Second upgrade ever happen?

kendon

We are doing a 2 way TA with a break between. In both cases we booked the category that would be acceptable. One was a Cunard rate and the other was just the normal cost. We needed the particular dates so decided not to roll the dice. If the upgrade fairy comes a calling we will take that but under any circumstance we will be happy. One of the crossings is all but sold out so not much chance there if they had not already upgraded us. The other has more cabins available even now. We shall see. Between the two of us we have over 100 days as sea as paying guests and have no upgrades so we do not have any expectations of one when we plan.

Does booking directly with Cunard make a difference? Since I've booked direct, and didn't stipulate that we didn't want an upgrade we have been upgraded. Three times in total. each time we paid the full Cunard fare and had chosen our cabin!

We’ve been on QM2 twice with a third trip upcoming. Each time we’ve booked an inside guarantee. The first two times we were upgraded to a nice inside (deck 11) and this time they upgraded us to a sheltered balcony (deck 4). I was thrilled! This time I found out about the upgraded cabin assignment on the voyage personalizer, within days of booking. We booked with a TA.

Does booking directly with Cunard make a difference?

I do not think it does. Seen many upgrades either way.

Reading comments on this board however leads me to believe that TA's have some unbelievable price deals that you never see on the Cunard site, proving, as usual, that shopping around can be of enormous benefit.

Maybe those of you with upgrades,could mention what they originally booked..e.g cunard fare,saver fare,any last minute deals,guarantee etc etc.

Thanks

Don't laugh, but don't know whether it was a cunard or a saver fare, although I suspect it was the saver. We booked at a cruise show (!) having told them the price we had seen with an online travel agent the day before and asked them to at least match it. In fact, they bettered it so we were already happy.

We had booked an ordinary inside cabin and were upgraded to an obstructed view balcony. We could still see the sea and were absolutely thrilled.

Interestingly, we were emailed by Cunard offering us an upgrade from P2 to Q4 for £300 each. We didn't take up the offer as we would prefer to spend the money when we stay for 2 days in Rome and we're happy with our choice of cabin. We were upgraded free of charge to a Q4 a month later.

I went on the Ryndam with my mother earlier this year and HAL also sent an email offering us an upgrade for a cost. This was despite that I had requested no upgrade. I knew exactly the cabin that was right for my Mother and I. I contacted HAL just to make sure that they knew we didn't want an upgrade and she explained it was a mass email sent out from Seattle who don't take into account preferences, but that our preference not to be upgraded was recognised.

I gather cruise lines offering you an upgrade at a price is a common practise but I had not experienced it till this year.

The upgrade fairy has been very good to us.

Twice, we were upgraded to the Queens Grill on the QE2 from standard outside cabins (ages ago in '98 and '99) On the QM2, we got a small upgrade from one sheltered balcony to another on a crossing and then from sheltered balcony to non-sheltered for a quick jaunt to Canada.

For our upcoming crossing next Spring, we're booked in the lowest sheltered balcony category - but, to be frank, it's not a big deal, since we're not planning on spending much time out there on a North Atlantic crossing in May.

Edited by MarkBearSF

The upgrade fairy has been very good to us.

Twice, we were upgraded to the Queens Grill on the QE2 from standard outside cabins (ages ago in '98 and '99) On the QM2, we got a small upgrade from one sheltered balcony to another on a crossing and then from sheltered balcony to non-sheltered for a quick jaunt to Canada.

For our upcoming crossing next Spring, we're booked in the lowest sheltered balcony category - but, to be frank, it's not a big deal, since we're not planning on spending much time out there on a North Atlantic crossing in May.

Sat out on our sheltered balcony on two days in our 21 June crossing but as we got it for the price of an inside on a special deal, we were quite content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe the length of the cruise also needs factoring in? The longest cruise I've taken is 14 days but usually it's 7 days. It may be easier to upgrade relatively short trips that haven't sold out than longer ones such as world cruises - unless there are loads of cabins available all the way round.

Also - what is the chance of being upgraded once you are onboard if you are on a long trip apart for when their is a problem with the cabin?

We booked in June for the July 14th QM2 crossing and got a cheap inside guarantee cabin. The cost was £699 each including our flights to NYC. We were upgraded to an outside cabin about a couple of weeks before departure. We booked direct with Cunard and it was my second and my daughter's first trip with Cunard.

It was a clever move on Cunard's part, we loved the cabin and will probably book it or similar explicitly in future at least for Atlantic crossings, as having seen them we are no longer sure that we would enjoy an inside cabin.