What do you do on st Thomas/st John days

Laurba99

Asking this here because we all go to Tortola the day before and we are spending all day on a beach there so curious if you do other things on st Thomas as then we get one more beach day at castaway. MIL wanted to see St. John but now thinking seems far after traveling to another island the day before (going to Jost Van Dyke) If we ferry over we have 2 1/4 hours before dcl port excursion we signed up for has us leaving by ferry again. Is it worth shopping there or cabbing to a beach with that time frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Presumably you are docking at Havensight--do you even know that for sure? If so, there is a huge shopping area right at the dock. WIthin walking distance is the butterfly farm, the cable car ride to the top of the mountain, etc.

For a family day, Coral World and Coki Beach (the beach is right across the parking lot from Coral World. More info if interested or check their web site. This would not work together with a DCL excursion.

Ok thanks! Morning we are separating. Guys zip lining and we are planning St. John but both tours end around 12:30 so thinking we have time to do something else but ship leaves at 4 so assume how to be onboard by 3:30 so hate to cut it close

If you are docked by Havensight, you should have time to return to the ship for lunch and head out again to the mall for shopping and maybe do the Paradise Point skyride. The view from up there is fantastic. You can even see Puerto Rico.

Edited by cruise pup

How do you know beforehand where it docks? Last time I was there in April on Allure and I know we were docked in a newer section for much larger ships but I assumed this ship would dock where our celebrity cruise docked in 2002 where many ships are lined up?

As I told you last night, there is a web site that shows which ships are scheduled to dock where on what date. Sorry, I don't know the url, but I can look it up with Google when I'm planning my cruise. In my experience, Disney usually docks in Havensight, but I've been on DCL cruises to St. Thomas where we tendered to downtown.

There is stuff to do right in the Havensight area as noted above. Alternatively, a taxi to downtown isn't very expensive. BUT almost every store downtown has a branch store in Havensight mall.

Is a 4 hour trip to St. John worth the transportation time? The answer is obviously personal choice, but if I were traveling over, I'd rather stay all day.

Edited by moki'smommy

I was so focused on Tortola when we talked about that-my head wasn't in St Thomas yet :)

I honestly think if you were to write down your questions, and take a little time to think about each one and what further questions you may have, it would save you a lot of time starting so many threads, and posting question after question on each thread. Basically you should slow it down and think about your questions a little more and read all of the information that you receive back.

It comes across as everything is frantic on your part and it doesn't need to be like that. Planning your cruise should be enjoyable!

There are resources on the board like the Tips 2.0 thread sticky, and a quick Google search will often reveal the answer you are looking for.

HTH's!

ex techie

Thank god for you and moki's mommy and shmoo. Hardly anyone else answers questions :)

Other member do answer! And lots!

I mostly answer posts that are more related to ship operations and such having worked on the Magic as a CM for DCL, and also tidbits I picked up from Moki'smommy and others who have cruised as a Guests.

But thanks!

ex techie

My daughter was 7 on our first DCL cruise. One of my favorite memories is her waking me up with an order to get up and look outside. "Isn't it the most beautiful thing you've ever seen?" That was Castaway morning...after what had truly been a suboptimal cruise. There are always those special moments.

Thank god for you and moki's mommy and shmoo. Hardly anyone else answers questions :)

It's because of moki, shmoo and and techie are so diligent, they beat the rest of us to it. I promise if I see anything I can add value to, I would. I'm just not fast enough :p

Happy to get your input too gometros!!

Laura, have you considered whether your 70 year old MIL is going to be up to some of your excursions? I'm guessing she's physically in good shape. Does she get motion sick? Can she manage a tender and a 40 minute boat ride? Those boats are not nice and smooth like a cruise ship. Can she climb off the tender boat into the water? Can she climb the bus steps?

I'm really not trying to be the bad guy here, but want to be sure that you've considered her abilities in each aspect of the excursion. It's not like you're saying "Oh yes, she'll be fine on a beach all day."

I have thought about that and they are good points. I'm more worried about a 45 bus or van ride to a beach on twisting and turning mountain roads so neither was totally ideal but this seemed safer to me. She looks and acts closer to 50. Everyone thinks she is my husbands wife ( he loves that-not!) I'm a little more concerned with the getting off the boat and going into water but as I said I'll help her and they have life jackets and it's better than 45 car/bus ride to me. She also walks a few miles each week at the hs track so she is pretty strong.

Was your question regarding our St. John trip? This was her idea to go there and she had been before so I assume should be fine. Do you bring anything onboard for motion sickness. I may need it lol

My first trip, I did everything possible for motion sickness as I'm horribly motion sick in small boats, park rides, etc. No problem on the ship, so now I don't bother. There is stuff available free from guest services and outside the medical center.

I was thinking in terms of all of your excursions as you've talked about a few. But if she chose it, you are correct...she probably read the description and decided it looks good.

Ok good to know about guest services having medicine for motion sickness. Do you take it beforehand vs after you start to feel nauseated?

No you are right-she hadn't read the description but I explained to her what we are doing. Going to hope for the best. If she gets seasick in Tortola and she decides she can't do another small boat then next day for St. John will the port adventures desk refund our transfer there or can we swap it for something else the night before?

Ok good to know about guest services having medicine for motion sickness. Do you take it beforehand vs after you start to feel nauseated?

No you are right-she hadn't read the description but I explained to her what we are doing. Going to hope for the best. If she gets seasick in Tortola and she decides she can't do another small boat then next day for St. John will the port adventures desk refund our transfer there or can we swap it for something else the night before?

You haven't read the policy. You must cancel excursions 3 days before embarkation to get a refund unless you are so ill that the ship's doctor says you can't go. Alternatively, if they have a waiting list for that excursion and can sell your spots to someone else, you'll get a refund. Otherwise, you'll pay whether you go or not. No, you can't swap it for something else the night before--they have already notified the vendor of how many people will be coming so that appropriate size vehicles were arranged, etc. You can purchase something else if there is a spot open, but again, no money back on the canceled one.