaway25,

I have just returned from my first Cunard cruise on the QM2. We also did an African Safari/tour which had luggage restrictions, so I was very worried about what to pack for formal nights. Our cruise was 16 nights, five of which were designated formal nights.

I packed one long black sleeveless dress, which I wore with different wraps/lace cardigans etc, to give a different look. I also packed an almost full length black skirt, which was worn with some sparkly colourful tops. My husband packed a black tuxedo, another good suit, as well as a blazer and different trousers.

Despite being worried that I would be underdressed, it became apparent that we were of the few that wore long dresses and tuxedo. On our table for eight at dinner, we were the only ones dressed this way. Everyone else wore shorter skirts or trousers in formal nights, and the guys wore suits. One man on our dinner table did not dress up at all, and wore a t shirt with a track suit style jacket on non-formal nights, and a shirt and tie with the same track suit jacket on formal nights. He only wore the jacket to walk into Britannia, other times he just carried it and sat in the t shirt. I was very surprised, as I thought the dress code was more formal, and by reading the CC boards I assumed all would adhere to the code, or dine in the buffet. While we were surprised, we didn't say anything, we don't care what people wear and we had a number of good evenings together. But I must say I found Celebrity and Princess guests dressed up more on formal nights.

Have a great cruise!

G'day Sailaway25,

I was very surprised, as I thought the dress code was more formal, and by reading the CC boards I assumed all would adhere to the code, or dine in the buffet. While we were surprised, we didn't say anything, we don't care what people wear and we had a number of good evenings together. But I must say I found Celebrity and Princess guests dressed up more on formal nights.

Have a great cruise!

I think your experience is an exception to the rule. We have taken 5 cruises and TA crossings on Cunard and found that the great majority of passengers have adhered to the formal dress recomendations.

However, I have noticed in other CC posts by Australians that seem to indicate that the dress code is apparently being relaxed for that market. We would be very disappointed if that were to happen on our next cruise. We love the formality we experience on Cunard and wouldn't want it any other way.

Edited by BobBranst

"One man on our dinner table did not dress up at all, and wore a t shirt with a track suit style jacket on non-formal nights, and a shirt and tie with the same track suit jacket on formal nights. He only wore the jacket to walk into Britannia, other times he just carried it and sat in the t shirt."

Did you have a word with the maître-d' about it? From what I've been told word came from...wherever it comes from...that guests are not to be "reminded" about the dress code by the staff unless another guest asks them to do it. I think it a bad move because none of us like to make a fuss so we just accept it and remember it later to the detriment of the other 99% that make the effort.

To answer the O/P; do take long if you can. We get so little chance to dress up these days it is fabulous to be able to wear The Frock. Once upon a time, and not that long ago, everybody did wear long(even gowns) but, particularly since the dress code went down to two, cocktail is fine for formal.

Glad there were helpful rather than scary ! Long isn't compulsory by any means but I like to wear them. It's difficult to be over the top on Cunard.

Happy shopping

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

I agree, you can never be too over dressed on Cunard and I always wear a long dress on formal night and I dress for the theme balls as well. I have my long dresses made so they one off's So can not recommend where to buy as I live overseas and not the UK. I think all ladies look good in long dresses on formal nights.

ASOS online have a good selection of long dresses in at the moment.

Also on world cruises or segments you often get a some less formal dressed passengers when different Nationalities are on board. Australians tend not to wear long dresses and formal wear. They are more casual in their dress. So often it depends on where you are cruising and what type of passengers are on board to how dressy things are.

I would wear something as formal as this.

ARCADIAJAN2013033_zps86bf9b1c.jpg

]

Edited by maggiemou

"One man on our dinner table did not dress up at all, and wore a t shirt with a track suit style jacket on non-formal nights, and a shirt and tie with the same track suit jacket on formal nights. He only wore the jacket to walk into Britannia, other times he just carried it and sat in the t shirt."

Did you have a word with the maître-d' about it? From what I've been told word came from...wherever it comes from...that guests are not to be "reminded" about the dress code by the staff unless another guest asks them to do it. I think it a bad move because none of us like to make a fuss so we just accept it and remember it later to the detriment of the other 99% that make the effort.

To answer the O/P; do take long if you can. We get so little chance to dress up these days it is fabulous to be able to wear The Frock. Once upon a time, and not that long ago, everybody did wear long(even gowns) but, particularly since the dress code went down to two, cocktail is fine for formal.

Hi, no I didn't complain about it, I just let it ride. I was more surprised than anything. We always 'tux it up' as my husband says - so we were surprised to be in the minority. We also dressed for the theme nights, again we were in the minority. There were a lot of Australians onboard, but only about a quarter or a third of the passengers would have been Australian.

But we had a great cruise, a fabulous 16 nights. We really liked the ship and had great service.

Cheers

Rosie

Just feeling a wee bit defensive as an Australian who loves to dress up. I often see Australians dressed quite formally on my Seabourn cruises. The ones who I saw dressed too casually IMO on my last cruise were from the northern hemisphere.

Haven't yet sailed on Cunard but looking forward to doing so and bringing my long dresses and my husband's Tux with us. :)

Julie

Just feeling a wee bit defensive as an Australian who loves to dress up. I often see Australians dressed quite formally on my Seabourn cruises. The ones who I saw dressed too casually IMO on my last cruise were from the northern hemisphere.

Haven't yet sailed on Cunard but looking forward to doing so and bringing my long dresses and my husband's Tux with us. :)

Julie

Hear hear, Julie. We always dress up to the max and will certainly again be doing so on QV in July. On our last voyage there were only 22-25 Australians aboard but all made a supreme effort.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I can understand you being in defence of your fellow countrymen. I would do the same. I love Australians and I have many very good friends who are Aussies. My best friend for over 40 years is in Melbourne. We sail to Australia most years on Cunard. We have been may times. We have done the circumnavigation around the country twice on QM2 and next year we will be there again. Having sailed on Cunard most of the times into Australia, I have to say we have met wonderful good fun people and I love Australians at our table as they are such good company. However, I have met very few who dress up for the formal nights. The men may wear a tux and the ladies often just a day dress. Only once did we have I the company of a lady wearing a long dress at our table. Most men wear a suit and tie and the ladies wear just what I would call a nice day dress. Not even a cocktail type dress. I am always dressed in a long dress and no one else would be if they were from Australia. I have many good Australian friends and some I know do love to dress up but the majority do not in my experience of dining with many different ones over the years.

If I am on board and I have had people not dressed in the correct attire I complain to the staff. It is a shame that Cunard are now letting the dress code slip. It is unfair on people who make the effort, not only in getting ready, but also investing in lovely formal wear only to find someone who doesn't care seated near you.

I had a huge complaint about this on the 2014 world cruise when a lady came to formal at our table wearing in a denim jacket. I was mortified after spending a fortune on having my dress made and to be seated next to someone in such a casual outfit.

I think it is time all passengers complained if they see someone getting away with the wrong dress code. They know what the code when they book the cruise. If they flaunt it they need reporting to staff. The staff should be forced to make sure the rules are applied .

Time we all did what Cunard seem afraid to do now in case they upset people. Well, they upset the rest of us who do take care and pride in our dress.

Rise up and revolt I say in favour of keeping Cunard formal :D :D

I think your experience is an exception to the rule. We have taken 5 cruises and TA crossings on Cunard and found that the great majority of passengers have adhered to the formal dress recomendations.

However, I have noticed in other CC posts by Australians that seem to indicate that the dress code is apparently being relaxed for that market. We would be very disappointed if that were to happen on our next cruise. We love the formality we experience on Cunard and wouldn't want it any other way.

BobBranst, hello. I think there is a case that Cunard do ignore the dress code somewhat whilst in Australia. Cunard only ever go there on a world voyage and when in Australia the ships take on more of a relaxed atmosphere as people are boarding and leaving again after three days. Perth to Adelaide for instance Many world cruisers call it a ferry when we reach OZ. So the dress code can be a bit iffy. The Australians who stay on and go say to Hong Kong do not always dress up very formal. They tend to dine In the buffet and the ones that do dress up are few and far between. Once away for OZ the Japanese come and boy do they dress up. So a lot of it is a cultural thing. :)

Have never been on a world cruise only two or three week cruises from the UK and having no wish to prolong this thread, would say that in our experience the majority do adhere to the code but equally the majority of those who don't in our experience are the ladies as described in an earlier message. Sorry ladies!!

We enjoy the formality of Cunard and it is a highlight of our cruise. I love to wear full length dresses on formal nights but did find last year that it was a hindrance in dancing in the Queens Room and in fact on the last formal night last summer I went and changed into a cocktail dress. I may rethink this summer and take less full length! On the other hand we will be flying with Triton Airlines from Manchester to Istanbul and very disappointed to find that the airline Cunard are using limits us to 20kg hold luggage with 1 carry on back each. We are unable to pay to take additional luggage or pay for excess which will prove quite difficult when it comes to packing. I will be interested to hear over the next few months whether any passengers find a way around this. Unfortunately the White Star luggage service do not cover journeys to Istanbul.

On the other hand we will be flying with Triton Airlines from Manchester to Istanbul and very disappointed to find that the airline Cunard are using limits us to 20kg hold luggage with 1 carry on back each. We are unable to pay to take additional luggage or pay for excess which will prove quite difficult when it comes to packing. I will be interested to hear over the next few months whether any passengers find a way around this. Unfortunately the White Star luggage service do not cover journeys to Istanbul.
Have you confirmed this directly with Cunard? If you booked far enough ahead, the airline may have a special "cruise fare" agreement with the cruise lines which allows extra bags. We had to buy our air tickets over a year before the flight is scheduled next February, but we will be able to each have 2 bags + carry-ons on our return flight from Santiago Chile to Kanas City in the USA. Our travel agent found this for us shortly after we paid our down payment for a 2016 QM2 world segment. This was on an American Airline, but it wouldn't hurt to ask Cunard about Triton. The worst that can happen is for them to say "no", but it is possible that they have an arrangement with Triton which is different than what is published by the airline for the general public. Good Luck!

Bob

About how many formal nights on a world cruise? Thank you in advance

There are usually around 30 to 33 formal nights on a world cruise. I take around 15 /16 long dresses and I also take dresses for the themed night balls.

We enjoy the formality of Cunard and it is a highlight of our cruise. I love to wear full length dresses on formal nights but did find last year that it was a hindrance in dancing in the Queens Room and in fact on the last formal night last summer I went and changed into a cocktail dress. I may rethink this summer and take less full length! On the other hand we will be flying with Triton Airlines from Manchester to Istanbul and very disappointed to find that the airline Cunard are using limits us to 20kg hold luggage with 1 carry on back each. We are unable to pay to take additional luggage or pay for excess which will prove quite difficult when it comes to packing. I will be interested to hear over the next few months whether any passengers find a way around this. Unfortunately the White Star luggage service do not cover journeys to Istanbul.

Have you made sure you can not buy extra l kilos in your baggage allowance? We live in Cyprus and always have extra weight to get to a cruise destination. I buy extra kilos, or an extra case plus extra kilos. You can often do this on low cost airlines. If not I go over weight and pay the excess at the check in.

Another way is to book your own airfares rather than use Cunard to book them. I have already booked my flights myself for our world cruise segment next year. Cunard allow you the difference in their airfares if you booked fly cruise. I prefer cruise only as now I booked 11 months ahead and was able to book my seat and I got 30 kilos allowance on my chosen airline. Enjoy your cruise and carry on dressing formal we love it!

Thank you for your suggestions, unfortunately I have checked with Cunard and my agent and have told me that no additional luggage can be taken. It is Titan, not Triton (my mistake)

Titan Airways are pleased to be operating a charter flight service on behalf of luxury cruise line Cunard on Saturdays from 6th June to 24th October 2015. I have copied info from Titons Cunard page, and unfortunately white star luggage will not transfer luggage to Istanbul. I am keeping an eye on things in case they change as we only sail in August.

The exclusive cruise flights to Rome Fiumicino, Trieste, Venice, Athens and Istanbul Sabiha originate in Manchester.

If you are travelling with Cunard and your flight number begins with the letters ZT you will be flying with us and we look forward to welcoming you onboard our Boeing 737-300 aircraft.

UK Departure/Arrival: Manchester

Check-in opens: 3 hours prior to departure

Check-in closes: 40 minutes prior to departure

Hold baggage allowance: 20kg

Excess baggage: Due to operational restrictions it is not possible to purchase excess baggage

Hand baggage allowance: 5kg