Future purchase - Waterproof keepall vs regular

Hey,

I am a dude. I am thinking about buying a Keepall B in St. Thomas to save on sales tax.

I am thinking about buying the Waterproof monogram keepall B 55 (3100) vs the Monogram eclipse Keepall 55 Bandoulière (1760).

I personally like the monogram eclipse (black one) more b/c of how it looks. But do you think that there would be any advantages to buying the waterproof keepall? I plan to use this when cruising, but I don't have a yacht so I don't think I would get wet. But does anyone know if the waterproof one will last longer? It is almost 2x the price for the waterproof one, so there is a price gap.

Also I will be traveling with 3 other people, so I can combine their duty free spending and use it for me.

louis-vuitton-waterproof-keepall-55-monogram-canvas-travel--M41411_PM2_Front%20view.jpg

louis-vuitton-keepall-55-bandouli%C3%A8re-monogram-eclipse-travel--M40605_PM2_Front%20view.jpg

You can't combine your duty free savings.

It is my understanding that you can combine it if you claim it as a family...i.e. $800 per person in Euro (STT is different I believe) and 1600 for a 2 person family. no? I haven't done the 2 person thing yet.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

A joint declaration is a Customs declaration that can be made by family members who live in the same household and return to the United States together. These travelers can combine their purchases to take advantage of a combined flat duty rate, no matter which family member owns a given item. The combined value of merchandise subject to a flat duty rate for a family of four traveling together would be $4,000. Purchase totals must be rounded to the nearest dollar amount.

I do think that St. Thomas has a higher duty free allowance, $1600 instead of $1000, but I couldn't find that this morning on the official US govt website (the one I link & quote from above).

Waterproof vs not - honestly, I'm not sure the waterproof is worth the extra money but that's a gut reaction not based on data....

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

I do think that St. Thomas has a higher duty free allowance, $1600 instead of $1000, but I couldn't find that this morning on the official US govt website (the one I link & quote from above).

Waterproof vs not - honestly, I'm not sure the waterproof is worth the extra money but that's a gut reaction not based on data....

Thanks. This was the website I was referring too. It is called a joint declaration. I just didn't know the jargon.

A joint declaration is a Customs declaration that can be made by family members who live in the same household and return to the United States together. These travelers can combine their purchases to take advantage of a combined flat duty rate, no matter which family member owns a given item. The combined value of merchandise subject to a flat duty rate for a family of four traveling together would be $4,000. Purchase totals must be rounded to the nearest dollar amount.

I am thinking the waterproof is not worth the extra. I could use one, ruin it, and then use the price difference and buy an entirely new one, lol