Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket from Warnemunde cruise port

madeph

Good afternoon,

I'll be on a cruise that will be at Warnemunde on a weekday at 9am. After reading suggestions to stick around the port, I've decided to cancel my Berlin excursion, as 6 hours in transit isn't that enticing.

I was wondering what people thought about going from Warnemunde to Schwerin to Wismar?

Which itinerary seems more feasible (9am-11pm)?

1. Hop on the train to Warnemunde to Schwerin, then Schwerin to Wismar, back to Warnemunde without exploring Warnemunde or Rostock
  2. Explore Warnemunde, train to Schwerin, train to/explore Rostock, train back to Warnemunde
  3. Hop on the train to Warnemunde to Schwerin, train to/visit Wismar, train to/explore Rostock, train back to Warnemunde without exploring
  4. Or, any other scenarios people have successfully experienced

Also, from what I've read, the MVT (35 Euros for 4 people) covers all above transportation from 9am and onward, roundtrip/as many trips you want. Correct?

Any recommendations on what to see in those towns? We are not big museums folks and as far as I read, the walking tours at Schwerin Castle is all in German. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I don't know if you checked out Anni's website http://travelanni.webs.com/ She has done sections for the major tourist cities that you mention. She also has the train information there as well.

Thanks for the link. It's quite informative....especially re: Mollie Steam train. It looks like on top of the MVT, i have to get the 3 zone bus ticket to go to Bad Doberan and local bus ticket for Warnemunde/Rostock. Or am I just confusing myself....

Thanks for the link. It's quite informative....especially re: Mollie Steam train. It looks like on top of the MVT, i have to get the 3 zone bus ticket to go to Bad Doberan and local bus ticket for Warnemunde/Rostock. Or am I just confusing myself....

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. Sorry if the info is a bit confusing.

If you wish to visit only Bad Doberan, for the Molli, and Rostock you require only a 3 zone local ticket. It covers all the trains, buses and trams you would require. If you want to go further afield, Schwerin or Wismar for example, as well as into Rostock you need the Mecklenburg day ticket for the trains and single tickets for the tram from Rostock Hbf into the city.

You would not have time to do both Schwerin and the Molli.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification.

It's confusing because some sites say I could use the Lander ticket (to go to Schwerin) for Warnemunde<->Rostock after 9am on weekdays. Guess not.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification.

It's confusing because some sites say I could use the Lander ticket (to go to Schwerin) for Warnemunde<->Rostock after 9am on weekdays. Guess not.

This confusion arises because many people don't understand that there is a difference between Rostock Hbf. (Main Station) and Rostock City Centre. The Lander ticket is valid on the s-Bahn between Warnemuende and the Hbf. but to get to the City Centre you complete the journey by tram on which the Lander ticket is not valid. However, if you only intend to go into Rostock City Centre or the immediate surrounding area, Bad Doberan etc., a local transport ticket covers both the s-Bahn and the tram/bus. You would only buy a Lander ticket if you intend to travel further afield eg. Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund.

Basically all you need to remember is that the Lander ticket is not valid on local trams and buses in Mecklenburg.

Anni

This confusion arises because many people don't understand that there is a difference between Rostock Hbf. (Main Station) and Rostock City Centre. The Lander ticket is valid on the s-Bahn between Warnemuende and the Hbf. but to get to the City Centre you complete the journey by tram on which the Lander ticket is not valid. However, if you only intend to go into Rostock City Centre or the immediate surrounding area, Bad Doberan etc., a local transport ticket covers both the s-Bahn and the tram/bus. You would only buy a Lander ticket if you intend to travel further afield eg. Schwerin, Wismar, Stralsund.

Basically all you need to remember is that the Lander ticket is not valid on local trams and buses in Mecklenburg.

Anni

Ah yes...there's the confusion - thanks for this. I suppose I can skip out on Rostock and just go straight to Warnemunde on the return trip to Schwerin.

Do you think Wismar would be worth the trip?

• 3 months later...
Hi, thank you for your appreciation. Sorry if the info is a bit confusing.

If you wish to visit only Bad Doberan, for the Molli, and Rostock you require only a 3 zone local ticket. It covers all the trains, buses and trams you would require. If you want to go further afield, Schwerin or Wismar for example, as well as into Rostock you need the Mecklenburg day ticket for the trains and single tickets for the tram from Rostock Hbf into the city.

You would not have time to do both Schwerin and the Molli.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Travelanni

I have a day docked in Warnemunde. 8am-11pm mid-October. Assuming I get off the ship at 9, I was hoping to have a few hours each in Schwein and in Wismar then back to explore Rostock. You gave some super train timings on here in 2015. But I've looked on the DB Bahn site and it shows a good 2 hours+ for each leg, and no direct trains. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Travelanni

I have a day docked in Warnemunde. 8am-11pm mid-October. Assuming I get off the ship at 9, I was hoping to have a few hours each in Schwein and in Wismar then back to explore Rostock. You gave some super train timings on here in 2015. But I've looked on the DB Bahn site and it shows a good 2 hours+ for each leg, and no direct trains. What am I doing wrong?

Hi, there are no trains direct from Warnemuende to either Schwerin or Wismar. You have to go to Rostock Hbf (main station) first, about 25mins travel.

Docking at 8am. It is unlikely that you could catch the 9:07 from Rostock to Schwerin, the next train is 11:07. However there is a train to Wismar at just after 10 am so going there first would work better. There are direct trains every hour between Wismar and Schwerin. It might be a bit ambitious to try to do all three places as, although you have a late sailing giving plenty of hours in port, everything closes at 6pm and in October it is dark quite early.

For more detailed train times etc. please see the Schwerin and Wismar pages on my web site.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs com

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, Anni.

Thank you for your appreciation.

For the information of all my friends and cruise correspondents, I will be back in Germany and on-line every day from 3rd August. Had a fabulous holiday in Australia with my family and am looking forward to moving house in the near future, back again to Rostock/Warnemuende. I look forward to meeting Cruise ship passengers and being of any help I can as I do my shopping etc. around and about the city.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi Travelanni,

We purchased the Landers ticket for August 15,2017 intending to go from Warnemunde to Schwerin. The cruise docks at 7:30am. Can we take the S-Bahn train at Warnemunde at 08:33 and change at Rostock for the 09:07 train to Schwerin? The reason I asked is that I thought the Landers ticket is active from 09:00 on August 15. Is the 08:33 S-Bahn from Warnemunde okay for us to take?

Hi Travelanni,

We purchased the Landers ticket for August 15,2017 intending to go from Warnemunde to Schwerin. The cruise docks at 7:30am. Can we take the S-Bahn train at Warnemunde at 08:33 and change at Rostock for the 09:07 train to Schwerin? The reason I asked is that I thought the Landers ticket is active from 09:00 on August 15. Is the 08:33 S-Bahn from Warnemunde okay for us to take?

Hi, most certainly you can take the 8:33 s-Bahn from Warnemuende to Rostock, or any other before 9:00 for that matter, but you will need to purchase a single local transport ticket for each member of your party either from the ticket machine or the office on the station. Your Lander ticket will cover the return journey.

I would advise anyone to take an earlier s-Bahn if they can, the 8:33 does not leave any time for error in Rostock and the next train to Schwerin is two hours later.

Anni

www travelanni.webs com

Edited by Travelanni